What's new

Pakistan has made impressive progress in reducing poverty:WB

What people in remote areas of Balochistan need to do is slowly move towards Gwader in coming years.

I think, internal terrorism is likely affecting our economic growth. Hopefully we will come out better soon next two - three years.

No both energy and terrorism.... Energy is more affecting on our economic truth....

Both India and Pakistan are middle income countries, India tilting more towards upper middle income.

High income is $ 12,000 GDP per capita.
I stand correct, but my point still remains the same.

Both India and Pakistan are middle income countries, India tilting more towards upper middle income.

High income is $ 12,000 GDP per capita.

I thought both were low middle-income?

An upper middle-income country would be Malaysia which is way,way ahead of India.

I thought both were low middle-income?

An upper middle-income country would be Malaysia which is way,way ahead of India.

Middle income is where the majority of the world's population is expected to be, and as such, is the widest spectrum. Therefore it is divided into lower middle income and upper middle income. Lower middle income range is $1,200 per capita GDP/GNI to -----------------> $4,000 per capita GDP/GNI.

Upper middle income is from $4,000 per capita GDP/GNI to about $12,000.

Now since Pakistan is less than $4,000 per capita, it sits in lower middle income, Pakistan's estimate is around $3,400. India is around $4,000. So you can see that Pakistan sits at the upper end of lower middle income, and India sits at the lower end of upper middle income. Therefore, Pakistan would soon be upper middle income, but for India to reach $12,000 per capita, will take lot of time.

There is wide disparity in wealth and per capita GDP around the world, and such there is no one way of classifying incomes. I mean, all countries earning above $12,000 per capita GDP are considered 'high income', but the truth is that China or Malaysia are no where near the income levels of US/UK/France/Germany/Qatar etc even though they are all in the same category.

Pakistan has the lowest cost of living in the world which makes the life of an average pakistani better than their counterparts in the region ie india bangladesh nepal afghanistan etc an average pakistani has a larger house has more meals a day has more money for entertainment etc to show this i will tell you about my driver who gets 15000 pkr and has a 4 bedroom house a lcd ac and a motorcycle etc

I think, internal terrorism is likely affecting our economic growth. Hopefully we will come out better soon next two - three years.
If Pakistan can reduce the energy shortage by even 50%, our growth rate will easily touch 5%. Pakistan needs only one thing at the moment, and that is energy: Electricity and Natural Gas.

Its a good news....In spite of as usual animosity in South Asia between India and Pakistan, i wish we should always progress in social indicator...Good Job...
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan has made impressive progress in reducing absolute poverty and improving shared prosperity, according to World Bank report.

“The percentage of the population below the national poverty rate has fallen from 34.7 percent in Financial year 2002 to an estimated 13.6 percent in Financial Year 2011,” according to Pakistan Country Programme Snapshot report publish by the bank.

The reports says, the country has already achieved the fist Millennium Development Goal (MDG) by more than having the proportion of people whose income is less than $1.25 a day between 1991 and 2011.
Furthermore, growth in the real per capital consumption of the bottom 40 percent was a respectable 3.1 percent between 2002 and 2011, it adds. Poverty reduction has been strongest in the traditionally poorer provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh, where poverty rates are now indistinguishable from those in Punjab.

however, the report says, poverty remains much more prevalent in Balochistan, where a sizeable portion of residents are nomadic and live in remote and conflict-affected areas. According to the report, despite this progress, a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to falling back into poverty. “Although Pakistan’s recent gains in poverty were repaid, they remain fragile, in part because many households near the poverty line.” An estimated 23 million people or 13 percent of the population, live on an amount between $1.25 and $1.50 per day, meaning that small reductions in consumption can greatly increase poverty rates.

However, according to report the poverty measurement remains controversial in Pakistan and urges for future efforts are needed to improve poverty monitoring and policy evaluation.

It said, poverty measurement can be institutionalized, in part through more independent and regularized poverty assessments, linking poverty measurements to other human development indicator data base, and the establishment of a constructive partnership between official authorities, donors and academics to promote high-quality and timely measurement of poverty and shared prosperity, analysis, and program evaluation.

Additional data collected at the Moaza or Tehsil level can be used to generate more detailed estimates to help policy-makers better locate poor pockets within districts.

Finally, there is a great need to generate more evidence on the effectiveness of different interventions in reducing poverty, it adds.

Pakistan makes progress in poverty alleviation: WB

let the indian butt hurt start :lol:

I do not think so...Indian are upset when you get involved in our affair...Otherwise, this kind of situation where you are improving which does not any way realted to us...Should not matter...But at the personal level, I am happy that South Asian nations are improving the quality of life for their citizen..

The report also adds the context in which these figures are to be placed, and says a lot about many other important aspects, which are better for discussion. This is just a cherry-picked excerpt.

You keep saying "cherry picked excerpt" what is the point that you are trying to make? Not happy with the progress? A dead economy grows to 3.4 % is impressive in just a year or so. That means, out of 200 million people, many millions got new jobs, more income or profit.....

It's not so much so "internal terrorism" at this point with the military operation going on in Northern Pakistan, it's the political unrest. If the gov't is toppled through violence and force, you'll scare off the Chinese investors and others too. That would be it, then your economy would hit the ditch within a couple of months. Not sure if could ever recover after that.
A democratic system is a single, THE MOST important element in bringing up a moderate & tolerant nation's economy, education, and it people's future. Take a look at India for a second.

The full report is here:

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/extern...d/PDF/875500REVISED000Meetings02014000May.pdf

for anyone who is interested in the complete picture, not cherry-picked quotes.

The other day a boy 16 year old died named Danial, he needed 1 crore rupees for heart transplant his parents went pillar to post even to bait ul maal the last stop which actually helps such familities not to forget they had shabaz sharif office no reply the kid died later shabaz sharif's personal chamcha comes for taziat and says king shabaz will come tomorrow.

I hope bait ul maal is filled with maal No?

“The percentage of the population below the national poverty rate has fallen from 34.7 percent in Financial year 2002 to an estimated 13.6 percent in Financial Year 2011,” according to Pakistan Country Programme Snapshot report publish by the bank.
So what's the National Poverty rate figure?

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan has made impressive progress in reducing absolute poverty and improving shared prosperity, according to World Bank report.

The reports says, the country has already achieved the fist Millennium Development Goal (MDG) by more than having the proportion of people whose income is less than $1.25 a day between 1991 and 2011.
Furthermore, growth in the real per capital consumption of the bottom 40 percent was a respectable 3.1 percent between 2002 and 2011, it adds. Poverty reduction has been strongest in the traditionally poorer provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh, where poverty rates are now indistinguishable from those in Punjab.

however, the report says, poverty remains much more prevalent in Balochistan, where a sizeable portion of residents are nomadic and live in remote and conflict-affected areas. According to the report, despite this progress, a large portion of the population remains vulnerable to falling back into poverty. “Although Pakistan’s recent gains in poverty were repaid, they remain fragile, in part because many households near the poverty line.” An estimated 23 million people or 13 percent of the population, live on an amount between $1.25 and $1.50 per day, meaning that small reductions in consumption can greatly increase poverty rates.

However, according to report the poverty measurement remains controversial in Pakistan and urges for future efforts are needed to improve poverty monitoring and policy evaluation.

It said, poverty measurement can be institutionalized, in part through more independent and regularized poverty assessments, linking poverty measurements to other human development indicator data base, and the establishment of a constructive partnership between official authorities, donors and academics to promote high-quality and timely measurement of poverty and shared prosperity, analysis, and program evaluation.

Additional data collected at the Moaza or Tehsil level can be used to generate more detailed estimates to help policy-makers better locate poor pockets within districts.

Finally, there is a great need to generate more evidence on the effectiveness of different interventions in reducing poverty, it adds.

Pakistan makes progress in poverty alleviation: WB
Congrats to pak..
g8 work
@Aeronaut @Chak Bamu @Manticore @Oscar @all mods and thinks tanks from pak
can you tell me these question ...
1. What programes GOP runs to achieve this ?
2. poverty measurement remains controversial in Pakistan as per report so What are pak official poverty line in $ and waht is the controversy ?
3. What are the private sector role in it?
4. Is education did its role ? what are latest Education enrolment in same period ?
5.Poverty reduction has been strongest in the traditionally poorer provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh, reason for this ?
6. despite huge social sector spending (MNAREGA , NRHM , Food security ) india still struggaling this issue .. waht are learning can be take our from pak experince..
thanks

The report also adds the context in which these figures are to be placed, and says a lot about many other important aspects, which are better for discussion. This is just a cherry-picked excerpt.
--
ays a lot about many other important aspects, which are better for discussion.
can you list down few

You keep saying "cherry picked excerpt" what is the point that you are trying to make? Not happy with the progress? A dead economy grows to 3.4 % is impressive in just a year or so. That means, out of 200 million people, many millions got new jobs, more income or profit.....

Please read the full report to put this excerpt in context and see just how tenuous this positive change is in reality, as clearly mentioned there.

The other day a boy 16 year old died named Danial, he needed 1 crore rupees for heart transplant his parents went pillar to post even to bait ul maal the last stop which actually helps such familities not to forget they had shabaz sharif office no reply the kid died later shabaz sharif's personal chamcha comes for taziat and says king shabaz will come tomorrow.

I hope bait ul maal is filled with maal No?

Please read the dire situation of health care as described in the full report.

Please read the full report to put this excerpt in context and see just how tenuous this positive change is in reality, as clearly mentioned there.

Please read the dire situation of health care as described in the full report.

I don't want to read I am still shocked that the kid's video for appeal was on the internet and every news channel for a week and Gov did not take notice and when he died pml-n chamas comes out from every where and tells boy's father that King's brother would come tomorrow guess what King's brother did not come, you know why? the kid's father donated that money to IK's Peshawar Cancer Hospital whatever he had...such is the hate of noon league.

By the way my personal opinion is IMF is as corrupt as our Gov both for each other keeps happy they shall release statements of praise for each other if Gov specially complies.

Back
Top Bottom