What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

Just one more case of why the Embraer C-390 is probably a good option for the PAF in the future.

View attachment 881786

Embraer and L3 are teaming up to configure a refueling boom to the C-390. So, basically, you'd get a complete solution (boom and hose/drogue) all in one platform that can also double as a tactical transport.

Granted, I'm not sure if boom-configured planes can work as transports, but you do simplify your logistics and maintenance chain by maintaining one type for both airlift and refueling. Couple that with the fact that the C-390 uses airliner engines for added efficiency, cost control and maintainability.

For the PAF, the C-130B/E/Hs aren't going anywhere, but at this point, I think they can start looking at the C-390 in the tanker role. Look at an initial batch of 6-8 aircraft equipped with both the boom and the hose/drogue pods. @GriffinsRule @Yasser76 @arslank03

I think PAF has bought itself a decade before it will even look at options to supplement with Hercs, after the recent used ones we bought.
I think they should also wait and see if Saudis go for it in large numbers as well and might get some local maintenance setup PAF could use down the line.
The crux really will be how much capital expenditure can they really afford for non-essential items with the focus being to induct new fighter jets atm.

Just one more case of why the Embraer C-390 is probably a good option for the PAF in the future.

View attachment 881786

Embraer and L3 are teaming up to configure a refueling boom to the C-390. So, basically, you'd get a complete solution (boom and hose/drogue) all in one platform that can also double as a tactical transport.

Granted, I'm not sure if boom-configured planes can work as transports, but you do simplify your logistics and maintenance chain by maintaining one type for both airlift and refueling. Couple that with the fact that the C-390 uses airliner engines for added efficiency, cost control and maintainability.

For the PAF, the C-130B/E/Hs aren't going anywhere, but at this point, I think they can start looking at the C-390 in the tanker role. Look at an initial batch of 6-8 aircraft equipped with both the boom and the hose/drogue pods. @GriffinsRule @Yasser76 @arslank03

Definately interesting and a good ITAR free option, and certainly if we are going with Brazilian MPA jets then why not transports, but a few opinions here

1) Is it worth investing on boom refueling tech as when these are delivered (assume what 3 yeas if we order tomorrow?), how many years will we have in an F-16 fleet which numbers just 75 planes and already has decent range?

2) As we know many C-130 trips are to spartan areas, unsure how good C-390 is here

3) Boom tech is done by L3, US company so we can be denied this

4) Certainly room for rationalisation of PAF fleet here, apart from C-130 we are operation very small fleet of different types, one look the apron at Chaklala and it looks like an international airport (4 C-235s, 4 IL76, 4 Y-12s etc, 4 Transport SAAB 2000), all this on top of a varied VIP fleet of 4-5 different types (Gulfstream, Phenom, A319 etc). Bit of a mess.....

The c390 seems very good. Even one or two are going to be good enough. F16s cant refuel on current il78s afaik. Would be very beneficial.

The c390 seems very good. Even one or two are going to be good enough. F16s cant refuel on current il78s afaik. Would be very beneficial.

One or two does not give you a capability. We would need 4 minimum.

Airbus A319-112 [Reg: A-1102] spotted in PAF colors..

1665087629816.png

1665087582959.png

UK Ministry of Defense has added the RAF C-130J fleet of 14 military transport planes to its list of military equipment that will be made available for sale through the Defence Equipment Sales Authority (DESA) from 2023

More option for Pakistan Bangladesh to replacing old C-130 .😀

Back
Top Bottom