What's new

Pakistan Air Force receives the first SAAB 2000 ERIEYE AWE&C aircraft

Guys I know verywell that this is wrong aircraft but this is not IL76/78 which is used in KJ2000 and not even an aircraft with KJ200 .
IS THIS A NEW BIRD?
4a56b8d6beb524bbbfd7df071454c7a6.jpg

I dont prefer to use interenet while im on day offs. but This story made me break my rule. Congratz to PAF and the whole nation on recipt of first AWACS.

PAF receives Swedish AWACS aircraft

ISHFAQULLAH SHAWL

ISLAMABAD (December 09 2009): First Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) SAAB-2000, aircraft from Sweden has landed at Pakistan Air Force base to further enhance the operational and surveillance capabilities of Pakistan Air Force (PAF). The first of four Swedish SAAB-2000 AWACS aircraft landed at an operational air base of PAF on Tuesday.

The acquisition of airborne early warning capability by the PAF would greatly enhance its defensive capabilities and is an essential part of its modernisation efforts, PAF sources said. They said the achievement of airborne early warning capability would provide much-needed boost to Pakistan's security.

They said the aircraft is also equipped with electronic surveillance support systems for intelligence gathering along with a full set of defensive aids. The project merges Saab's 2000 turboprop aircraft with Ericsson's Erieye radar system. Marking achievement of a major milestone in the overall modernisation of the PAF, the SAAB-2000 will not only enhance the operational capability of PAF but also make the defence of the country impregnable, said a spokesman of the PAF.

With the induction of Swedish AWACS, the PAF has become one of the few air forces in the world to have AWACS capability. Besides detection of high and medium altitude flying aircraft, this state-of-the-art aircraft is also capable of detecting low-level flying objects over land and sea at extended ranges, the PAF spokesman said.

He said the system is capable of picking even the surface targets over the sea. He said by virtue of these features the PAF would be able to boost its operational capabilities manifold by achieving requisite early warning for efficient and meaningful defence of its air space. The SAAB-2000 is one of the fastest turboprop airplanes in existence. It is able to cruise at a speed of over 665 km/h (360 kt).

In June 2006, Pakistan finalised the purchase of six SAAB 2000 turboprop aircraft to be equipped with the Saab-Ericsson Erieye Airborne Early Warning system. Revised in May 2007 due to renegotiations with the Government of Pakistan, only five aircraft will be delivered, four of which will be equipped with the Erieye system. On April 3, 2008, the first SAAB-2000 Erieye AEW&C was rolled out and presented to Pakistan Air Force officials during a ceremony in Sweden.

General characteristics of SAAB-2000

Crew: Flight crew of three to four

Capacity: Normal passenger accommodation for 50 at three abreast and 81 cm (32 in) pitch.

Max seating for 58 at three abreast and 76 cm (30 in) pitch, with repositioned galley and wardrobe

Length: 27.28 m (89 ft 6 in)

Wingspan: 24.76 m (81 ft 3 in)

Height: 7.73 m (25 ft 4 in)

Wing area: 55.7 m² (600 sq. ft)

Performance

Cruise speed: 682 km/h (424 mph, 368 knots) at 25,000 ft

Service ceiling: 31,000 ft

Rate of climb: 2,250 ft/min (11.4 m/s) initial Avionics

Rockwell Collins Pro Line 4 avionics suite with integrated avionics processor (IAP).

Source: Business Recorder, 2009

Can this detect the new USA unmanned drone plane "Beast of Kandahar" ?
comments please.

Can this detect the new USA unmanned drone plane "Beast of Kandahar" ?
comments please.
Hi,

Almost everything can be detected by the radar be it F-22, B-2 or this UAV because they are low observable not totally invisible.

The real and correct question is at what distance?

Frankly, even the engineers at SAAB won't have a clue to the RCS of that UAV let alone people on this forum that neither know the radar of the Erieye or the "Beast of Kandahar" UAV. Being smaller in size, stealthy (low observable) in shape and most probably materials too, I would say it will have quite a significantly low RCS. But then again, the erieye has a powerful radar.

At this point, and in my opinion, it is anyone's guess on how close it will have to be before giving up an echo on the radar.

my $0.02

The MLU ones? I doubt it.

As per the blk-52 schedule, first four aircraft will be ready in June 2010.

Just posted above.

I already posted this news few months (I guess Ocotber 09) ago

This is the old Saab 2000 which is in use with PAF for more then a year now. Used for training crew and transport purposes.

agreed sir jee. and i guess this is the only one that we have got. the only case as per my understanding is that an erieye equippped system is handed oner to PAF personal in sweden for evaluation and will fly home only in a couple of months time. can to kindly check this...
thanks

Guys I know verywell that this is wrong aircraft but this is not IL76/78 which is used in KJ2000 and not even an aircraft with KJ200 .
IS THIS A NEW BIRD?
4a56b8d6beb524bbbfd7df071454c7a6.jpg

Yes this is IAF falcon,but this Aircraft is also used for Awacs KJ-2000

No,this is simiar to KJ 2000,Pak is getting KJ-200

So The statement is Pakistan purchased Indian Plane from Sweden and confirming by BBC the most reliable sorce?????????(so called):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I believe this is the news item you gentlemen are talking about.

BBC News - Pakistan gets first Awacs plane

The title of the picture clearly says, "India took delivery of its Awacs aircraft in June". So that is the IAF taking delivery of its Phalcon.

May be its a good idea to read the caption before making fun or the fun is short lived and may turn around.

Btw, some interesting statement in that news article

Our correspondent says the Awacs planes and advanced F-16 fighter-bombers soon to arrive from the US will provide a qualitative edge to the Pakistan air force against its numerically superior adversary.

Pakistani military officials say the planes also have a greater range than similar aircraft in the Indian military and can be used as airborne command centres in case of a possible nuclear conflict.

Back
Top Bottom