What's new

Pakistan buys 13 F16 from Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
No hush hush required, Jordan is pentagons back office.

Of course it's being funnelled via Jordan by US but it's being done very quietly.

Next one would be AIM-9X and if we still remain lucky, MLRS

Yes, it's being reported since a few months... Hope for the best:)

One possibility might be, and I am speculating, that some agreement has been reached on post withdrawal settings in the region.

And why would be that?

indian lobbying of course, you do remember the trouble george bush was in congress when approving f-16s. if it comes to congress it wouldnt go quietly and a huge list of undoable things will be attached.
that is the case with the frigates that were to be given to pak navy

indian lobbying of course, you do remember the trouble george bush was in congress when approving f-16s. if it comes to congress it wouldnt go quietly and a huge list of undoable things will be attached.
that is the case with the frigates that were to be given to pak navy
US doesn't give a damn about India's objections. It has and will keep arming Pakistan against India.

No idea! We did not see the usual DSCA announcement or did I miss it?

We didn't bought F-16's from America. All we needed was permission from America. Normally in Pakistan case, it usually comes through congress or senate. But some exceptions exist which can be exploited and were exploited where President can approve directly and quietly without ny notification

@Oscar why oh why dont we change the paint scheme on our Solas. I mean it is the WORST scheme of all the forces fielding the Solas.

Some orange, some desert camo, something, anything other than boring gray.

Please convey this to higher ups. One or two planes should have bright orange or a fluorescent color like the Turks.

US doesn't give a damn about India's objections. It has and will keep arming Pakistan against India.
what i meant is that both govt lobby for and against weapon sale to pakistan. now adays we all know our image has gone from average to worst especially after bin laden saga, simultaneously india has become the forefront to USA proxy against china

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who visited New Delhi around the same time, was strongly told that any sale of fighter jets to Pakistan might affect India-US relations. The US in turn tried to placate an incensed India over Washington's impending arms sale to Pakistan by offering to sell more weapons to New Delhi. India also sacked its high-profile US lobbying firm, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer and Field, in order to make a fresh start and inroads into the US establishment. Pakistan, at last count, has appointed no fewer than eight law firms to plead its case in various forums of the US legislature and executive.
Late last year, Washington pledged a $1.2 billion arms package to Islamabad, though there was no categorical mention of the F-16 jets
In December, India claimed a partial victory in thwarting Pakistan's F-16 shopping spree by saying that Belgium had agreed to New Delhi's request not to sell the fighter jets to Islamabad. The issue of Pakistan's formal request to Belgium to procure F-16 jets was taken up with the Belgian authorities in September 2003
, Indian Defense Minister Pranab Mukherjee said in parliament. "Given the sensitivity of the geopolitical situation in South Asia, the Belgian government took a conscious decision not to sell F-16 fighter aircraft to Pakistan," Mukherjee announced amid desk-thumping by the lawmakers.
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/GB10Df05.html

Thank you sir for very informative, I appreciate it.

The MLU was carried out on the Peace Falcon II Purchase. These aircraft are from Peace Falcon-I mostly and of 2sq RJAF(which may be put on cold status till a new platform arrives to take its place or F-16s from other squadrons are assigned to it)

2sq RJAF had 14 airframes assigned to it from 220 to 235 but 224 crashed in 2008 leaving 13 airframes which are now the PAF's.

Block 40 is a vague descriptor. Block 40 may mean structural standards, avionics standards.. etc. In terms of structure, the Peace Falcon-I articles are capable of mounting the latest engine which is the PW-220E. In terms of avionics they are essentially Block-15s and not MLUs. A MLU may be performed on them using the same process from TAI as those from Peace Falcon-II.

These are F-16 Block 15 ADFs.. they have been MLU'ed but that standard of MLU is old and essentially out of date. It does allow them however the ability to use the AIM-120 AMRAAM which makes them potent Air Defence aircraft.

Still, If I am to understand the PAF's idea.. these airframe may be MLU'ed again through TAI to bring them up to the current PAF MLU standard or they may be left as they are. 13 aircraft are insufficient to form a new squadron so it is possible.

The PAF had 32 F-16s left over from Peace Gate-I&II .. Since then it received 12 F-16 A/Bs(some in MLU and some not) from its Peace Gate III & IV order of which 11 are left after 1 crashed in 2008. That gives it 43 F-16 A/B(MLU).. add to that the 18 Block-52..which makes it 61 and now the 13 RJAF F-16ADF which makes it 74 aircraft.

Now both 5, 9 and 11 sqs have 18 F-16s each. An option may be taken to beef up 9 and 11 sq with 6 and 7 F-16s to beef their strength or somehow 5 other F-16s have to be found to form a squadron.

Apparently they have.
@VCheng @orangzaib Possibly one of the quietest deals in history in terms of the US DSCA ???

I don't know all the laws about DCSA and associated regulations. But I do know one thing, the notification had to have happened in some form or shape. There are multiple factors here. For example, if these plans were to be used in an offense against the Taliban or in support of the coallition forces, then the Pentagon (I believe) and / or the US president has the authority to issue a waiver or bundle this with other munitions deal. There could also be that Jordan wants to buy something else and they signed some contract say 3 years ago, and the terms of those contract include stipulations that Jordan will have the option to sell these jets back to the US or someone else. Now in this case, these are older versions compared to the USAF and ANG standards. So theoretically or technical, these would then become EDA's. In which case, MNNA status means they go to one of the MNNA allies and thus what you guys refer to "quiet transition". But its never that silent. The US has extremely strict laws and punishments (Boeing and other have been through those due to doing business in China, etc before). So things don't slip away. They either have a waiver or the law backing up the transfer to an MNNA country due to certain classification for EDA's. Plus the US would still get more business by providing further upgrade kits to Pakistan (or has already provided so). So nothing is new here. It's just how this was packaged and put together.

Plus, no matter how much the Indians object to this, 16 or even 50 or 75 fighters don't really present a danger to them. 50 or 75 used jets is no offensive force when the Indians have SU-30's, Mirage 2000-9's, Mig-29's and to-come-soon Rafale state of the art planes (not to count other forms of the Migs and the strike packages including Jaguars, etc)....combined number is about 450-500 specific to just Pakistan. What could 32 or 50 or 75 jets do offensively? Probably not much. The only role these planes will have is to defend the Pakistani airspace.

Last edited:
"dumb move should spend the money on thunder but heck dumb paf top brass."[/quote]

sir I think high rank officials have served the country for more than 35 years. they are more aware and experienced about the current situations. if they have taken a decision, it would be the best at this time.

The MLU was carried out on the Peace Falcon II Purchase. These aircraft are from Peace Falcon-I mostly and of 2sq RJAF(which may be put on cold status till a new platform arrives to take its place or F-16s from other squadrons are assigned to it)

2sq RJAF had 14 airframes assigned to it from 220 to 235 but 224 crashed in 2008 leaving 13 airframes which are now the PAF's.

Block 40 is a vague descriptor. Block 40 may mean structural standards, avionics standards.. etc. In terms of structure, the Peace Falcon-I articles are capable of mounting the latest engine which is the PW-220E. In terms of avionics they are essentially Block-15s and not MLUs. A MLU may be performed on them using the same process from TAI as those from Peace Falcon-II.

These are F-16 Block 15 ADFs.. they have been MLU'ed but that standard of MLU is old and essentially out of date. It does allow them however the ability to use the AIM-120 AMRAAM which makes them potent Air Defence aircraft.

Still, If I am to understand the PAF's idea.. these airframe may be MLU'ed again through TAI to bring them up to the current PAF MLU standard or they may be left as they are. 13 aircraft are insufficient to form a new squadron so it is possible.

The PAF had 32 F-16s left over from Peace Gate-I&II .. Since then it received 12 F-16 A/Bs(some in MLU and some not) from its Peace Gate III & IV order of which 11 are left after 1 crashed in 2008. That gives it 43 F-16 A/B(MLU).. add to that the 18 Block-52..which makes it 61 and now the 13 RJAF F-16ADF which makes it 74 aircraft.

Now both 5, 9 and 11 sqs have 18 F-16s each. An option may be taken to beef up 9 and 11 sq with 6 and 7 F-16s to beef their strength or somehow 5 other F-16s have to be found to form a squadron.

14 aircraft were delivered from the embargoed quota. 32+14+18=64 minus one attrition, it was 63. Add 13 from Jordan, it is 76 as quoted in the media.

And i believe the ACM as said that we will upgrade them further. Makes sense since Pakistan ordered around 60 MLU kits, or had approval for those.

76/4=19 jets per squadron if 4 squadrons.

V5jW8eN.png
ZnWRvBk.png

F-16 At 40 – Pt.7 – Royal Jordanian Fighting Falcons
by Paul Dunn | Apr 10, 2014 | F-16 at 40, Feature, Military Aviation | 0 comments

One of a number of States in the Middle East to operate the F-16, Jordan has been a keen purchaser of second hand jets over the last two decades, building up a substantial fleet in the process. Paul Dunn gives an overview of the RJAF F-16 fleet, with images by Kevin Wills.

kw1.jpg

© Kevin Wills – The Global Aviation Resource Family of Websites

In 1994, Jordan signed a peace treaty with Israel, bringing to an end around 40 years of animosity between the two neighbouring nations, which had led to war on several occasions. This new era of peace brought some concessions from the US, in particular relating to the supply of military hardware. The Jordanian government quickly made known its desire to bolster its Air Force (the Royal Jordanian Air Force) with the acquisition of F-16s, in the form of used, ex-USAF airframes.

kw2.jpg

In the mid-1990s, the end of the Cold War was bringing with it large shifts in the size and composition of the USAF; increasing numbers of surplus F-16C/Ds were passing from the reduced number of active duty units, and mainly replacing earlier aircraft in service with the ANG. The Guard had also seen its air defence role virtually disappear, and these two factors collectively meant the demise of the F-16 ADF (Air Defence Fighter). This was the only version of the F-16 to serve the US as a dedicated fighter aircraft, and equipped many ANG units in the late 1980s and early 1990s. However, its career as such was cut short by the change in the international political situation, and aircraft were placed in storage with plenty of life left in them. These jets were to prove popular with several countries looking to add a capable interceptor aircraft to their air forces at a relatively reasonable cost.

kw3.jpg

Jordan was one such nation; shortly after the signing of the accords with Israel, it entered into negotiations with the US for acquisition of an initial leased batch of F-16s. Before such a deal could proceed, the US was keen that its closest regional ally, Israel itself, approve of the transaction. In fact, Israel gave the deal its full support, presumably seeing Jordan as a moderate influence in a turbulent region, and a nation with which it was able to build closer ties. In July 1996, a lease agreement was signed by the US and Jordan for 16 F-16s (12 F-16As and four F-16Bs), all of which were Block 15OCU upgraded to ADF standard. The aircraft were in storage at AMARC, having previously served with the ANG, and were to be refurbished at Ogden Air Logistics Center at Hill AFB, UT, before being delivered to the RJAF. The deal was dubbed Peace Falcon I.

kw4.jpg

The first of the Peace Falcon I jets was delivered to Al Azraq (As Shaheed Muwaffaq Al-Salti) AB in Jordan in December 1997. The initial aircraft were allocated to the 2nd Squadron RJAF, bringing a huge upgraded in air defence capability for the country. For the first time, the RJAF had an interceptor capable of launching BVR (beyond visual range) weapons; although the aircraft supplied were able to fire the AIM-120 AMRAAM, this weapon was not covered by the initial deal, so the RJAF used the less capable AIM-7 Sparrow at first.

kw5.jpg

Delivery of this first batch was completed in 1998, and shortly thereafter, negotiations for the supply of further airframes began. These talks came to fruition in 2003 when delivery of a second batch of 17 aircraft (16 F-16As and a single F-16B) began. Many of these Peace Falcon II aircraft were actually delivered into storage, pending the integration of the MLU (Mid Life Upgrade) package. The aircraft were upgraded by TUSAS in Ankara, Turkey and entered service in 2007-09.

kw6.jpg

The Jordanians were to add four further batches of used F-16s (Peace Falcon III-VI) over the next few years, from a different source. Both Belgium and the Netherlands bought large fleets of F-16s, but in more recent years both sought to reduce the size of their air forces. Both nations sought to sell off their surplus jets, by this stage consisting of upgraded Block 20MLU standard aircraft which were much more capable than the Block 15 ADFs already in service. Notably, the MLU aircraft were multirole machines, able to perform attack missions in addition to air combat.

kw7.jpg

The total number of aircraft acquired from the European nations so far is 31, the majority (18 F-16AMs and seven F-16BMs) coming from Belgium, the remainder consisting of six F-16BMs acquired from Holland. These are apparently to be joined later this year by a further 15 jets acquired from Holland, which would bring the total number of aircraft operated to close to 80. However it was recently reported that ‘a squadron’ of MLU F-16s has been sold to Pakistan, although it is not yet known which aircraft are involved in this deal.

kw8.jpg

Progressive acquisition of more batches of F-16s has allowed Jordan to upgrade its Air Force, which had up until then relied on fairly old F-5E/Fs and Mirage F1CJ/EJs. All of these earlier types are thought to have been retired, in favour of the F-16 and currently, Jordan has three squadrons equipped with F-16s. The 2nd Squadron operates the former USAF F-16 ADF Peace Falcon I aircraft and purely has an air defence role. The 1st and 6th Squadron operate Block 20MLU standard aircraft, with a multirole tasking. The F-16 fleet remains concentrated at Al Azraq AB in eastern Jordan where it has been based throughout its Jordanian service career.

kw9.jpg

more
F-16 At 40 – Pt.7 – Royal Jordanian Fighting Falcons | GAR

Next time we look at a pilot’s eye view of going to war in an F-16…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom