What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

88310_1327853483.jpg

I'm curious as to the PAF's transport capabilities, which are seldom mentioned relative to flashier fighter systems. On Wiki, it seems that the PAF transport fleet is somewhat limited, based most around the C-130. Is Pakistan planning on enlarging this fleet in the future? I think the PAF should definitely look into purchasing a couple Y-20s from China ... they would be huge upgrades to the transport capacity.

I'm curious as to the PAF's transport capabilities, which are seldom mentioned relative to flashier fighter systems. On Wiki, it seems that the PAF transport fleet is somewhat limited, based most around the C-130. Is Pakistan planning on enlarging this fleet in the future? I think the PAF should definitely look into purchasing a couple Y-20s from China ... they would be huge upgrades to the transport capacity.

They are interested in used Belgian C.130's but for the time being Uncle Sam isn't keen enough on letting the sale pass through.

They've tried expanding the C-130 fleet via 2nd hand aircraft, but the US kept on blocking our efforts (as noted by @Clairvoyant ). There may have been a chance back in 2016 to use Obama's FMF release for new C-130Js instead of the 8 F-16s -- Congress might have been OK with that transfer on the basis of HADR. But even HADR doesn't fly, e.g., Pakistan tried picking up a bunch of EDA CH-47s and UH-60s on that basis, and got told to get lost.

IMO ... the Hercs will stay until the day the PAF can afford/access new Hercs (be it C-130J or LM-100J). That said, the IL-78s aren't efficient, yet they fill a key role as a tanker and heavy transport. But the Y-20 could be a suitable successor provided it offers improved efficiency over the IL-78 -- and if China offers it.

They've tried expanding the C-130 fleet via 2nd hand aircraft, but the US kept on blocking our efforts (as noted by @Clairvoyant ). There may have been a chance back in 2016 to use Obama's FMF release for new C-130Js instead of the 8 F-16s -- Congress might have been OK with that transfer on the basis of HADR. But even HADR doesn't fly, e.g., Pakistan tried picking up a bunch of EDA CH-47s and UH-60s on that basis, and got told to get lost.

IMO ... the Hercs will stay until the day the PAF can afford/access new Hercs (be it C-130J or LM-100J). That said, the IL-78s aren't efficient, yet they fill a key role as a tanker and heavy transport. But the Y-20 could be a suitable successor provided it offers improved efficiency over the IL-78 -- and if China offers it.
What happened to C-130Js people claimed we are getting.

Chinese are in town I think you talking about ATAK 2?
I'm not referring to Z-10ME (that's a 6-7-ton helicopter). If the PAA wants a 9-10-ton type, it'll either be ATAK-2 or whatever the Chinese develop using the Z-20's technology. I'm sure the Chinese will have their own Apache-like attack helicopter.

That may be a long term ambition, right now the conundrum is " wait for the Zulus and T129s or order the Z10ME
I'm not referring to Z-10ME (that's a 6-7-ton helicopter). If the PAA wants a 9-10-ton type, it'll either be ATAK-2 or whatever the Chinese develop using the Z-20's technology. I'm sure the Chinese will have their own Apache-like attack helicopter.
IMG_20200909_075507.jpeg

I saw yesterday that the Chinese Apache-style heavy attack helicopter is coming out very soon on the Chinese section. It will be very interesting to see how it looks like. A heavy attack helicopter is long overdue for them, especially since the technology has been there the entire time.

Back
Top Bottom