What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

We now seem to be going for local manufacturing or towards a new tank based on VT4.

No ToT given for VT4, AK2 will independent tank of VT4

No ToT given for VT4, AK2 will independent tank of VT4
They will buy the tech they need directly from China. Like the engine and internal C4I stuff. Other than that there isn’t much to be added that Pakistan shouldn’t be able to make on its own. CITV, RWR, better ERA, RWS, even an auto-bore sight system could be locally made, though I suspect that last one will come from China if they do get it.

Recently had a conversation with some knowledgeable Chinese members on another platform about the FY-4 ERA present on our VT-4s.
Some photos have suggested that the performance of FY-4 is similar to later models of Kontakt 5 ERA used on T80UD and T90S.
5A951A30-9531-47BB-BE60-E8E72B0B5CFE.png

Particularly this image on the right. This performance would make it decent but not anything new.

However according to them the performance claimed in this photo is for an older style of FY4 that had a thickness of 85MM, whereas the one used on Type 99A and VT-4P is thicker, 100MM and more in some areas.

Secondly, They said that the FY4 is tested Against modern ammunition, namely BTA-4 APFSDS, which more penetration, which makes the testing characteristics much stricter than that of K-5.

Lastly the performance quoted for it is “No less than 30% reduction of penetration against APFSDS and no less than 70% against HEAT. As well as Protection against tandem warheads
Where as the K-5 claimed protection of upto 30% against APFSDS and upto 70% against HEAT. The difference in usage of words can be substantial here.
K-5 also does not provide any proper protection against tandem warheads, and it was tested against older ammo with less penetration.
All of This already means that the FY-4 provides substantially better protection than the Kontakt-5 ERA equipped on T90S and T80UD. Even more so if the numbers provided in the picture are for the thinner 85MM version.

Bottom line is, not much is getting through this armor. Now I hope this ERA (or if possible, even better Ukrainian ERA) is used on the Al-Khalid-2. Both of these tanks could also do with ERA or added protection on the sides, that, or give them both an APS, then these already well protected tanks will be basically Immune to most things our adversary can throw at them.

Recently had a conversation with some knowledgeable Chinese members on another platform about the FY-4 ERA present on our VT-4s.
Some photos have suggested that the performance of FY-4 is similar to later models of Kontakt 5 ERA used on T80UD and T90S.
View attachment 763281
Particularly this image on the right. This performance would make it decent but not anything new.

However according to them the performance claimed in this photo is for an older style of FY4 that had a thickness of 85MM, whereas the one used on Type 99A and VT-4P is thicker, 100MM and more in some areas.

Secondly, They said that the FY4 is tested Against modern ammunition, namely BTA-4 APFSDS, which more penetration, which makes the testing characteristics much stricter than that of K-5.

Lastly the performance quoted for it is “No less than 30% reduction of penetration against APFSDS and no less than 70% against HEAT. As well as Protection against tandem warheads
Where as the K-5 claimed protection of upto 30% against APFSDS and upto 70% against HEAT. The difference in usage of words can be substantial here.
K-5 also does not provide any proper protection against tandem warheads, and it was tested against older ammo with less penetration.
All of This already means that the FY-4 provides substantially better protection than the Kontakt-5 ERA equipped on T90S and T80UD. Even more so if the numbers provided in the picture are for the thinner 85MM version.

Bottom line is, not much is getting through this armor. Now I hope this ERA (or if possible, even better Ukrainian ERA) is used on the Al-Khalid-2. Both of these tanks could also do with ERA or added protection on the sides, that, or give them both an APS, then these already well protected tanks will be basically Immune to most things our adversary can throw at them.

Duplet was being studied for improving local era. It will be on AK-1 for test purpose.
Zaslon APS was also tested.

31973483284_c2d8a04851_z.jpg
31973482164_a1953a48c6_z.jpg
32816308775_345c8e7574_z.jpg

Hello! For some time, I learn the question of the characteristics of the main battle tank VT4.

In particular, I now study the issue of transmission.

At the moment, I saw some statements that the transmission of VT4 MBT provides 2 or 3 reverse speeds (the exact values differ from notes to a note) and speed of reverse approximately 20-40 kilometers per hour. However, I did not meet any documentary evidence of this.

Some time ago, Monochromeelody suggested to me that the general scheme for CH1000 and CH1000B is 5 forward gears and 2 rear gears.

In turn, indirectly It's being confirmed by the old report of the CCTV, where it is possible to clearly see the AT shifter's R1 and R1
1752402821_VT4ATshifter.png.e6408c5a85ea7cc9da25c7c78fe4cb0e.png

So, the first and the main question is the exact (or approximate) value of reverse.

I saw video from Testing in Pakistan (as far as I could understand) (
), however, on the moment when the VT4 starts moving back, the frame switches, so, is it possible to know at least the approximate value of the maximum speed of the reverse speed?

And the second question is about that video with testing: the video was not accelerated? I mean, it's pretty fast turning both of hull and the turret.

Hello! For some time, I learn the question of the characteristics of the main battle tank VT4.

In particular, I now study the issue of transmission.

At the moment, I saw some statements that the transmission of VT4 MBT provides 2 or 3 reverse speeds (the exact values differ from notes to a note) and speed of reverse approximately 20-40 kilometers per hour. However, I did not meet any documentary evidence of this.

Some time ago, Monochromeelody suggested to me that the general scheme for CH1000 and CH1000B is 5 forward gears and 2 rear gears.

In turn, indirectly It's being confirmed by the old report of the CCTV, where it is possible to clearly see the AT shifter's R1 and R1
1752402821_VT4ATshifter.png.e6408c5a85ea7cc9da25c7c78fe4cb0e.png

So, the first and the main question is the exact (or approximate) value of reverse.

I saw video from Testing in Pakistan (as far as I could understand) (
), however, on the moment when the VT4 starts moving back, the frame switches, so, is it possible to know at least the approximate value of the maximum speed of the reverse speed?

And the second question is about that video with testing: the video was not accelerated? I mean, it's pretty fast turning both of hull and the turret.
Hello, First of all, yes, the part where the tank and it’s turret are turning in the video is definitely accelerated, you can see that by how the dirt moves. The part where it is driving is not accelerated.
However, VT-4 is still very mobile regardless, particularly in the case of Pakistan, due to upgraded 1500HP engine instead of 1200HP in the other models.

According to my knowledge the Reverse gears are indeed 2, as can be seen here;

As for reverse speed, that I am unaware of, but I will try and find it for you, give me some time. Thank you.

Hello, First of all, yes, the part where the tank and it’s turret are turning in the video is definitely accelerated, you can see that by how the dirt moves. The part where it is driving is not accelerated.
However, VT-4 is still very mobile regardless, particularly in the case of Pakistan, due to upgraded 1500HP engine instead of 1200HP in the other models.

According to my knowledge the Reverse gears are indeed 2, as can be seen here;

As for reverse speed, that I am unaware of, but I will try and find it for you, give me some time. Thank you.
Thank you a lot, if you manage to clarify, you will help me very much!

Another interesting fact. FY-4 can decrease the penetration of BTA-4 by 250MM. That’s down to 350MM from 600MM. Now imagine what it will do the much older and weaker BM42 rounds used by the adversary tanks…460 minus >250…you do the math. And that may not even be the newer version of FY4 as this picture is apparently pretty old :D
595698D3-A076-4443-B36E-1C8606539FFA.jpeg

Thank you a lot, if you manage to clarify, you will help me very much!
I’m sorry, I checked around in numerous places but found little information about this sadly.
From the few sources I generally ask for such facts, they say that they would assume the reverse speed to be between 20-30 Km/h, given the multiple reverse gears and emphasis on mobility in later Chinese tanks (VT-4 and Type 99A).

Another interesting fact. FY-4 can decrease the penetration of BTA-4 by 250MM. That’s down to 350MM from 600MM. Now imagine what it will do the much older and weaker BM42 rounds used by the adversary tanks…460 minus >250…you do the math. And that may not even be the newer version of FY4 as this picture is apparently pretty old :D
View attachment 769000

I’m sorry, I checked around in numerous places but found little information about this sadly.
From the few sources I generally ask for such facts, they say that they would assume the reverse speed to be between 20-30 Km/h, given the multiple reverse gears and emphasis on mobility in later Chinese tanks (VT-4 and Type 99A).
Thank you! During my search I found some statements like 20-30kp/h.

The user from Sturgeonhouse and Weibo suggested to me that the technical description of the mechanical part of the CH1000, presented in this article is credible

http://club.xilu.com/junshi7766/msgview-975644-108930.html

The range itself jumped over some similar gear ratio, to make the gear selector compact.

So it's 5V2R.

Well, may be in the future we will get more information or even demonstration of 99A/VT4 reverse

Thank you! During my search I found some statements like 20-30kp/h.

The user from Sturgeonhouse and Weibo suggested to me that the technical description of the mechanical part of the CH1000, presented in this article is credible

http://club.xilu.com/junshi7766/msgview-975644-108930.html

The range itself jumped over some similar gear ratio, to make the gear selector compact.

So it's 5V2R.

Well, may be in the future we will get more information or even demonstration of 99A/VT4 reverse
If I hear something or get to drive a VT-4 I’ll be sure to tell you too.
@PanzerKiel do you have any idea of the VT4s reverse speed, or are you not allowed to tell us?

I know that AK is rather quick in reverse due to its 4 reverse gears, 35+ KPH.

Back
Top Bottom