What's new

Pakistan Army commits treason in Presidents Office

No one is talking about the draconian clauses in the Army Act and Official Secrets Act. And how can these black draconian laws if enacted can lead to a subversion of basic human rights.

What are the Amendments in Army Act & Official Secrets Act? A Dangling Sword for Whom?

Last edited:
That is not what the Constitution says, nor is there any precedence. If that were true, why did the President return 13 other Bills after the dissolution of the NA ? He could just have done nothing and they would have been considered "unsigned". And if he was not required to return them, why did he tweet that he checked with his staff multiple times that they had been returned within the stipulated period ?

It is quite clear that the President knew that he was supposed to return the two Bills, if he did not want to give his assent, within the stipulated period just like he returned 13 other Bills that are now in limbo because there is no NA. I am not sure why you are denial about it.
You need relearn English then

But if he can't prove his point he might be facing sadiq and amin fiasco. So he has to go to the courts with full evidence as a judgment against him might label him as a liar. He may have to fight this battle whether he like it or not and win for PTIs sake.

Its him or his office he will have to give his statement and get cross questioned to be considered. As a president would he do it?

I have a hunch that all these cases and inquiries will go pending due to immunity of the president. These laws might get suspended by some court.
President has absolute immunity

Thanks for that interesting piece of history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gul_Hassan_Khan removal seems to have been an extraordinary event following the breakup of Pakistan. Has anyone else been removed under less extreme conditions?
Bhutto was afraid that Gul Hassan would overthrow him. It had nothing to do with the 71 events. Bhutto wanted Tikka Khan as his army chief.

So once again we are in the courts. But president is immune to all judicial proceedings.

How will he appear in the court to prove his position?

Jahangir Karamat was forced to either resign or get dismissed I think.
True. He had suggested the forming of the NSC and was forced to resign

And Musharraf was removed and Gen Zia ud din appointed by NS but Musharraf turned the tables on NS

Mr. Waqar Ahmed, Secretary to President sacked!

We all know he was pressurized by GHQ but nevertheless he is one of the main culprit.

Since there is no precedent, the practical answer is no. COAS is the modern version of a Sultan or Viceroy or Governor General. There is a mechanism for appointment but none for removal.
since the commission is issued in the presidents name, he can theoratically withdraw the commission of every 1 star and above. but practically will get a bullet hole between his eyes, cos its a mafia behind the uniform. and with mafia all is good, as long as the money is flowing up.

So finally some action has taken place but would it end at it?
True. He had suggested the forming of the NSC and was forced to resign

And Musharraf was removed and Gen Zia ud din appointed by NS but Musharraf turned the tables on NS
True. And its hilarious that even in screwing with army Nawaz Shareef only depended on a Butt (a kashmiri cast) general. As most of his kitchen cabinet is kashmiris.

Still no news of contacting the Supreme Court or taking this further legally it seems.

An Official Secrets Act court has been quickly enacted, a judge assigned to hear cases, which are already underway for SMQ.

Not sure why President Alvi is being so passive when he has so much public & legal support behind him to take this further.

Still no news of contacting the Supreme Court or taking this further legally it seems.

An Official Secrets Act court has been quickly enacted, a judge assigned to hear cases, which are already underway for SMQ.

Not sure why President Alvi is being so passive when he has so much public & legal support behind him to take this further.

I think he signed it and now washing his hands off it.
It's like a killer shoots someone, tosses the gun aside, raises his hands to the cops, and says he didn't do it.

I think he signed it and now washing his hands off it.
It's like a killer shoots someone, tosses the gun aside, raises his hands to the cops, and says he didn't do it.
Reflecting on it, the fact he ended his tweet to say I'm sorry for whatever effect the laws will have indicates that he's accepted it's done and dusted now.

So I agree with you that it feels like nothing further will happen.

The legal team did say yesterday that if the caretaker govt didn't withdraw the laws, legal action will be taken.

But the apex court has already stated today that we have our hands full so there doesn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel with this.

he should have tweeted that the Bills were published in the Gazette illegally and don't have any constitutional validity instead of apologising to those affected. What he is alleging is an unprecedented subversion of the Constitution. Why is he using such soft language if things actually transpired as he alleges?

That is what he has done.

One explanation that I find credible is that since Alvi didn't sign the Bills and the Gazette says that the President was deemed to have assented, he probably did not expect such a backlash from the PTI. The media mischievously played the fake news that he had signed the Bills. Alvi was hoping to save his chair and ride both horses but the pressure from PTI was too much and he was forced to tweet a soft statement. If he was serious, he should have named people responsible and taken some actions to punish those responsible and reverse the publication of the Bills as laws.

There is no deemed assent in this case, that's the thing.

Just like the past 15 months, the govt (or estab rather) has been reading the constitution how it wants, not how it is.

Back
Top Bottom