What's new

Pakistan And India-Water Disputes-News And Updates

Stopping the water supply, how? The Indus originates in China. Oh by the way, it's Chinese Tibet which also feeds many Indian rivers. The reason I'm mentioning all this is because if India plays water wars, then the gloves will really come off.
Kudos to the Indian posters who said the idea was stupid, it is. Water wars, good luck with that, maybe the posters in favour can find new sources when the proverbial mess hits the fan in terms of retaliation.

The Ravi and Jhelum in Kashmir can be dammed and used for the benefit of Kashmir Valley's inhabitants

12 pages of stupidity from the hindutva brigade

The water is for the indus its as simple as that

You dont have the balls to attack Pakistan, but Pakistan will respond with full right of international law behind us if the tributaries of a major world river system are interfered with

none of your friends Turkey or China honor international laws regarding river water sharing

The Ravi and Jhelum in Kashmir can be dammed and used for the benefit of Kashmir Valley's inhabitants

And? The Brahmaputra, Ghaghra and Gandak, can benefit China. They can also shut off the Indus to you, and due to their higher elevations, it shouldn't be a major problem getting it to Pakistan through its Northern Areas. Go ahead play water wars chief....

Stopping the water supply, how? The Indus originates in China. Oh by the way, it's Chinese Tibet which also feeds many Indian rivers. The reason I'm mentioning all this is because if India plays water wars, then the gloves will really come off.
Kudos to the Indian posters who said the idea was stupid, it is. Water wars, good luck with that, maybe the posters in favour can find new sources when the proverbial mess hits the fan in terms of retaliation.

Rainfall over Tibet is meager, Himalayan rivers gains water from south of Himalaya. For e.g. Brahmaputra gains 80% of water from Indian area. More than India, it is Bangladesh that would be affected.

What we gain from INDUS WATER TREATY?19.48% water of rivers for India and 80.52% of water for Pakistan!!! I don't know what Nehru was smoking when he signed that treaty.

And? The Brahmaputra, Ghaghra and Gandak, can benefit China. They can also shut off the Indus to you, and due to their higher elevations, it shouldn't be a major problem getting it to Pakistan through its Northern Areas. Go ahead play water wars chief....

Hardily anyone lives in the Indus river valley in India.

The Brahmaputra gets water from Tibet.
Ghaghra & Gandak ??

Rainfall over Tibet is meager, Himalayan rivers gains water from south of Himalaya. For e.g. Brahmaputra gains 80% of water from Indian area. More than India, it is Bangladesh that would be affected.

What we gain from INDUS WATER TREATY?19.48% water of rivers for India and 80.52% of water for Pakistan!!! I don't know what Nehru was smoking when he signed that treaty.
as the population of Kashmir valley increases India will use the Jhelum and Chenab waters a lot more. the water to pakistan will fall dramatically

Who elects the leaders of Pakistani state? Whose support gave military enough support that it thought it can do coups after coups? Its the people of the state.

Likewise its same for India. We give them power to formulate our policies. They release their manifesto telling they will do this and that. Its our people who elect them. After election, they have some inside information which we do not, and expect the govt to take good foreign policy decision on our behalf. If SP, BSP and RJD is ruining UP and Bihar, its the people who are to blame for electing such politicians. And they suffer.

The people elect their leaders based on many factors, economic promise being the most important one,not just the foreign policy of the nation or their response to a terrorist attack only!

See my point is that India unlike Pakistan has a fair number of diplomatic and economic cards it can play before we mess with our trump card aka water.
If we as a nation are going to use our trumps without exhausting our other options, then I believe it will be a short sighted policy not based in real politik.
In fact I'm of the belief that water is a contentious issue and will actually turn public opinion (international) against us. We need to tread carefully.

Again, that's my opinion, you don't have to subscribe to it. I respect your views and opinions on the matter as killing 18 of our soldiers isn't something to take lightly, so I understand where you're coming from.

True, which is why tearing up the treaty will only be a good start.

The real fun starts AFTER we tear up the treaty and make kashmir addicted to that water and make them realise the power they hold over you. And do you know what power does ? Power corrupts. :angel:

Don't you think its time India "Empowered" Kashmirs ? :D

There is NO International law that says there has to be a water treaty between Nations :lol:

In fact we then use this to remind china to sign a water treaty with Bangladesh.

Making the Kashmiris addicted to water? What the hell are you talking about

What you are suggesting is water wars sunny (note: some of your own rivers originate from outside india)

Diverting or messing with the tributaries of a major river system is a act of war all all of which is well within the range of Pakistan offensive capabilities and missile targets

And unlike you we will respond we don't have to have a water treaty to understand the stupidity of trying to damage river systems which have run for thousands of years

But all this is b.s simply because you indian's dont have the balls to screw around with the river system

It's meagre is it? 5,000 millimetres isn't a small amount, it is uneven in places. India will massively effected and I'm, not just talking about the Brahmaputra either.
You gain trust from the treaty and India had its own rivers allocated to it.

as the population of Kashmir valley increases India will use the Jhelum and Chenab waters a lot more. the water to pakistan will fall dramatically

Chenab flow from Jammu area so we can transfer that water into Ravi and finally connect it to Satluj Yamuna link Canal.

Two benefits 1 . Irrigate parched Haryana

2. New Canal would form a strategic front defending crucial Akhnoor sector. Just like Indira Canal does for Rajasthan.

http://www.futuredirections.org.au/...he-brahmaputra-china-and-india-water-sharing/
15 March 2016 Madeleine Lovelle, Research Analyst, Global Food and Water Crises Research Programme Download PDF

Key Points

• China and India are water-scarce countries that will face significant challenges to food and water security in the future.
  • As lower riparians, India and Bangladesh rely on the Brahmaputra River for water, agriculture and livelihoods. Upstream, China holds an important strategic advantage over the river’s flow.
  • Chinese dam-building and water division plans along the Yarlung Zangbo (the Brahmaputra in India) is a source of tension between the two neighbours.
  • The potential for conflict over water between China and India is increased as long as the two countries do not improve communication and co-operation.
Summary

China and India are competing for resources along the Brahmaputra River, which flows through parts of Asia that have been prone to territorial disputes. South Asia is water scarce. Mass dam-building and diversion plans are a source of major tension between India and China. The potential for conflict is low between the two Asian giants; however, a combination of regional competition and water-sharing tension could still threaten regional stability. It is imperative that China, which lies upstream, does not create a situation where India believes its future water security is significantly threatened as a result of damming and other hydro-projects along the Brahmaputra.

We do release water along with the treaty rules unfortunately in 70 odd yrs Pakistan has failed to build dams to catch these waters.

Pakistan has made dams including the world's largest earth filled dam (Tarbela) and is in the process of making more !!!

It's meagre is it? 5,000 millimetres isn't a small amount, it is uneven in places. India will massively effected and I'm, not just talking about the Brahmaputra either.

5,000 millimeters!!!! Dude even in Amazon rainforest area , it does not rain that much. Tibet is a cold arid area.

Trust ....really!! In 1960 treaty was signed and in 1965 we were receiving op Gibraltar and op Grand slam. And since then what not ...

Dude ,I wish you get a PM like Nehru. He wounded India by taking Kashmir into UN then rub salt on it by INDUS water treaty.

The point about the Indus is you can't do squat. Your question marks show me you need to read up more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghaghara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandaki_River

Oh look, Tibet again. Don't talk just do it, I really want to see how far you get.

nothing can be done about Indus waters. we can generate electricity which we are doing.

The Brahmaputra, Ganga get most of water from catchment areas within India.
Most of tibet is a desert for good reason

india does not get much water from tibet. can china build dams ?? yes. can they use the dammed water ? no
india is in same position on Indus river. 300,000 people live in Ladakh and Kargil in Indus river walley. with the winters they have there is not much use for the water

http://www.futuredirections.org.au/...he-brahmaputra-china-and-india-water-sharing/
15 March 2016 Madeleine Lovelle, Research Analyst, Global Food and Water Crises Research Programme Download PDF

Key Points

• China and India are water-scarce countries that will face significant challenges to food and water security in the future.
  • As lower riparians, India and Bangladesh rely on the Brahmaputra River for water, agriculture and livelihoods. Upstream, China holds an important strategic advantage over the river’s flow.
  • Chinese dam-building and water division plans along the Yarlung Zangbo (the Brahmaputra in India) is a source of tension between the two neighbours.
  • The potential for conflict over water between China and India is increased as long as the two countries do not improve communication and co-operation.
Summary

China and India are competing for resources along the Brahmaputra River, which flows through parts of Asia that have been prone to territorial disputes. South Asia is water scarce. Mass dam-building and diversion plans are a source of major tension between India and China. The potential for conflict is low between the two Asian giants; however, a combination of regional competition and water-sharing tension could still threaten regional stability. It is imperative that China, which lies upstream, does not create a situation where India believes its future water security is significantly threatened as a result of damming and other hydro-projects along the Brahmaputra.

what percent of the brahmaputra water comes from tibet ??

Back
Top Bottom