What's new

Pakistan in diplomatic push to reset ties with Bangladesh

Reconciliation will never work that way. It is not only difficult to estimate the reparations, but also the fact that it will have to be made to both sides. Lots of West Pakistani/ Bihari civilians were also killed.

The best thing would be to look ahead to the future and work towards that.

Bihar's that pak abondomed, also what about those in sindh province?

I must say that I am surprised to hear that the military in Bangladesh has so much influence and is alleged to be working behind the scenes to manipulate the government.
I have no evidence to prove it though. It's just my personal analysis ( from 2014 election )based on very simple clue on this matter .I could be wrong .But in 15 February 1996 election BNP didn't survive a month , but AL is still ruling ruthlessly after 2014 election .
So Probably a third power is providing back up to this govt.

Besides ,it's considered sort of taboo to discuss openly in Bangladesh .

And thats the reason military intelligence can perform their work better I believe.

Also military have wonderful image among common people( I am one of them),and who try to abuse armed forces, people will not like them .

So for this wonderful image they can do better work for Bangladesh.

If that is correct, was the military behind the deterioration of Pakistan-Bangladesh ties under the Hasina Wajid as well?
I don't think so. As far I know both countries military have very good relationship.

Hasina's anti Pakistan rhetoric is just political .I don't think Hasina personally dislike Pakistan. And her rhetoric is almost vanished now as it's no longer needed to counter the opposition .

Also Pakistan have some responsibility of buying the enmity of Hasina, as it always supprted Khaleda Zia . So now only Pakistan can solve the problem I believe. It's good to see that Pakistan is trying to do so .

So I hope Hasina will also make friends with Pakistan ,if the offer come from Pakistan first .

@AgNoStiC MuSliM

Last edited:
I thought she survived in politics by essentially using the power of the State to demolish the opposition via political victimization arrests, court cases etc.

There's not much to say about 'intellect' when all she's doing is using brute force to demolish her opposition. 'Intellect' would come into play if she had won without resort to such blatant repression of her political opposition.

On topic - I wouldn't hold out much hope for a dramatic improvement in Pakistan-Bangladesh ties so long as SH is in power. The problem here is her ideology and visceral hatred for Pakistan and people considered sympathetic to Pakistan - India's crackdown on Muslims is not going to change the underlying ideological issues in the Awami League that led to the breakdown in Pakistan-Bangladesh ties to begin with.

So long as Bangladesh reciprocates with its own apology from the Bangladesh government and individuals involved in carrying out atrocities against Pakistani soldiers and civilians in East Pakistan and also carries out trials of all individuals involved in the violence against Pakistani forces in 1971.

Only if Bangladesh promises to compensate Pakistan for all the losses incurred due to war and conflict in 1971.

So long as Bangladesh promises compensation for the victims or family of victims of Pakistani soldiers and civilians murdered by Bengalis in 1971.

Hardliners like you can continue ranting and raving - don't care.

Either move on from the past, or be prepared to pay a price as well for reopening old wounds.

East pak/ bangladesh did not instigate the violence. West pak soldiers deliberately went to east pak to kill civilians.

Did you think that after killing people and committing atrocities, people would not put up a fight?

After the west won against Germany ww1 do you think they had to compensate Germany for the soldiers they lost?

Being soldier comes with risk, its not for fun.

Being soldier comes with risk, its not for fun.
Fighting a violent conflict and triggering civil war instead of continuing to use peaceful means of protest, aka MLK, also comes with 'risk' - it's not for fun and the people engaging in said civil conflict have to be prepared to pay a price. Pakistan owes nothing to Bangladesh.

And you can't with a serious face argue that East Pakistanis faced anywhere close to the discrimination that African Americans in the US suffered - if MLK could protest peacefully and use a peaceful movement for change to affect change, so could have East Pakistanis.

East Pakistanis chose to use violence as a means for change, there is a cost for that approach and that cost was paid.

Now, as I said before, you can either move on from the past and accept it, or be prepared to continue this cycle of hatred and animosity where wounds will be re-opened on both sides, irrespective of the views of trailer trash like Hamid Mir Jafar's in Pakistan.

Pakistan wants brotherly and friendly relations with Bangladesh . 1971 war is now almost 50 years old issue . We should have no dispute now .
71 happened because of two egotistical assholes. Bhutto and mujeeb. Both died at the hands of their own men. For politics they had many many men and women suffer

Thank you for the detailed response.

I must say that I am surprised to hear that the military in Bangladesh has so much influence and is alleged to be working behind the scenes to manipulate the government. If that is correct, was the military behind the deterioration of Pakistan-Bangladesh ties under the Hasina Wajid as well? If yes, what would make the military change course on Pakistan-Bangladesh ties now?

I am afraid @Atlas, an avid supporter of current ruling Awami Leaague regime fed you his biased political view rather than facts. Fact is, in Bangladesh all institutions (including the defense) for a functioning government are almost entirely infiltrated with Awami League party cadres. Defense institutions are heavily corrupt and bought over by regime and in many case influenced by indian infiltration. An interview from a recently retired Lt Gen of Bangladesh army vividly described these situations inside Bangladesh military. India was allowed to setup mini consulate inside Bangladesh military cantonment in the name of issuing visa. Can you imagine that happening elsewhere. Point is, it is not military that is manipulating government, it is current regime with help of india manipulating military and destroyed it as a "defense" institution.

Deterioration of Bangladesh-Pakistan relation is sheer JOINT act of ruling Awami League and india. Just like BJP used hindutva in india, Awami League and india using grossly exaggerated history of 1971 to radicalize (in Bangladesh this radical thinking and activities called "71 chetona") and manipulated public and institutions. It is the current Awami League regime with active indian advise downgraded relation with Pakistan using 71 as their propaganda foundation. If you follow the news on Bangladesh (not news threads posted in PDF), Bangladesh recently got duty free access for trade from China. India even trying to over sell its role on 1971 to tell Bangladesh and its regime not get close with China. You can imagine how india abused 1971 history to shape and influence current Awami League regime policy.

One may ask why Awami League regime which towed indian instructions now taking steps to rebuild relation with Pakistan or get even closer to China?

One: Awami League regime leadership traditionally has closer tie with indian Congress party. Since Congress political demise and rise of hindu radicalism in india, Awami League could not find usual level of alchemy with radical BJP activities like indian citizenship law and fallout implication on Bangladesh.

Two: There is also power struggle between Hsina and her sister Rehana. india for long considered Rehana as a "B team" in case a replacement needed. In last couple of years, under the surface power struggle between Hasina and her her sister heated up. Hasina no longer feels absolutely safe with indians and trying to buy hedge by having closer relation with other countries which she destroyed or downgraded in her early years in power. Turkey is one other example besides Pakistan. Relation with Turkey warmed up a bit recently.

Three: Because of pandemic and economic hardship, regime is in dire need of big funding and revenue income and willing to get closer (than normal) to China.

There are more.....

Last edited:
Fact is, in Bangladesh all institutions (including the defense) for a functioning government are almost entirely infiltrated with Awami League party cadres
Prove that it's a fact . Specially the bold part !

At least I admitted that I have no evidence to prove my analysis, and it's only my personal analysis.

If you are so sure about your analysis, then it's your duty to provide concrete evidences that support your entire analysis .

@idune

Last edited:
I am afraid @Atlas, an avid supporter of current ruling Awami Leaague regime fed you his biased political view rather than facts. Fact is, in Bangladesh all institutions (including the defense) for a functioning government are almost entirely infiltrated with Awami League party cadres. Defense institutions are heavily corrupt and bought over by regime and in many case influenced by indian infiltration. An interview from a recently retired Lt Gen of Bangladesh army vividly described these situations inside Bangladesh military. India was allowed to setup mini consulate inside Bangladesh military cantonment in the name of issuing visa. Can you imagine that happening elsewhere. Point is, it is not military that is manipulating government, it is current regime with help of india manipulating military and destroyed it as a "defense" institution.

Deterioration of Bangladesh-Pakistan relation is sheer JOINT act of ruling Awami League and india. Just like BJP used hindutva in india, Awami League and india using grossly exaggerated history of 1971 to radicalize (in Bangladesh this radical thinking and activities called "71 chetona") and manipulate public and institutions. Its is current Awami League regime with active indian advise downgraded relation with Pakistan using 71 as foundation. If you follow the news on Bangladesh (not news threads posted in PDF), Bangladesh recently got duty free access for trade from China. India even trying to over sell its role on 1971 to tell Bangladesh and its regime not get close with China. You can imagine how india abused 1971 history to shape and influence current Awami League regime policy.

One may ask why Awami League regime which towed indian instructions now taking steps to rebuild relation with Pakistan or get even closer to China?

One: Awami League regime leadership traditionally has closer tie with indian Congress party. Since Congress political demise and rise of hindu radicalism in india, Awami League could not find usual level of alchemy with radical BJP activities like indian citizenship law and fallout implication on Bangladesh.

Two: There is also power struggle between Hsina and her sister Rehana. india for long considered Rehana as a "B team" in case a replacement needed. In last couple of years, under the surface power struggle between Hasina and her her sister heated up. Hasina no longer feels absolutely safe with indians and trying to buy hedge by having closer relation with other countries which she destroyed or downgraded in her early years in power. Turkey is one other example besides Pakistan. Relation with Turkey warmed up a bit recently.

Three: Because of pandemic and economic hardship, regime is in dire need of big funding and revenue income and willing to get closer (than normal) to China.

There are more.....
You pretty much sums up what happened in bd in last 10 years.

From 2009 to 2014 hasina for lust of her power went too far. From 2017 after caa nrc drama she start to slowly changing her tone about india. But from that interview it seems she is not even in full control of bd. That looks scary. We hv to see if she can get bd out of the hole she actually created by herself to remain in power.

But from that interview it seems she is not even in full control of bd
Yes sure , since the interview meets your criteria, so it's gospel no doubt. Surely Hasina doesn't have the full control have Bangladesh . So who actually controls Bangladesh?Oh It's India , I am convinced now !

What a gullible conclusion.

Yes sure , since the interview meets your criteria, so it's gospel no doubt. Surely Hasina doesn't have the full control have Bangladesh . So who actually controls Bangladesh?Oh It's India , I am convinced now !

What a gullible conclusion.
I said she dont have full control. indian secret service did extensive damage because of her lust of power. She probably know this by now and trying to counter it with china. Thats why i said we have to wait and see if she can do that.

I said she dont have full control. indian secret service did extensive damage because of her lust of power.
I disagree . Everyone has the last of power . That's the reason we saw the violence from 2013 to 2015 untill the death of Arafat Rahman Coco .

Suddenly the death stopped all violence of jamat and BNP ,if you can't remind correctly , search the news from those days .

I disagree . Everyone has the last of power . That's the reason we saw the violence from 2013 to 2015 untill the death of Arafat Rahman Coco .

Suddenly the death stopped all violence of jamat and BNP ,if you can't remind correctly , search the news from those days .
Fine. No need to agree with me. Just wait and see. Hasina will try to counter balance india with china turk and pak more and more. Only question will the she be allowed to do that or not.

And this process is under such ruler whom seems many of our brothers dislike very much .

I said that we should carefully observe both side of a coin before making any type of judgment. :)
We still dislike Hasina. Rapprochement however will happen with or without her blessing.

Back
Top Bottom