What's new

Pakistan discovers `huge` reserves of iron ore: Officials

Now we have to wait for 30 year to get the benefits. Just like Thar

I doubt it, Shabaz will make this work. Plus since its in Chiniot that means usual suspects will not cry about punjabis stealing resources as i have seen in case of Reko Diq.

I doubt it, Shabaz will make this work. Plus since its in Chiniot that means usual suspects will not cry about punjabis stealing resources as i have seen in case of Reko Diq.

Per Dr. Samar the reserves are spread on 2000 sq. Km compared to reko diq's 100 sq. Km or so.

Good to know, but like the other masses of riches beneath the soil, alongside the massive potential in renewables, alongside the massive manpower we have, none of it will be harnessed due to the corrupt, inept thieves at the helm.

Its not a new discovery. It was well known that there is a little bit of iron in chiniot. Government is just creating hype. Its propaganda. Just like we have heard numerous times previously that Pakistan has massive mineral deposits, which is in fact not true. Pakistan only has some non-metallic minerals which are already being exploited.

Bhai jan the earliest u can expect any work there is by 2025 if done on war footing then may be 2021/22... you need to drill exploratory wells, u need to find the boundary of the reserves then a feasibility needs to be made followed by PC-1, financial closure and finally construction.

Its not a new discovery. It was well known that there is a little bit of iron in chiniot. Government is just creating hype. Its propaganda. Just like we have heard numerous times previously that Pakistan has massive mineral deposits, which is in fact not true. Pakistan only has some non-metallic minerals which are already being exploited.
pakistan has alot of minerals problem is govt is not facilitating it. Reko diq resources were not hype just poor governance, it was confirmed. i dont know how true this news is though

having said that, minerals is not like oil, its not that it will bring billions of free money..thats perception that we should change. without knowledge base econmy we cant do anything. hell, even we had lot of oil like arab countries even so it would nt have been easy for us due to our very large population. we dont have few lakh population like in qatar etc

As the largest steel producer of the world (China produces 48.5% of the world' steel), it's estimated that China's import demand for iron ore may reach 1 billion tonnes in this year of 2015!

China 2015 iron ore imports seen at record - Mineweb

The current iron ore production/supply is as below:
Untitled.jpg

This iron ore reserve is indeed a very good news for Pakistan. Hope Pakistan will be one of the leading iron exporter of the world (currently Australia and Brazil combined make ~70% of world exports. China only imports iron ore, no export) !

:pakistan:

Last edited:
pakistan has alot of minerals problem is govt is not facilitating it. Reko diq resources were not hype just poor governance, it was confirmed. i dont know how true this news is though

having said that, minerals is not like oil, its not that it will bring billions of free money..thats perception that we should change. without knowledge base econmy we cant do anything. hell, even we had lot of oil like arab countries even so it would nt have been easy for us due to our very large population. we dont have few lakh population like in qatar etc
What Pakistan has in good quantities are non-metallic minerals. They are cheaper and having them is not that big a deal. Metallic minerals are far more important to the world and valuable. Pakistan doesnt have metallic minerals in large enough quantity. Only some minor deposits that doesnt mean much economically.

Last edited:
The whole of the punjab iron ore "discovery" is equivalent to 2 days production from BHP Billiton. The difference is the BHP Billiton ore is of a much higher grade, mined open cast and hence cheap. The Punjab "discovery" is like TENS of thousands of sites across the world which are for one reason or another uneconomical to mine. Thats the reality but politics and the urge to earn kickbacks will ensure this is hyped up before it quietly disappears into the mythology of Pakistans discovery of oil and gas bigger than saudis that Zulfi promised existed.

Reko is dead by the way and Pakistan will pay a heavy price for having failed to deliver and pocketed the kickbacks

What Pakistan has in good quantities are non-metallic minerals. They are cheaper and having them is not that big a deal. Metallic minerals are far more important to the world and valuable. Pakistan doesnt have metallic minerals in large enough quantity. Only some minor deposits that doesnt mean much economically.
Baluchistan is mostly unmapped yet there are numerous iron ore deposits.
same is true for kalabagh though they are of low quality(still usable via modern technology)
also huge reserves in chitral but unreachable
than we have reko diq considered as one of the largest in the world.
so we do have them but there poorly surveyed and undeveloped.
when it comes to non metallic ores, they are easily developed with little to no investment thus they are more developed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom