What's new

Pakistan and China sign MoU on 7,000 megawatt Bunji dam

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

* Dam will be constructed in Astore district of the Northern Areas
* Zardari seeks Chinese help to overcome power crisis

HANGZHOU: Pakistan and China on Saturday signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for the construction of Bunji dam in Astore district of the Northern Areas of Pakistan.

The agreement was signed between Pakistan’s Ministry of Water and Power and China’s Three Gorges Project Corporation.

Chairman Board of Investment Saleem Mandviwala and Li Yang’an signed the MoU for their respective sides. President Asif Ali Zardari, Pakistan’s Ambassador in China Masood Khan and several senior Chinese officials were present.

Masood said the dam, one of the eight hydel projects short-listed for construction by the Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA), will have a capacity of generating 7,000 megawatts of electricity.

Prior to the signing ceremony, Li Yang’an met President Zardari to discuss Pak-China cooperation in the hydel power generation sector.

Help: President Asif Ali Zardari called on China to help Pakistan tackle the energy crisis and sought Chinese assistance in hydel, thermal and solar power generation projects. The president also invited Chinese companies to carry out feasibility studies in the country in this regard.

Zardari recalled his last visit to China in February when he visited the Three Gorges Dam project and said that Pakistan had lots of potential for construction of hydel power projects on its rivers, for which it needed Chinese assistance and expertise.

He hoped that with the Chinese cooperation, Pakistan would soon be able to overcome its energy crisis.

Zardari also attended a presentation on small and medium sized dams, water conservation and irrigation by Zhejiang Design Institute of Water Conservancy and Hydroelectric Power.

“We need solar power for individual housing units and I want the Chinese to carry out a study in Pakistan,” the president remarked after the presentation.

Zardari said the government was ready to provide Chinese companies all possible assistance to set up power units that were not only cheap but also feasible for housing as well as commercial units.

Li Yueming, the president of the institute, said they had carried out studies of couple of medium-sized dams in Azad Jammu and Kashmir and constructed over 100 such dams around the world, especially in Africa, South America and Turkey.

In a meeting with President Zardari, President Zhejiang Zhengtai Solar Energy Science and Technology Company, Yang Liyou, said his company was ready to construct solar power generation projects in Pakistan, as country received plenty of sunlight around the year.

President Zardari said China would be the world’s next super power in trade and investment and hoped that Pakistan would become a gateway for Chinese exports to world markets through its ports.

:pakistan::china:

I don't believe it. We have potential to built 7000 MW Dam.

The site I saw saying 'Construction Site for Bunji Dam' which was somewhere between Gilgit and Sakardu was a small place from where Indus River is flowing. I didn't see any valley.

I don't believe it. We have potential to built 7000 MW Dam.

The site I saw saying 'Construction Site for Bunji Dam' which was somewhere between Gilgit and Sakardu was a small place from where Indus River is flowing. I didn't see any valley.

According to reports, the 7,000 MW Dam will be constructed in Astore district in the Northern Areas of Pakistan. I've never been to that district but according to the map, it is not a small district.

ee41145cd0b12ad540734ef8f0847561.png

Astore is one of the six districts of the Northern Areas of Pakistan. The district contains the Astore Valley and is bounded to the west by Diamer District (from which is was separated in 2004), to the north by Gilgit District, to the east by Skardu District and to the south by North-West Frontier Province, Neelum District of Azad Kashmir.
Astore District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Astore vally is located at 35° 2'20.30"N , 75° 6'36.91"E and has an area of 5,092 km² and an altitude of 2600m.

Astore Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
wow it is very good news....i think this dam will fulfil our needs..but what about the completion time.

According to reports, the 7,000 MW Dam will be constructed in Astore district in the Northern Areas of Pakistan. I've never been to that district but according to the map, it is not a small district.

I am not saying that the Astore District is small but the location where the river is flowing is pretty narrow. The river there flows pretty fast.

Perhaps, the location I saw was just a part of it and the other part wan't visible from the road.

Any ways lets hope for the best.

ISLAMABAD, Aug 27 (APP): Pakistan’s Ambassador to China Masood Khan had termed President Asif Ali Zardari’s visit to China as successful.Talking to VoA, he said both the countries want progress in region and opposed any attempt to de-stabilize the region.Pakistan and China have agreed that both the countries will jointly confront the extremism, terrorism and separatism, he said adding both the nations have inked an agreement in 2005 to curb terrorism.

Masood Khan said Pakistan’s new leadership reaffirmed time and again that Islamabad considers the security of China as its own security. “Pakistan will never support and encourage any extremist, terrorist and separatist element, rather those who will give refuge to such elements, Pakistan will take action against them.”
He said recent events of Xinjiang, Pakistan was one of some countries who clearly supported China’s stance and its initiatives.

“Pakistan wants to improve road links with China and both the countries want development in the region and oppose those forces who would try to de-stabilize the region.”

To a question he said China made a huge investment in Pakistan. Over 120 Chinese enterprises are investing in Pakistan in every sector like development, hydropower generation, telecommunication, coal power generation and construction sector.

The offices of major Chinese corporations are in Pakistan and about 10000 Chinese workers are engaged in Pakistan in different fields so there is a stable flow of Chinese investment towards Pakistan.

He said Pakistan wants to get benefit of China’s experience in the field of fisheries and sugarcane.

Masood said the top corporation of China Three-Heorge Crop, which constructed the biggest dam of the world, signed an MoU on the Bunji Power project which will generate over 7000 MW power after completion.

To a question he said Pakistan and China are cooperating in nuclear field for peaceful purpose. However, President Asif Ali Zardari was given a presentation on alternate energy ‘ Solar energy” by a top Chinese corporation, he added.

If every thing goes smoothly it will open new era for development of Pakistan. The govt should act on emergency basis to tackle electricity crisis as the whole economic development process depends on availability of electricity.

the core technologies which was once exclusive to those western companies have been completely mastered and improved by our native companies. we have these big gears installed on the left side of our three geogre dam, and its performance is better than the ones on the right side (from the west).

glad to see we can share such cutting edge products.

we have a dozen in daily operation, so far so good. see the size of that worker in red cloth, huge stuff. this is just the left side of the dam.

:pakistan::china: For the friendship with our ONLY ally Pakistan.

I'll believe it when it happens. There will be a lot of money being pocketed... Thats it.

If the project is completed, and the new NFC award allocates a significant amount of royalties from Hydel power generation to the provinces, this along with Basha could really transform the NA's from a development standpoint.

Atleast the guy has kept his teeth inside this time around:D. Joke aside if the deal really materializes, it will be a great boost to a energy strived country.

Atleast the guy has kept his teeth inside this time around:D. Joke aside if the deal really materializes, it will be a great boost to a energy strived country.

i have a stupid hope tht hez not thinking about his kick backs in this project :confused:

Back
Top Bottom