What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

SNIPER Targetting Pod

The Lockheed Martin Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) provides positive target identification, autonomous tracking, coordinate generation, and precise weapons guidance from extended standoff ranges. The Sniper ATP is intended for use on the F-15E Strike Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon, A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft, B-1 (Rod Pod), and UK Harrier GR9.[1] aircraft. It has also received operational flight clearance to the full flight envelope of the Canadian CF-18 Hornet. [2] The Sniper ATP is in service with Norway, Oman, Poland, Singapore, Canada, Belgium, Saudi-Arabia[3] and the UK MoD.[4][5] In July 2007, Sniper ATP was acquired by Pakistan, making it the tenth country in the world to be in possession of the Sniper pod.[6] The Sniper ATP contains a laser designator and tracker for guiding laser-guided bombs. The pod also features a third-generation FLIR receiver and a CCD television camera. FLIR allows observation and tracking in low light / no light situations, while the CCD camera allows the same functions during day time operations.

A team of Lockheed Martin UK, BAE Systems and SELEX Galileo (formerly Selex S&AS) has successfully demonstrated and flown a Sniper ATP on board a Tornado GR4 combat aircraft. [7]

The U.S. Air Force initial seven-year contract for Sniper ATP has potential value in excess of $843 million. The Sniper ATP has delivered over 125 pods and the U.S. Air Force plans to procure at least 522 Sniper ATPs.

FEATURES
The Sniper ATP is a single, lightweight pod with much lower aerodynamic drag than the legacy systems it replaces. The Sniper possesses advanced targeting technology and its image processing allows aircrews to detect and identify tactical-size targets outside threat rings for the destruction of enemy air defense mission, as well as outside jet noise ranges for urban counter-insurgency operations. It offers a 3-5 times increase in detection range over the legacy LANTIRN system. It is currently flying on the U.S. Air Force and multinational F-16, F-15, B-1, F-18, Harrier, A-10, B-52 and Tornado aircraft.

The Sniper ATP incorporates a multi-spectral sensor capability with a high-resolution, mid-wave third-generation FLIR and a CCD-TV. Advanced sensors, combined with advanced image processing algorithms and rock-steady stabilization produce target identification ranges that permit operations minimizing exposure to many threat systems. The dual-mode laser offers an eye safe mode for urban combat and training operations, along with a laser-guided bomb designation laser for guiding in these precision munitions.

For target coordination with ground and air forces, a laser spot tracker, a laser marker, and a TV quality video down link to joint terminal air controllers improve rapid target detection / identification. Sniper ATP provides high-resolution imagery highly sought after for the non-traditional intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance mission. Sniper ATP is the only targeting pod being used in Operation Iraqi Freedom on F-15Es and F-16s, and in Operation Enduring Freedom on F-16s.

For ease of maintenance, Sniper ATP's revolutionary optical bed design, optimal partitioning, and diagnostic capabilities permit true two-level maintenance, eliminating costly intermediate-level support. Automated built-in test permits a flightline maintainer to isolate and replace an LRU in under 20 minutes to get the pod back up to full mission capable status. Spares are ordered through a user-friendly website offering in-transit visibility to parts shipment.

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS
Primary Function: Positive identification, automatic tracking and laser designation
Prime Contractor: Lockheed Martin
Length: 94 inches (239 centimeters)
Diameter: 11.9 inches (30 centimeters)
Weight: 440 pounds (199 kilograms)
Aircraft: F-15E, F-16 Block 30/40/50, A-10, B-1, CF-18, ,B-52, Harrier, Tornado
Sensors: Mid-wave third generation FLIR, dual mode eye-safe, laser designator, CCD-TV, laser spot tracker and laser marker
Date Deployed: January 2005

800px-080805-F-8160C-225.jpg

is it true that we will be getting this system,

actually it is a new technology and it do not seems likely that US will give it to Pakistan!

can anyone please inform us!

is it true that we will be getting this system,

actually it is a new technology and it do not seems likely that US will give it to Pakistan!

can anyone please inform us!

PAF Selects Lockheed Martin Sniper Advanced Targeting Pods for F-16

The U.S. government has awarded a contract to Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] for 18 Sniper® Advanced Targeting Pods (ATP), a part of the new Advanced Block 52 F-16 aircraft program for Pakistan. Pakistan is the eighth international customer to join the U.S. Air Force and Air National Guard flying with Sniper ATP. The contract includes spares and training services. Terms of the contract were not disclosed. “This sale culminates a two year combined effort by Lockheed Martin’s Missiles and Fire Control and Aeronautics businesses to upgrade the precision attack capability of one of our key allies,” said Ken Fuhr, director of Fixed Wing Targeting Programs at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control.

“Sniper continues to demonstrate exceptional performance in meeting the requirements and expectations of the Warfighter.” With deliveries [having begun] in 2008, the Pakistan Air Force will benefit from Sniper ATP’s exceptional stability and superior imagery, allowing aircrews to perform intelligence, targeting, surveillance and reconnaissance missions from extended standoff ranges. The Pakistan Air Force joins the U.K. Ministry of Defence; the Canadian Forces, the Royal Norwegian Air Force; the Polish Air and Air Defense Force; the Royal Air Force of Oman; the Belgium Defence; and other international customers with its selection of the Sniper ATP. Sniper ATP is currently flying on the U.S. Air Force and multinational F-15s, F-16s, F-18s, A-10s, B-1s and the Harrier GR9.

Sniper ATPs have accumulated tens of thousands of flight hours in thousands of sorties in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.Sniper incorporates a high-resolution, mid-wave third-generation forward-looking infrared (FLIR), a dual-mode laser permitting eye-safe operation in urban environments, a CCD-TV along with a laser spot tracker and a laser marker. Sniper is fully compatible with the latest J-series munitions and precision-guided weaponry. Its superior detection ranges are vital to pilots, helping keep them out of range of threat air defenses. Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin employs about 140,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services.

Pakistan has ordered 18 of them, but from the MLU we are getting, our existing F-16, after the MLU, will also have the capability to carry the Sniper pod. But whether of not pakistan will order more will depend. They are quite expensive if I am not wrong.

Pakistan has ordered 18 of them, but from the MLU we are getting, our existing F-16, after the MLU, will also have the capability to carry the Sniper pod. But whether of not pakistan will order more will depend. They are quite expensive if I am not wrong.

mean_bird though off topic can this pod be attached to the JF-17 as well without significant changes( and i am talking about the first 50 because they all will have Chinese avionics)........ just curious because JF-17 is likely to become the bulk of our air force, it would be used extensively in counter insurgency missions.
On a side note does the the Chinese have an equivalent to this? I think Blue Sky is more or less belongs to this category.

Originally Posted by mean_bird

now this is the best part for me!

i dont think the US will give us the block 52! but the MLU, tis may be possible! so we may get a chance to use this high tech weapon!

mean_bird though off topic can this pod be attached to the JF-17 as well without significant changes( and i am talking about the first 50 because they all will have Chinese avionics)........ just curious because JF-17 is likely to become the bulk of our air force, it would be used extensively in counter insurgency missions.
On a side note does the the Chinese have an equivalent to this? I think Blue Sky is more or less belongs to this category.

I wish I could answer you, but the only guy who can tell you is one with the technical knowledge of how both of these work, whether or not US will allow it, and if both the above are good then if we can buy enough of them, considering we only bought 18.

In simpler words, I am afraid I have no definite answer and I believe any answer here would also rely on a lot of guess work. My guess would be it won't/can't be used on JF-17, especially the first 50 with Chinese equipment.

i dont think the US will give us the block 52! but the MLU, tis may be possible! so we may get a chance to use this high tech weapon!

They are just two ends of the same coin.

From the way I see things, either we will become a stronger ally and get both MLU and blk 52 or relations between US and Pakistan would almost dwindle to the lowest ebb and we won't get either. I am talking about the short run, or the time by which both of these are to happen i.e 2010-11.

The reason for some people's frustration is that some noobs posted that the first blk 52 were to arrive by jan 2009, which was absolutely false information, and now people are starting to think that the deal has gone sour or that US is 'delaying' the sale. The truth is that no blk 52 was to arrive this year but only in 2010 (around mid ) so this logic of 'delaying' is invalid.

Having said that, its true that Pak-US relation aren't the best these days, and that's why I say either both new and MLU will come if the relation warms (and maybe some other things too) , or neither will come and our relations will go down further.

So everyone is free to think of how the relations will go, but complaining the blk 52 have not arrived yet and are getting delayed has no foundation (IMO)

Thats Atlis I am talking about Z-12 sniper pod we got 3 from south africa the same chap made it who invented the so called super gun later he was killed God knows who killed him. PAF still uses it that tech was transfered by the doc to USA and now they have come up with so called sniper P. by the way the guy was an american who left Yamas and joined South A DOD.

I think his name was Gerard Bull.

That picture of 16 look stunning. Such a beautiful looking fighter and that bubble canopy with 360 degree veiw is till to be bettered 30 years later

Posted By MEAN_BIRD
The reason for some people's frustration is that some noobs posted that the first blk 52 were to arrive by jan 2009, which was absolutely false information, and now people are starting to think that the deal has gone sour or that US is 'delaying' the sale. The truth is that no blk 52 was to arrive this year but only in 2010 (around mid ) so this logic of 'delaying' is invalid.

can you give some link of this info please!

its all over the web that the block 52 were to be deleivered by mid 2007-2008. i my seil heared the news about the US congress DELAYING the F16 till 2010 as they think they are not meant to be used against taliban but against the Indians! these were the words of the news! no misconception in this report sir!

i wish what you said is true but i dont think so!

AIM-120C5s. All PAF F-16s would be able to fire them.

about the AMRAAM from US here is the report from the news wehn the deal was finalized

by Staff Writers
Tucson AZ (SPX) Jan 16, 2007
The country of Pakistan has signed a Letter of Offer and Acceptance for the procurement of 500 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) - generating the largest single international AMRAAM purchase -- and 200 AIM-9M Sidewinder missiles. This is also the first AMRAAM missile procurement between Raytheon Company and Pakistan. Delivery of the AMRAAM missiles will start in 2008 and continue through 2011.
The combined $284 million procurement augments Pakistan's established inventory and will provide the bulk of the air-to-air fire power of the Pakistan Air Force. AMRAAM is a joint U.S. Air Force and Navy program and sets the global beyond-visual-range standard.

It incorporates the latest digital technology and microminiaturized solid-state electronics, making this remarkable weapon more reliable and maintainable, resulting in the highest dependability at the lowest cost of ownership.

Thirty-two countries have procured AMRAAM based on its unprecedented air combat flexibility. The AIM-9M Sidewinder missile is a combat-proven, all- aspect, infrared-guided, short-range air-to-air missile employed by more than 20 countries worldwide.

"This is the largest single purchase of AMRAAM missiles in the history of the AMRAAM international program," said Brock McCaman, vice president of Raytheon Missile Systems' Air-to-Air product line. "The combat-proven 'one-two punch' of Raytheon's AMRAAM/Sidewinder technology will give the Pakistan Air Force the necessary firepower to accomplish vital air defense missions."

and now we have got them, that is what i guess from sir blain post, can any senior please confirm the news!

about the AMRAAM from US here is the report from the news wehn the deal was finalized

and now we have got them, that is what i guess from sir blain post, can any senior please confirm the news!

I think PAF would know, Weather we have them or not does it matter.

can you give some link of this info please!

its all over the web that the block 52 were to be deleivered by mid 2007-2008. i my seil heared the news about the US congress DELAYING the F16 till 2010 as they think they are not meant to be used against taliban but against the Indians! these were the words of the news! no misconception in this report sir!

i wish what you said is true but i dont think so!

The program for the new blk 52 is as follows:

"Pakistan presently operates forty-six F-16A/B aircraft. Thirty-two of these aircraft remain from the original forty aircraft that Pakistan bought in the 1980s. Since 2005, the USAF has transferred fourteen Excess Defense Article (EDA) F-16A/B aircraft to Pakistan. The current Pakistan F-16 program is composed of three Letters of Offer and Acceptance (LOAs). The first LOA providing for the production of eighteen F-16C/D Block 52 aircraft is underway: four aircraft will be ready in June 2010; four aircraft in August 2010; five aircraft in october 2010; four aircraft in Dec 2010; and, one aircraft in December 2011. It is important to note that none of the aircraft will be delivered to Pakistan until the Administration ensures that Pakistan is in compliance with the LOA security notes, and the Administration has so advised Congress."

Source: Written Statement of Vice Admiral Jeffrey Wieringa, USN Director, Defense Security Cooperation Agency Before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on the Middle East and South Asia 16 September 2008

The deal for the arms is as follows:

"The second LOA provides for munitions and includes: five hundred AIM-120C-5 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM); seven hundred and fifty Mark-84 2000 lb General Purpose bombs; seven hundred BLU-109 2000 lb Penetrator bombs; five hundred Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) tail kits; sixteen hundred Enhanced Guided Bomb Unit 3 (EGBU) kits; and assorted bomb fuzes and support equipment. These weapons will be available for delivery to Pakistan beginning in June 2010. However, I would like to emphasize that none of these weapons will be delivered until Pakistan complies with the LOA security notes and the Administration reports compliance to Congress."

Source: same report as above.

Back
Top Bottom