What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

@PAR 5 it's starting to seem that the PA ordered a package: VT4 and SH15. But in 2018, NORINCO said it won tests for the 8x8 AFV and mobile SAM too, but the mobile SAM went elsewhere. So, did the PA only shelve the AFV?

IIRC it was a maintenance/rebuild/upgrade contract for the T-80UDs and additional 1,200 hp engines for the AK1.

No need to re-engine the VT4. It's a tight and integrated package, so swapping the engine out would be a chore. The PA wouldn't have ordered it if the VT4 as-is didn't make the cut, so it ordered exactly what NORINCO brought to the tests.

Pakistan Army has ordered around 300 VT-4 Tanks. 176 of these tanks have been purchased (along with support equipment and spares etc) and the initial batch is currently loaded onto a ship and on its way to port Karachi. Army has paid around US$859M out of its own pocket to NORINCO at this time. The second batch of VT-4's will be delivered in the next few years as well.

Pakistan Army has also ordered the Chinese SPH (155mm) recently tested (against the South African SPH) and qualified. I do not off hand have the numbers and the amount paid to NORINCO for this project.

I do not currently have an update on the Chinese mobile SAM and AFV

Pakistan Army has ordered around 300 VT-4 Tanks. 176 of these tanks have been purchased (along with support equipment and spares etc) and the initial batch is currently loaded onto a ship and on its way to port Karachi. Army has paid around US$859M out of its own pocket to NORINCO at this time. The second batch of VT-4's will be delivered in the next few years as well.

Pakistan Army has also ordered the Chinese SPH (155mm) recently tested (against the South African SPH) and qualified. I do not off hand have the numbers and the amount paid to NORINCO for this project.

I do not currently have an update on the Chinese mobile SAM and AFV

i heard 250 units of sh15?
Yes i can verify 300 VT4 have been ordered, first shipment on its way ..

Last edited:
i heard 250 units of sh15?
Yes i can verify 300 have been ordered, first shipment on its way ..
Total of 500 units of MBT and 155MM SPH,
that is a lot, any other land systems in negotiation or corporation?

The more you order, the lower the price of each unit

Yep, Thailand got 49 at $ 5.6 million a pop.

@Dazzler @LKJ86 which areas will be covered by the FY-4 ERA.

@Dazzler

Any good upgrades relative to AK-1.

I see ERA on the hull, roof, turret frontal ark, and some coverage at sides. Production of AK-1 will continue until 220 units are delivered.

Last edited:
Buyer could be Pakistan
99% confirmed.

Total of 500 units of MBT and 155MM SPH,
that is a lot, any other land systems in negotiation or corporation?
I think such huge deal is impossible to be foot by PA alone. Rumour is the Arabs are financing this this deal too. Maybe they are sick of Indian anti- Muslim stance recently. It's time to teach India a lesson.

According to new pictures published on April 22, 2020, to the China Defense Blog, the latest version of Chinese-made Main Battle Tank (MBT) VT4 is now protected with new armor ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) Level FY-4 providing protection against Tandem Warhead ammunition. According to our previous analysis, the first version of the VT-4 MBT was fitted with ERA level FY-2.

The VT4 MBT (Main Battle Tank) is now in service with four armed forces in the world including China, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Thailand. The VT4 also called MBT-3000 is a third-generation Main Battle Tank (MBT) designed, developed and manufactured in China by NORINCO (China North Industries Corporation).

whoever wrote this funny article... must be living in a parallel world

@PanzerKiel
Why did South African(SPH)failed as compared to Chinese one?

Back
Top Bottom