What's new

Pakistan digging 480km long trenches near Afghan border

For starters, my brains are slightly bigger than peas!

Secondly, how do you know that this is the first phase? You must be involved in the project to be so sure, right?

Thirdly you mentioned patrolling by the FC. Patrolling 480 km would need how many FC soldiers? Let's know.

Fourthly your 'perspective' is rather warped.

It will all be mined now.

That is how.

This shitty trench is not enough to check Afghan fighters.

Prasad Bhai,

If this trench is $hitty, then why not help Afghanistan build a better one?

I mean they got billions of dollars of hard earned Indian money. Why not help improve their border.

We dig trench, and India builds wall on Afghan side

And we have good border.

No one will be able to climb the Indian built wall. And in remote case if they do, then they will fall in the ditch.

What da ya think?

how wide is the trenches? looks like 2 to 3 meters.
terrorist only needs to bring a few planks of wood of that length and he's got a bridge or bring a ladder.
still better than nothing.
guard posts and camps along the border with night vision should catch some attempting to cross.

yeap. 3 meters roughly 10 feet.

Guards are on duty.

So this is just part of the defensive plan.

Last edited:
What are they supposed to achieve........Trenches to control infiltration....Really in 2014........

its not just a trench but a gravetrench ,whoever tries it on will be buried there and a fence will be built on top for enemies to come and pay respect to there dead .2016 style

Why are you so worried that Pakistan is trying to stop Afghan insurgency? feel some plans may fall apart? specially after what is being done in Operation Zarb-r-Azb??
moreover, the two tire barbed fence with electricity, hundreds of thousands of lightning poll, many hundreds of thousands of armed security force personal, thousands of posts and bunkers, what have they given YOU?? i mean still India claim that despite all this there is insurgency from Pakistani side :P And remember, the Pak Afghan border is hell of a lot more complex and complicated to protect and guard then Pak India border most of which lies in plain area.

Dear, these things are JUST precautionary measures, will make crossing over a bit difficult, the job of ensuring that they do not cross wont be left to this trench but to the same men who are already guarding our borders.

I am not worried or concern. I simply express my opinion that this measures are not sufficient. Your hard work of digging this trench will be useless you should try some other measure,

Prasad Bhai,
If this trench is $hitty, then why not help Afghanistan build a better one?
I mean they got billions of dollars of hard earned Indian money. Why not help improve their border.
We dig trench, and India builds wall on Afghan side
And we have good border.
No one will be able to climb the Indian built wall. And in remote case if they do, then they will fall in the ditch.
What da ya think?

@FaujHistorian Bhai Itna seriously mat lo Yaar. Main to kahe raha tha inse aap afghan fighters ko Rok nahi sakte. App ke paise aue mahenat bekar jayegi.

Any way its your money and your efforts. You can do whatever you want.

We are already helping Afghanistan to build road and infrastructure. We do not have the sufficient fund to finance trench and walls.

Last edited:
I am not worried or concern. I simply express my opinion that this measures are not sufficient. Your hard work of digging this trench will be useless you should try some other measure,

As mentioned in my post, it is not that Pakistan army will dig a trench and come sleep in there tents thinking the trench will take care of any enemy forces :)
The main aim, as far as i can think of is to make open passage through any point DIFFICULT. It will be the armed patrol, forward border posts and bunkers that will keep insurgency in check. The Trench will just be an additional barrier so that any one cannot cross from any point at there will.

It will all be mined now.

That is how.
Mined? How and where? Are the mines going to be laid inside the trench? Stooopid idea, if they think the terrorists are going to jump inside the trench to cross it! There's something called a ladder. Place it horizontally over the 10 foot trench.....and bingo! :P

Guards are on duty.

So this is just part of the defensive plan.
Guards on duty? :woot: :rofl: An obstacle is of no use to man or beast unless it is covered effectively by fire and observation.

How many guards would therefore be needed to cover 480km of the trench? Let's say there's a minimum section strength post ie,10 personnel every 2 km. So you would need 2400 personnel to cover it. That means more than a brigade would be required permanently.

Now that's just one part of the problem. The second is the logistics to provide supplies including food, water and ammo to these posts. When there is no road infrastructure in 90% of the area, how are the troops going to be supplied?

Then there's the problem of security of these supply columns. How many troops would be needed for protecting these convoys whilst on the move, which includes road opening and convoy protection?

Lastly, I've mentioned a conservative figure of 10 personnel to a post which is probably unwise keeping the threat perception in mind. It will be more viable to have at least 20 personnel per post considering security and duties they have to perform including 24x7 patrolling of the gaps . So that means at least two brigades permanently deployed along the 480 km of trench! Wow!

That's a lot of manpower deployed to prevent a small band of yahoos trying to cross!! :cheesy:

Last edited:
Mined? How and where? Are the mines going to be laid inside the trench? Stooopid idea, if they think the terrorists are going to jump inside the trench to cross it! There's something called a ladder. Place it horizontally over the 10 foot trench.....and bingo! :P

Yeah and if they survive the sentry fire, after the bingo there will be bang bang !

defence.pk/threads/if-christians-continue-to-grow-theywill-outnumber-us-by-2100-saysmuslim-group.334738/page-4

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom