What's new

Pakistan in Pictures

Girls want education too!

The Pakistani girl Malala shot in the head by the Taliban terroists for wanting an education stood up today in a remarkable comeback from her near fatal wounds.

Jisay allah rakhay usay kon chakhay (whoever God wants to save, no one can harm her/him.)
001.Malala_Yousufzai_1604539a.jpg

001.453788-photoafpcover-1350645763-990-640x480.jpg

According to a recent UNESCO report, Pakistan has the 2nd largest number of out-of-school girls. PHOTO: AFP

001.ographedsittinghotherstudentswhilelearninghowtorecitetheKoranattheJamiaBinoriaAlAlamiaSeminaryIslamicStudySchoolinKarachi-1350645735-295-640x480.jpg

A girl Lyba is photographed sitting with other students, while learning how to recite the Holy Quran, at the Jamia Binoria Al-Alamia Seminary Islamic Study School in Karachi. PHOTO: REUTERS

001.natKalashaDurschoolandcommunitycentreinBrunvillagelocatedinBumboretKalashvalleyOctober-1350645702-167-640x480.jpg

Teacher Noorzia Khan, 16, writes letters from Kalasha alphabet on blackboard during a lesson at Kalasha Dur school and community centre in Brun village located in Bumboret Kalash valley. PHOTO: REUTERS

001.classinalessonattheRabiaBeulkhiSchoolforgirlsinQuettasHazaratown-1350645648-549-640x480.jpg

Six-year-old Mozama leads a class in a lesson at the Rabia Beulkhi School for girls in Quetta's Hazaratown. PHOTO: REUTERS

001.untitled.png

Internally displaced girls fleeing a military offensive in the Swat valley hold classes inside a tent at an UNHCR camp in the outskirts of Peshawar. PHOTO: REUTERS

001.untitled2.png

Girls attend a lesson outside a damaged classroom at Government Girls Primary School No 3 which was bombed by suspected militants in Swabi located in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, November 15, 2011. PHOTO: REUTERS

001.untitled3.png

Girls learn how to use computers in a school in Swat. PHOTO: FAZAL KHALIQ/ EXPRESS

[video]https://www.facebook.com/v/420705254651571[/video]

Albeit, Sakesar is a buzzword in the PAF, and i always thought it was located amongst some barren hills, ....how wrong i was.

224512_490802247616742_319612530_n.jpg

The part of SOon Valley Which Recieves Snow Fall in winters ocassionaly is under PAF :p

Actually this is sanctioned hunting. Every year bids are accepted for a single markhor hunt licence which I believe last year went for more than $100,000. This money is then used for the conservation of the markhor and the locals around there. It's actually working well. The markhor populations through out Pakistan are on the rise.

However I too would rather have the money collected some other way.
You honestly think in a country like pakistan that is infested with corruption, 100,000 dollars would go towards conserving the rare species and the locals? Seriously? Please tell me you are joking

You honestly think in a country like pakistan that is infested with corruption, 100,000 dollars would go towards conserving the rare species and the locals? Seriously? Please tell me you are joking

Don't need to believe. I know its happening. I have seen it, have first hand accounts from the locals and the foreigners working on these projects. The rise in the number of these animals is also a testament to what I am saying. There are similar projects concerning the conservation of the Pakistani snow leopards as well. Only this time the shooting is done with a camera instead of a rifle.

The whole point of these projects is to bypass the Pakistani system as much as possible, make the animals generate the funds themselves and make the locals the main players while renowned wildlife agencies, such as the US fish and wildlife services, manage it from above.

Firstly, this way the funds for the animals are no longer dependent on the impotent Pakistani government's whims. Then there is more than this $100,000 that the hunters bring with them. After getting the license they contact local guides, portars, lodgings, drivers, trackers, cooks, etc. This is where the locals make money and loads of it too. This creates a new source of income for the locals tethered to the survival of the animals themselves. Makes their own prosperity directly correlated to the well being of the animal and hence, quite magnificently, makes the locals themselves the most important tool in helping the animals survive, where as before these locals would have the been the primary threat towards the animals. The animals become more than just pelts and horns for them and they become conservationists from poachers. Spreads awareness faster than any info campaign.

I should also clarify that a very limited number of licenses are issued every year. Then on top of that only the animals which have passed beyond their prime of life are hunted. The hunters are constantly monitored to make sure that they abide by the regulations.

ps: Don't take credit away from the Pakistani wildlife foundations. They are doing some marvelous work. Projects for the snow leopards, the himalayan brown bears, the markhor, the ibex, the black bears, the campaigns to rescue the victims of bear baiting and its prevention, etc, etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom