What's new

Pakistan, China drop 5 CPEC energy projects

Why make 10x660mw from imported coal when thar coal is there and better option? Also gas plants are cheaper per unit then imported coal. And looking at world situation right now, gas prices are never going up again. In fact they will continue to go down.
this was exactly the argument of PPPP and now we all hate them for it. otherwise PPPP performance wasnt much different than PML N
answer is "time", will take 10 -15 years to develop thar, secondly its too risky for private investors to go into thar
no gas is not cheaper than imported coal

this was exactly the argument of PPPP and now we all hate them for it. otherwise PPPP performance wasnt much different than PML N
answer is "time", will take 10 -15 years to develop thar, secondly its too risky for private investors to go into thar

Exactly, PPP was being stupid as usual but it's not like before N won anyone was lining up to invest in thar coal either.

Thar will take another 5 years to produce 4000MW. But there are lot's other projects under construction which will be added by 2023. First thar coal plant will produce electricity by 2019.

Per unit price of gas plant in punjab is cheaper then from imported coal.

cost will still be 60% of crude oil still expensive only very slightly less than imported LNG, i will import LNG any day vs pipeline unless they bring it down to 45-50% of crude oil, and another 3-4 billion dollars for pipeline, plus risk of sanctions from your biggest export destination.

Iran-Pakistan pipeline doesn't cost $12-$16 billion. You have to factor in the upfront cost. And having electricity is always better than not having electricity. That's a universal truth.

my question still stand what will you do for short term? your have said no to coal, gas is expensive, not as much it was previously but if oil hits 70 it will double

Here's your question:

what is the short term solution to load shedding that would ensure 24 hours electric supply?​

The shortest possible fix is Iran-Pakistan pipeline. That's a fact. If you don't like facts then there is nothing I can do.

your have said no to coal

I love coal. I never once said "no" to coal. What I did say was, "...write a $16 billion USD cheque and I'll get the project started." I stand by this offer.

Agreed.

Do you have the money to develop the infrastructure and the project though? It doesn't fall out of the sky.

Last edited:
Is that all the discussion here in English? I just thought it might be the native language of Pakistan.

Is that all the discussion here in English?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the discussion is mostly in English.

I just thought it might be the native language of Pakistan.

Pakistanis are multilingual. We speak English, Urdu (national language) and a local language (Punjabi, Pashto, Balochi, Sindhi, etc). There are over 73 languages spoken in Pakistan. Here's an interesting article if you're into languages:

While Hydro-Electric power plants vis a vi Dams take long time to make, this is what Pakistan really needs
We should strongly push on or experts to review the following proposal; already presented to WAPDA years ago and shelved only for lack of funding

It is a plan to use our own Hydro-Electric Power (no need to import coal or other fuels), it will help manage the water, and prevent flooding so as to limit the effects of natural disasters which can cost the nation Billions if not Tens of Billions each year when floods are bound to occur

We should focus on nuclear power, coal is deadly for environment especially the already grave situation of winter smog will be increased manyfold.
China has the best coal technology for this, the polution is very low.
When criticise, better check in detail instead of just following media and public opinion. that is why everybody gets a brain.

These 5 Projects were not Feasible at all... good thing they dropped it

Or else would have been major Failures

Just Like 4500 MW Bhasha Dam & 1100 MW Kohala Dam should Give 4500 MW Dasu Dam and 7500 MW Bunji Dam

Well if the projects are unfeasible, it was wise to drop the five projects.

Back
Top Bottom