What's new

Pakistan Army fires 11 serving officers including Generals for corruption.

How did we become so corrupt (we as in S. Asians in particular)? We started with so much promise - You with Jinnah and we with Gandhi - Nehru duo but somewhere along the line rot set in. Has to be cultural as all three (India, BD and Pakistan) have followed similar trajectories

Corruption is there all over the world but here it is without an iota of shame which accompanies it. In India no one even bats an eye when monstrous sums such as 1 Lakh crore, 2 Lakh crore etc are bandied about.
You have to go back into history. We are as a people corrupt because throughout our societies we have a lot of preference to creature comforts that are sometimes considered a given in the west. Let me be clear, there is also corruption in the west but its on a very deep and more sophisticated level due to the general effectiveness of agencies looking to combat it.
In our case, the idea of corruption was put into our society early on by the British. They preyed upon the existing culture of "gifts" and nepotism to get their way. We merely refined those approaches and considered them as normal practice.

But the biggest hurdle is lack of education , or rather lack of moral education. We consider corruption as bad but lack the motivation and ideals of fighting it due to a general lack of fighting for morality and justice in society. That is due to the fact that unlike the west who have moved on in large portions of society in their goals of needs and wants; we are still stuck mostly in food, shelter and water.
Maslows-Hierarchy-of-Needs.jpg

For the most part, we as a society on many levels have yet to leave the lower tiers of the pyramid.

You have to go back into history. We are as a people corrupt because throughout our societies we have a lot of preference to creature comforts that are sometimes considered a given in the west. Let me be clear, there is also corruption in the west but its on a very deep and more sophisticated level due to the general effectiveness of agencies looking to combat it.
In our case, the idea of corruption was put into our society early on by the British. They preyed upon the existing culture of "gifts" and nepotism to get their way. We merely refined those approaches and considered them as normal practice.

But the biggest hurdle is lack of education , or rather lack of moral education. We consider corruption as bad but lack the motivation and ideals of fighting it due to a general lack of fighting for morality and justice in society. That is due to the fact that unlike the west who have moved on in large portions of society in their goals of needs and wants; we are still stuck mostly in food, shelter and water.
Maslows-Hierarchy-of-Needs.jpg

For the most part, we as a society on many levels have yet to leave the lower tiers of the pyramid.

Now I've seen everything....using Maslow to explain away why we're corrupt ! :tsk:

Well it is purported to explain away people's motivations; so you're correct in that regard but its still such a load of crap !
I do agree , but as a society it might be more applicable:

Another criticism concerns Maslow's assumption that the lower needs must be satisfied before a person can achieve their potential and self-actualize. This is not always the case, and therefore Maslow's hierarchy of needs in some aspects has been falsified.
http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Moreover, for an individual in our societies; these issues may not be in the order. But I am taking about it as a society on the whole. As an entire society or collective of people, we tend to fall into that pyramid.

I do agree , but as a society it might be more applicable:

Another criticism concerns Maslow's assumption that the lower needs must be satisfied before a person can achieve their potential and self-actualize. This is not always the case, and therefore Maslow's hierarchy of needs in some aspects has been falsified.
http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

Moreover, for an individual in our societies; these issues may not be in the order. But I am taking about it as a society on the whole. As an entire society or collective of people, we tend to fall into that pyramid.

Busss kar deiii..busss kar deiii; I passed the HR module and I don't need to be reminded of those Motivational Theories again ! :argh:

I still catch myself thinking of Vroom's Expectancy Theory or Adam's Equity Theory before I'm like 'Armstrong you fool you passed HR...now chuck that out of your brain and concentrate on the birds....! :D

So hows Bhabi and the kids ? :azn:

One lft General
One Mjr General
Five Brigadiers
One colonel
Three lft colonel
One Major

Keep moving forward Raheel Sharif ........:tup:
That is badassery at its best!!! hope this man stages a coup and takes over pakistan then nukes India...

A clear message to Civilian to start accountability with fair and honesty.

Was it ever revealed just how much money was made illegally by them and/or family members? Was any of it recovered? If they made millions and got away with it without jail time, then it is only a slap on the wrist.

Well don't know that much detail, but i think jail time with severe punishments should be part of the deal.

But for an army officer, having spent 25-30 year service and then getting kicked out through court martial with your rank & major benefits taken away is itself a huge embarrassment. These guys will be remembered for the rest of their life for their deeds.

Anyway, still believe jail term should be a must.

but y these generals not arrested and put behind the bars, if they involved in corruption?

i think we never want to change the history that no Angel will ever put behind the bar!

In 90's, Benazair Bhutto said once, that in Pakistan angels also lived! and now its proved.

At times like these I honestly don't understand the media... This is not something new, as anyone from a mil background shall tell you... It's just that info is not released... I agree w/ @Icarus 100%, with regard to the sentiment that this info should not be publicly released... The public should not be made privy to such info., and the reason I believe this to be so is evident by the behaviour of certain gentlemen on this forum... The mil is a mere reflection of the society it belongs to... As such, the army still has the highest levels of accountability in all institutions w/in Pakistan.... The fact is that most civvies are simply unaware of such proceedings as they are never made public... This is a welcomed effort (which was being carried on earlier as well, mind you), but it should have been kept private....

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom