What's new

Pakistan Air Force "Red Flag" 2016 Exclusive

not new purchase but conversion from PIA fleet, i think its a better option
Sir, PIA operates A310 but airbus no longer converts them into MRTT. The option through Airbus is A330 MRTT. PIA is operating A330 on wet lease hence does not have localized maintenance. The only option that remains is to procure KC130. They were however denied.

We might need a refuler for our F-16s but Block 52s are having CFTs and over all F-16 has quite long endurance so we are still doing quite good without a refuler for F-16s. Nonetheless our main AAR incorporates Drogue and Probe so inducting a refuler only for F-16 wud be quite expensive.
No it won't. Acquiring surplus kc-135 would be relatively cheap and the refuelers can be used for both JF-17 and F-16s.

I get it why PAF is obsessed with F-16s. The fighter looks badass, especially with the conformal fuel tanks flying in formations.

The Israeli AF have WSOs on their F-16Is. PAF and UAEAF don't have WSOs for their F-16s.
A Weapons Systems Officer (WSO) is a task/mission specific position.

When I was on the F-111, all WSOs are pilots and all F-111 pilots can be WSOs when needed. On the other hand, the F-14's WSO position is a non-pilot or non-aviator position. The F-14's WSO is called a 'naval flight officer'. On the F-111, if the pilot -- left seater -- is unable to fly the jet, the WSO -- right seater -- can take over as there is a control stick on the right side of the capsule. But on the F-14, if the pilot -- front seater -- is unable to fly, it is ejection time for both front and rear seats.

Both the F-111 and F-14 have unique cockpit controls for specific positions. For the pilots on the F-111 and F-14, instruments and controls are primarily for flight related issues. For the WSOs, instruments and controls are primarily for mission related issues.

The F-16I was designed with the same philosophy. While each cockpit can fly the jet, each cockpit have its own unique instruments and controls designed to separate tasks. The front cockpit is for flying, the rear cockpit is for whatever the mission is supposed to be.

Same for the F-15E Strike Eagle.

The reason the WSO is needed, whether the position requires a rated/certified aviator or not, is when the aircraft's missions (plural) increases to the point where division of responsibilities becomes necessary.

Task saturation...

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/safety/20130617-task-saturation-how-much-is-too-much.php

All jets can be flown with only the pilots but combat effectiveness will be drastically reduced without the WSOs.

PAF should look in too at least 2 air refuelers for its vipers , we have a decent number of vipers keeping in mind that only the blk52 can carry cft's.

A Weapons Systems Officer (WSO) is a task/mission specific position.

When I was on the F-111, all WSOs are pilots and all F-111 pilots can be WSOs when needed. On the other hand, the F-14's WSO position is a non-pilot or non-aviator position. The F-14's WSO is called a 'naval flight officer'. On the F-111, if the pilot -- left seater -- is unable to fly the jet, the WSO -- right seater -- can take over as there is a control stick on the right side of the capsule. But on the F-14, if the pilot -- front seater -- is unable to fly, it is ejection time for both front and rear seats.

Both the F-111 and F-14 have unique cockpit controls for specific positions. For the pilots on the F-111 and F-14, instruments and controls are primarily for flight related issues. For the WSOs, instruments and controls are primarily for mission related issues.

The F-16I was designed with the same philosophy. While each cockpit can fly the jet, each cockpit have its own unique instruments and controls designed to separate tasks. The front cockpit is for flying, the rear cockpit is for whatever the mission is supposed to be.

Same for the F-15E Strike Eagle.

The reason the WSO is needed, whether the position requires a rated/certified aviator or not, is when the aircraft's missions (plural) increases to the point where division of responsibilities becomes necessary.

Task saturation...

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/safety/20130617-task-saturation-how-much-is-too-much.php

All jets can be flown with only the pilots but combat effectiveness will be drastically reduced without the WSOs.

I see. Kind of when the first USAF Phantoms had both pilots in the cockpits. But I believe Strike Eagles nowadays have navigators as WSOs, just like how NFOs for the F/A-18E/F Rhino community and the F/A-18D for the Marines.

Back
Top Bottom