4574070701_d283f3dd20.jpg

5826728927_a04e507037.jpg

Road to Passu - Chitral Mountain Range

The Silk Road and onwards.

Me Para-gliding in Islamabad.

Last edited by a moderator:
800px-Deosai_Plateau_2.jpg

This is a real picture. Deosai Plateau

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

has anyone visited Kuldana? In muree? there is an army cantt there. Beautiful scenery of the mountains far far away as soon as you enter the gate of the cantt.

5023028154_4253af2e2f_b.jpg

Hunza Valley, Gilgit

4929633857_9768afb3c9_b.jpg

Shuwor Sheer, Karomber Pass, Gilgit

4966990865_372141d17a_b.jpg

Phander, Gilgit

4985542647_1c62bf460e_b.jpg

Darkot Village and Darkot An, Upper Yarkhun Valley

4993074204_8b0accf79e_b.jpg

Shyok River, Khaplu, Skardu

5016698265_267e386667_b.jpg

Sokhterabad, Ishkoman, Ghizar

5148842868_60ca5bbf43_b.jpg

Gopus, Gilgit

223098_224054440969431_100000946301989_605472_5618580_n.jpg

[/QUOTE]
This is the famous Trango Tower, a group of dramatic granite spires located on the north side of the Baltoro Glacier, in Baltistan, a district of the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan (formerly Northern Areas). They are part of the Baltoro Muztagh, a subrange of the Karakoram range. The Towers offer some of the largest cliffs and most challenging rock climbing in the world. The highest point in the group is the summit of Great Trango Tower, 6,286 m (20,608 ft). The east face of the Great Trango Tower features the world's greatest nearly vertical drop.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-M99QbbJMYI]Basejump Great Trango Pakistan - YouTube[/url]

always wanted to take a drive on Karakorum highway...possibly the most breathtaking road...how many of you have taken a ride through this highway ?

At least twice and on average thrice every year since I was two :D Been a little mad for these places! But one thing I have to clarify is that the KKH passes through ever changing landscapes and scenery as you drive along. The only thing that remains a constant are the monstrous mountains and the feeling of all your senses being knocked out of you after every 15 min. The question 'has one been on the KKH' is incomplete and too vague. Its a long LONG road. It starts from the hills of Abbotabad to Khunjrab pass (Pak-China border) and then on to Kashgar. Iv traveled from Abottabad till Khhunjrab and everywhere else in between. One more thing: The Gilgit-Skardu road which shoots off from the KKH at Alam chowk, which is approximately a 2-3 hour drivefrom Jaghlot, is never given its dew credit. Its almost always told and known as a section of the KKH which it actually isnt. Up till Skardu its been built on terrain more dangerous and hazardous than the KKH itself. Through out its length is passes through very very narrow gullies and valleys with seriously tall, black mountains of the Karakorum shooting straight up, and I do mean straight up, right besides you. You are always traveling right at the edge of at least a 100 meter drop. Its a beautiful beautiful road passing through even more beautiful places. At least for me that road has always been a more exciting and terrifying experience than the KKH itself. Many people see pictures of those places and they are dumbfounded by the beauty but I promise you that the pictures dont come close to doing justice to those places. One cant even explain the feeling one gets when standing in the middle of it all and taking it all in through sight, smell and sound. Its an overwhelming feeling which starts from the pit of your stomach and overtakes the whole body. Theres no other feeling that comes close to standing right at the feet of the tallest and most precipitous mountains in the world. Iv seen people fall down on their knees and burst out in tears with my own eyes (i promise you that this is not even a little exaggerated). Your life and the world around you suddenly starts looking more beautiful than ever. One always come's back from there brand new with an undying hunger to go back. Id better stop myself now or ill keep on blabbering about the north all night.

The east face of the Great Trango Tower features the world's greatest nearly vertical drop.

Sir just a little correction: The tallest vertical face belongs to Nangaparbat. Its south face, or the Rupal face, runs for 4600 meters straight up. The Rupal face was first climbed by the most famous mountaineer Reinhold Messner and his younger brother Gunther Messner in 1970. Gunther died on the way back.

Bellow are some famous pictures of the great Slovenian alpinist Tomaz Humar stuck on the Rupal face. He was stuck on that same spot for six days before he was rescued by the Pak army helicopters. The rescue itself is considered pretty amazing since it defied all odds.

nanga-parbat.jpg

rupal-face.jpg

The second tallest cliff face belongs to Ultar Sar at arround 3000 meters. I think its either the southwest face or the southeast pillar. You get a fantastic view of the Ultar Sar from Karimabad in Hunza. A pic of the southeast pillar bellow:

sepillarofultarsar.jpg

Then comes the Great Trango Tower's east face:

etrango.jpg

Interesting fact: Reportedly the 11 highest vertical/near vertical faces of the world are all situated inside Pakistan.

always wanted to take a drive on Karakorum highway...possibly the most breathtaking road...how many of you have taken a ride through this highway ?

i have been there on motor bike , car and bus its amazing road :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom