PAKISTAN APPROVES CONTROVERSIAL CYBER CRIME BILL

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BY LUCY CLARKE-BILLINGS ON 4/14/16 AT 10:22 AM
pakistan.jpg

The Minister of State for Information Technology and Telecommunication, Anusha Rahman Khan, as she appears on the National Assembly of Pakistan website. She submitted the controversial Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill 2015.NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF PAKISTAN

The controversial Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill 2015 has been approved by Pakistan's National Assembly (NA).

The restrictive bill—which has been criticised by the information technology (IT) industry as well as civil society for curbing human rights—was submitted to the NA for voting in January 2015 by the Minister of State for Information Technology and Telecommunication, Anusha Rahman Khan.

A draft of the cybercrime bill was then cleared by the standing committee in September before being forwarded to the assembly for final approval.

According to critics, the proposed bill criminalises activities such as sending text messages without the receiver's consent or criticising government actions on social media. Those who do would be punished with fines and long-term imprisonment. Industry representatives have argued that the bill would harm business as well.

Online criticism of religion, the country, its courts, and the armed forces are among subjects which could invoke official intervention under the bill.

The bill approved on Wednesday, must also be approved by Senate before it can be signed into law, as reported by Dawn online.

Features of the Bill include -

• Up to five-year imprisonment, Rs (Pakistani Rupees) 10 million ($95,000) fine or both for hate speech, or trying to create disputes and spread hatred on the basis of religion or sectarianism.

• Up to five-year imprisonment, Rs5m ($47,700) fine or both for transferring or copying sensitive basic information.

• Up to Rs50,000 ($477) fine for sending messages irritating to others or for marketing purposes.

• Up to three-year imprisonment and a fine of up to Rs500,000 ($4,777) for creating a website for negative purposes.

• Up to one-year imprisonment or a fine of up to Rs1m ($9,500) for forcing an individual into immoral activity, or publishing an individual’s picture without consent, sending obscene messages or unnecessary cyber interference.

Up to seven-year imprisonment, a fine of Rs10m or both for interfering in sensitive data information systems.

http://europe.newsweek.com/pakistan-approves-controversial-cyber-crime-bill-447671?rm=eu

Who wrote this bill had no idea what cyber crime means and seems to have missed some serious issues...Couldnt they do as they always do? Pick up a bill from another country and copy paste? And irrelevant BS has seeped in ....criticism of courts is not allowed then how the hell would people know if some BS is BS when they cant call it for starters?

BTW, How did that BS get passed with less than 10% attendance?

Only 30 out of 342 NA Members Were Present for Vote on Cyber Crime Bill

In a stunning revelation, ProPakistani has learned that only 30 out of 342 National Assembly members were present for the vote on the critical Cyber Crime Bill.

The Bill, which has far reaching effects for virtually all internet users in Pakistan and has been the target of intense debate and criticism, apparently isn’t important enough for most of our parliamentarians. Nor the speaker, who wasn’t present either.

In a democracy, these people are the ones who represent the interests of the people. We, along with other publications, digital rights activists and human rights organizations, have made our objections crystal clear.

Despite that, almost none of the 205 objections raised via feedback were addressed in the Bill. The members of the Senate Standing Committee didn’t even get to read the final draft of the Bill before it passed through to the National Assembly. And when the crucial time came for our government representatives to do their job, they didn’t even bother to show up.

For the Bill to pass, a simple majority of 16 NA members (of the 30 present) was required

This is beyond shameful and we need to wake up as a nation and hold these people accountable. The Cyber Crime Bill is draconian and has the potential to stifle free speech, oppress dissenting opinion and make a police state out of our internet.

In fact, I doubt we’d be able to publish such a critical post when it becomes law, something we’ve learned that might very well happen despite the media previously intimating that passing it through the Senate might be a hurdle.

The fact is that this piece of legislation is going to become law and inept politicians are too lazy to even show up and vote on it. It’s dereliction of duty and borders on criminal negligence. It wasn’t enough for out politicians to be corrupt only, now they’ve shown they are lazy and corrupt.

http://propakistani.pk/2016/04/14/o...rs-were-present-for-vote-on-cyber-crime-bill/

how is less than 10% considered democracy? NA is a scam...NS isnt good example enough when he being leader misses NA meetings how can one expect anyone else to be present?!

This also kind of shows how many are either interested or know what the bill is about! Were it about cutting the pay of any ASSHOLE who doesnt do his work meaning politicians dragging their sorry *** to do their work and attend meetings like they are supposed to ....I am sure more would have showed up!

There werent even enough to vote against it!

Excellent news! Rejoice! Now there will no cybercrimes in Pakistan.

(Not true, actually. :D )

PAKISTAN APPROVES CONTROVERSIAL CYBER CRIME BILL
BY LUCY CLARKE-BILLINGS ON 4/14/16 AT 5:22 AM
Pakistan
The Minister of State for Information Technology and Telecommunication, Anusha Rahman Khan, as she appears on the National Assembly of Pakistan website. She submitted the controversial Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill 2015.
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF PAKISTAN
WORLDCYBER CRIMEPAKISTANHUMAN RIGHTSINTERNET AND TECHNOLOGY
The controversial Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill 2015 has been approved by Pakistan's National Assembly (NA).

The restrictive bill—which has been criticised by the information technology (IT) industry as well as civil society for curbing human rights—was submitted to the NA for voting in January 2015 by the Minister of State for Information Technology and Telecommunication, Anusha Rahman Khan.

A draft of the cybercrime bill was then cleared by the standing committee in September before being forwarded to the assembly for final approval.

Try Newsweek for only $1.25 per week

According to critics, the proposed bill criminalises activities such as sending text messages without the receiver's consent or criticising government actions on social media. Those who do would be punished with fines and long-term imprisonment. Industry representatives have argued that the bill would harm business as well.

Online criticism of religion, the country, its courts, and the armed forces are among subjects which could invoke official intervention under the bill.

The bill approved on Wednesday, must also be approved by Senate before it can be signed into law, as reported by Dawn online.

Features of the Bill include -

• Up to five-year imprisonment, Rs (Pakistani Rupees) 10 million ($95,000) fine or both for hate speech, or trying to create disputes and spread hatred on the basis of religion or sectarianism.

• Up to five-year imprisonment, Rs5m ($47,700) fine or both for transferring or copying sensitive basic information.

• Up to Rs50,000 ($477) fine for sending messages irritating to others or for marketing purposes.

• Up to three-year imprisonment and a fine of up to Rs500,000 ($4,777) for creating a website for negative purposes.

• Up to one-year imprisonment or a fine of up to Rs1m ($9,500) for forcing an individual into immoral activity, or publishing an individual’s picture without consent, sending obscene messages or unnecessary cyber interference.

• Up to seven-year imprisonment, a fine of Rs10m or both for interfering in sensitive data information systems.
http://www.newsweek.com/pakistan-approves-controversial-cyber-crime-bill-447671
@django @waz @WAJsal @Mr.Meap @Akheilos @Jonah Arthur

I am just glad the model thread page on the forum has evaded any Cyber crime , rationale

or wait is that .... publishing a person's image with out consent :o:

This is certainly a fine $$$ (Under trying to create dispute)
FunnyCrazyWeirdPicPhotoPictureEntertainmentBilawalBhuttoSuperManCrySadTafreehMastiHappy_aqsvs_Pak101%28dot%29com.jpg

I might not be able to send this image by Cell phone now , it might offend someone (Me for starter )
661818-Bilawal-1390339065-408-640x480.JPG

This bill is not gona fly with ladies (Obscene message)
the-1st-lady-of-Pakistan-begam-nawaz-sharif-khaatoon-e-awwal.jpg

Political disturbance (fine, suggestive images)
AFRIDI_AND_DHONI_couuu.jpg

I am already not starting to like this billl

shahid_afridi_umar_gul_saeed_ajmal_pepsi_pakistan_cricket_funny.jpg

Last edited:
What's the link for complaints? I gladly to reports all who spread religious hates:coffee:

lol and u remembered this now? an yer old bill.:rofl:
And more then the bill that lucy or luka whatever that thingy's name is trying to make it more controversial then it looks to Pakistanis themselves.:omghaha:
It got approved now and you think its a joke this could turn into a political witch hunt by gov in the name of larger national interest your comment on fb,twitter can be used against you in court even if you criticize a court decision

I am just glad the model thread page on the forum has evaded any Cyber crime , rationale

or wait is that .... publishing a person's image with out consent :o:

This is certainly a fine $$$ (Under trying to create dispute)
FunnyCrazyWeirdPicPhotoPictureEntertainmentBilawalBhuttoSuperManCrySadTafreehMastiHappy_aqsvs_Pak101%28dot%29com.jpg

I might not be able to send this image by Cell phone now , it might offend someone (Me for starter )
661818-Bilawal-1390339065-408-640x480.JPG

This bill is not gona fly with ladies (Obscene message)
the-1st-lady-of-Pakistan-begam-nawaz-sharif-khaatoon-e-awwal.jpg

Political disturbance (fine, suggestive images)
AFRIDI_AND_DHONI_couuu.jpg

I am already not starting to like this billl

shahid_afridi_umar_gul_saeed_ajmal_pepsi_pakistan_cricket_funny.jpg
I post from pemra approved sources most of the time and i dont think sharing magazine pics is illegal :D

What you are posting could be used against you in court this implementation of draconian Zia era laws in 21st century Pakistan you could get jailed for criticizing judiciary

What's the link for complaints? I gladly to reports all who spread religious hates:coffee:
Also its now illegal to speak against our rotten judicial system

Last edited:
It got approved now and you think its a joke this could turn into a political witch hunt by gov in the name of larger national interest your comment on fb,twitter can be used against you in court even if you criticize a court decision

I post from pemra approved sources most of the time and i dont think sharing magazine pics is illegal :D

What you are posting could be used against you in court this implementation of draconian Zia era laws in 21st century Pakistan you could get jailed for criticizing judiciary

Also its now illegal to speak against our rotten judicial system
koi gal nai i can live with that. Judge he khareed lun ga.:lol:

The jewel of N leagues tenure. The cyber crime bill which has less cyber crime more don't you dare criticize anything we do. If we do corruption, you don't criticize it. If judiciary let's people off, you don't do jack.

Next they will pass a bill stating that channels can't criticize anything either.

What a brilliant way to hide incompetence, corruption and incapability.

I really really hope the Senate doesn't approve of it.

Back
Top Bottom