What's new

Pakistan gets 2 Gold in Delhi CWG 2010

not sure of future, but as of now it is 3 medals. May be some other medals assured in the coming events. (final or semi final)
2 boxers have made it to Semi-finals in their categories so bronze is confirmed. If we win in hockey today another would be confirmed so that would take our tally to 6.

3 have been awarded, but others would eventually come as well.

NEW DELHI, Oct 10, 2010 (AFP) - Azhar Hussain of Pakistan won his country's first Commonwealth Games wrestling gold for 40 years on Sunday, beating Ebikewenimo Welson of Nigeria.

Hussain gave an impressive performance of clever footwork and brute strength to take Welson out by a fall in the second session of the 55kg freestyle final.

"We don't have the proper Greco-Roman coaches, but still we went for it and for the country's sake we got the silver in the Greco-Roman and now gold in the freestyle catergory as well," Pakistan's head freestyle coach MH Omar said.

Pakistan had not taken a Games wrestling title since they won four golds in Edinburgh 1970.

"Like Sushil Kumar is for India, now the same Azhar Hussain is for Pakistan -- a champion," Omar said.

Hussain had earlier disappointed the partisan crowd by beating India's Anil Kumar in a tense quarterfinal.

Kumar gave the loyal home support something to cheer about when he took the bronze, beating Craig Pilling of Wales 3-0.

He said: "Bronze is good but I wanted gold. So I'm not at all happy and satisfied. I prepared for gold at these Games for at least four or five years.

"Last night I didn't get adequate sleep. That's why I was tired and couldn't perform 100 per cent. I wasn't feeling very well. I had some stomach problems. I felt like throwing up all the time."

2 boxers have made it to Semi-finals in their categories so bronze is confirmed. If we win in hockey today another would be confirmed so that would take our tally to 6.

3 have been awarded, but others would eventually come as well.

I think you are still not taking it correctly.

If wrestling is concern, then even semi finalist are not assured bronze medal. I was watching DD Sports and heard saying that if someone loose in the initial stages in the hands of who become champion in the final, then he will get another chance to fight for bronze medal.

So if anyone enters final than only medal is assured.

I think you are still not taking it correctly.

If wrestling is concern, then even semi finalist are not assured bronze medal. I was watching DD Sports and heard saying that if someone loose in the initial stages in the hands of who become champion in the final, then he will get another chance to fight for bronze medal.

So if anyone enters final than only medal is assured.
I heard people say that in CWG there is no fight for 3rd and 4th position, so both losing semi-finalists get a bronze. I may be wrong, but today when Haroon Khan reached the semis all the newspapers are saying he is assured at least a Bronze.

I heard people say that in CWG there is no fight for 3rd and 4th position, so both losing semi-finalists get a bronze. I may be wrong, but today when Haroon Khan reached the semis all the newspapers are saying he is assured at least a Bronze.

In olympics it was assured but its not this time in CWG. Because those who get lost by finalist in the initial round are not rewarded. I knew about some bronze medal won by India in the cwg which were because Indian wrestler loss the initial match against the finalist of the same event.

Although remember in olympics, semi finalist are assured bronze. Well Media never try to know the rules.

Also, Fight is not always between 3rd and 4th in the correct format. A person from the initial round will fight 3rd or 4th position person in bronze medal round. (around 2-3 matches total for bronze medal and 1-2 for each individual)

NEW DELHI, Oct 10, 2010 (AFP) - Muhammad Inam of Pakistan won freestyle wrestling 84kg gold at the Commonwealth Games on Sunday, beating Anuj Kumar of India in the final.

Andrew Dick of Nigeria won the bronze

NEW DELHI, Oct 10, 2010 (AFP) - Muhammad Inam of Pakistan won freestyle wrestling 84kg gold at the Commonwealth Games on Sunday, beating Anuj Kumar of India in the final.

Andrew Dick of Nigeria won the bronze

Cool... :victory:

wrestling is a tradition sport in India and Pakistan.

all that neede was a spark......Sushil provided for India ..................hopefully they will provide same for Pakistan

That's impressive...........i just can sit calmly here and will take part in some sport one day for my country.......Shooting and Boxing are my favorite.That's a commitment now.:sniper:

:pakistan:

Surprisingly, Muhammad Inam who won freestyle wrestling 84kg gold at the Commonwealth Games, is an MBA student at the Punjab University.

Inam gives Pakistan second wrestling title

wrestap2.jpg608.jpg

Muhammad Inam wins 84kg event, the tightest in the men’s freestyle tournament at the Commonwealth Games. -Photo by AP

NEW DELHI: Muhammad Inam of Pakistan won his team’s second Commonwealth Games wrestling title within an hour on Sunday — after the country had gone 40 years without a gold.

Inam was outplayed and overpowered by Kumar in the first session but, spurred on by teammate Azhar Hussain’s victory in the 55kg final, the big wrestler found the inspiration to overcome the favourite and the chants of a partisan home crowd.

Inam won the next two sessions by the narrowest of margins to take the bout 4-3.

“I am not satisfied with today,” Kumar said. “I don’t know how but my performance was not up to the mark. I cannot understand why.

“The first half of the bout was on my side but suddenly my opponent’s defence placed great pressure on me.”

Before Sunday, Pakistan had not taken a Games wrestling title since they won four golds in Edinburgh 1970.

The 84kg class was the tightest in the men’s freestyle tournament. Inam earned a shot at gold after defeating Gerald Waldemar Meyer of South Africa in a tough semi while Kumar was trailing in his own semifinal against Andrew Dick of Nigeria before scoring with less than 20 seconds left to take the match.

Dick went on to take the bronze against Meyer, but it was no consolation for failing to make the final.

“I’m not feeling good,” he said. “I was expecting to have the gold.”

DAWN.COM | Sport | Golden boy Inam gives Pakistan second wrestling title

:pakistan:

:bunny:

Back
Top Bottom