What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

^^^ you could have used a better camera..
good pics,thanks

Just an update on the exclusive PAF article, which has been pending for several months now due to some clearance issues, I have now received confirmation from Alan Warnes that it will be published in December issue of Air International which should come out towards the end of next month.....I have been told the classified images are very exclusive.

There is nothing in December issue, are you sure its the December issue and not the JAN 13 issue.

Airy Tales!!!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Subject: [PAF Club] To: PAF Club <pafclub@groups.facebook.com>

A British pilot is writing a book on Hunter pilots and other pilots who have, during their carreer, come accross special events/incidents to relate so they can be shared with others. Here is one that you all may wish to read. If you like it, you may wish to place it on any forum so others can enjoy it. I have a few others but first lets see the reaction, if any, to this one.

-----Original Message-----
To:
Sent: Sun, Nov 4, 2012 10:12 am

After my return from a two year secondment with 92 Sqdn RAF where I was a member of the sixteen Hunter a/c &#8220;Blue Diamond&#8221; formation aerobatics team, I was posted as an instructor at the Fighter Leader School PAF base Mauripur near Karachi.

One day, leading a four ship F86 Sabre formation en-route to the air to air firing range, I was contacted by GCI to intercept an unidentified a/c inbound from India.

I asked my number 3 and 4 to continue with the mission while I and my number 2 went for the interception. After a series of left and right turns, I came in visual contact with the bogey about eight to ten miles away and informed GCI accordingly.

The GCI controller ordered me to shoot it down. I informed the controller that I would get closer to the bogey and identify what type of a/c it was. The controller answered that I was cleared to shoot it down.

As I got closer, I identified the a/c to be a Boeing 707 heading towards Karachi International airport. I informed the controller of the type of a/c but the controller without any hesitation ordered me to shoot it down.

By now, I was in close formation with the 707 and thoughts flashed through my mind, how could I shoot this a/c when I was trained in the USA, I am flying an a/c made in the USA, that this 707 is made in the USA and it is flying an American flag.

So I decided not to shoot it down and to follow it instead. I figured that the 707 could not out run me. This decision for me was agonizing, duty on one side and humanity on the other.

The 707 landed at the airport, I circled the airfield to make sure this a/c went to a gate and did not turn around and take off again.

Even though, intercept pilots are required to strictly follow all commands by a controller, in this instance common sense prevailed and thank God it did, saving many innocent lives and an International incident unlike the shooting down of a Korean 747 by Russian pilots over Kamchatka Island some years back with the loss of many innocent lives.

It turned out that the crew of this 707 filed a flight plan with the Indian civil aviation authorities which the Indians intentionally did not pass it on to the Pakistani civil aviation authorities.

I still wonder if the passengers on the 707 knew how close they came to a tragic end.

Back
Top Bottom