What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

The CTS800 engine is made by an Anglo-US consortium (Rolls Royce and Honeywell). So Honeywell should likely need to seek export clearance from the US government if this deal goes ahead. As I may have mentioned before in this thread.

If the Americans want to play it a bit dirty, they forbid Honeywell to export these engines and give Bell Helicopters Textron the green light for their AH-1Z. Just a scenario...

Also, the deal with TAI includes parts, armament, training and support for a number of years I suppose (or rather, I hope...). With such a small amount being build, you will also pay in part for the USD 3 billion + development cost that have to be spread out over approximately 100 helicopters projected to date.

K8 engine is US and classified as commercial as it’s used on military trainer and commercial executive jets and does not come u set ITAR if I understand correctly so no issue this engine also has same type of deal there is commercial and mil version

Air Platforms

Pakistan signs for T129 attack helos

Gareth Jennings, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly

25 May 2018

According to Turkey’s ruling party, Pakistan recently signed for 30 T129 attack helicopters. Source: TAI

Pakistan has formally signed for 30 TAI T129 attack helicopters from Turkey, it was disclosed on 24 May.

The confirmation of the anticipated sale to Pakistan was made in the political manifesto that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Parti) has released ahead of the general election scheduled for June. The manifesto states that “a very short while ago a contract for the sale of 30 attack helicopters was signed with Pakistan”. No further details were disclosed and Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) had not responded to a request for comment at the time of writing.

Pakistan is known to have evaluated the Turkish-built version of the AgustaWestland A129 Mangusta as part of an ongoing effort to procure a new attack helicopter for the country’s army. With the Pakistan Army having already ordered 12 US-built Bell AH-1Z Vipers, it had since 2014 been trialling the Chinese-built Z-10 and since 2016 the T129.

Speaking earlier in the year to Jane’s and other defence media, Pakistan Army Aviation commander Major General Nasir Shah said only that a number of platform options were being considered to augment its current Bell AH-1 Cobras, the four recently received Mil Mi-35s, and its soon to be delivered AH-1Z Viper platforms.

“Army Aviation has plans to further enhance its attack helicopter fleets, and various options are currently being considered and evaluated,” Gen Shah said on 31 January at the IQPC Military Helicopter conference in London. “The [current 32] AH-1 helicopters have provided effective close support for our ground forces engaged in counterinsurgency [COIN] operations, but they cannot be employed effectively in high-altitude operations above 8,000 ft,” he added.
p1634180_main.jpeg

I have a great interest in Z-20. Now that T129 and Z-10 has been sorted out. The need for Z-20 is greater than ever for operations.

T129 ATAK
(click to view full)

May 29/18: Pakistan orders T-129 Pakistan is set to receive thirty T-129 attack helicopters from Turkey. Pakistan is known to have evaluated the Turkish-built attack helicopter as part of an ongoing effort to procure a new attack helicopter for the country’s army. The T-129 is based on the AugustaWestland (now Leonardo) produced A-129 Mangusta. Turkish Aerospace Industries is the T-129’s prime contractor. The aircraft is notable for its low frontal profile, and offers a good mix of surveillance, gun and missile capabilities. The T-129A EDH carries the nose-mounted 20mm cannon turret with 500 rounds, and 4 pylons for unguided rockets. The T-129B version will add Roketsan’s MIZRAK missiles and CIRIT 70 mm Laser Guided Rockets, and Raytheon’s FIM-92 Stinger air-to-air missiles. Pakistan currently has US-built Bell AH-1Z Vipers, Bell AH-1 Cobras and four Mi-35s in its inventory. The T129 competed against the Chinese-built Z-10.

IMG_20180526_184114.jpeg

Latest pic of T129 in Pakistan. Few weeks old pic. View attachment 477607
Yeah good choice but looking at Turkish new political moves, this chopper is highly prone to sanctions since engines and many subsystem are imported.
Fingers crossed......

Z-10 is still a good choice...100% sanctions free plus much cheaper but I believe Turkish got this deal by awarding all choppers based on soft loans and some TOT.

Sir, Z10 deal is dead. Engine probs, plus canon prone to jamming and 2-3 times missile misfired. After extensive tests and no solution came, T129s got selected.
Ok, nice to know

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom