What's new

Pakistan accepts India's aid offer for flood relief work

karan.1970

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan accepts India's aid offer for flood relief work

New York: Pakistan has finally accepted India's offer of 5 million US dollars as aid for the devastating floods that have hit the country.

The decision came after days of diplomatic logjam and a stern message from the US on Thursday. Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh also called up Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Thursday and told him that India was ready to do more to assist in the relief effort.

Asserting that there is no role for politics in disaster response, the Obama Administration had said it expects Pakistan to accept the aid offer from India for its flood relief work.

"In terms of responding to a disaster, politics should play no role. You have a country (India) that's willing to help (Pakistan), and... we expect that Pakistan will accept," State Department spokesman P J Crowley said.

And within 24 hours of that remark, Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, who is in New York to drum up funding from the international community, confirmed to NDTV's Sarah Jacob that the government of Pakistan has agreed to accept the Indian offer and that his government appreciates India's gesture.

Here's more on what Shah Mahmood Qureshi said:

NDTV: Here you have travelled all the way to US to ask the international community to loosen its strings. India has offered aid but Pakistan has not accepted this offer as yet. Surely this is not a time for politics when people are dying.

Qureshi: No, we are playing no politics. To begin with let me acknowledge the fact that Minister for External Affairs Mr. Krishna called me in Islamabad and he expressed sympathy and he condoled with me on the loss of life and offered assistance to Pakistan. According to Pakistan's priorities, I want to take advantage of this connection to thank him and the government of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for this very positive gesture. It is highly appreciative in Pakistan and we have recognised it. PM Manmohan Singh called up Prime Minister Gilani and they have also exchanged views on evolving flood situation in Pakistan. He reiterated the offer made by Foreign Minister Krishna and I can share with you that the government of Pakistan has agreed to accept the Indian offer.

NDTV: So you are confirming that Pakistan has agreed to accept the Indian offer?

Qureshi: Yes.

NDTV: Another worry for international community and India and US is that Islamic extremist groups might take advantage of this opportunity to win over hearts and minds. Is this a worry for your government too?

Qureshi: I think what we saw today that the UN will not permit them to take advantage of the situation. I think the international community is now forthcoming and respondent and they are responding quickly and we will not allow them to exploit the situation.

NDTV: Lastly sir, Indo-Pak ties reached an all-time low after the Mumbai terror attacks. Is this acceptance of Indian aid and the offer from India a new chapter perhaps?

Qureshi: I think the ball was set rolling in Thimpu when the two prime ministers met and they agreed to resume the dialogue. And the meeting that we had in Islamabad was a step forward in that direction. I think this initiative of India is a very welcome initiative and I am looking forward to further engagements with my counterpart to improve the environment and build confidence and to bridge the trust deficit between the two countries.

Since india is a global superpower why they only offer ~5 million dollars? Why not at least 50 - 100 million dollars?

They spent billions in Afghanistan only to leave their lunch for Pakistan to eat but here the are only offering dessert? :disagree:

Since india is a global superpower why they only offer ~5 million dollars? Why not at least 50 - 100 million dollars?

They spent billions in Afghanistan only to leave their lunch for Pakistan to eat but here the are only offering dessert? :disagree:

They offered 5 million when your so-called closest ally had offered 1 million dollars only (China). American and many european countries had offered less than 5 million dollars each (if i am not wrong).

Not saying its good decision or bad..... just keeping the records straight

PS: India is thinking to increase the aid package and considering we sent aid after tsunami and India accepted it, i think its a good decision by the GoP

India can give more and India told this as well. Just today this offer is accepted so wait for sometime.

Thank you India.

Remember, there were Hurricane Katrina floods (2005) in New Orleans, India gave $5 millions and Pakistan 1.5 millions.

Keep politics out of it. Humanity comes first!

thats 5 million dollars for Pakistan,,,,,,,,,,,

Initially 5 million in Aid, Our PM said we are ready to do more, this by itself took you ages to think and Accept.... Now We are ready to give anything, But the Pakistan Embassy is not accepting any relief materials from here for Your Kind Information......

Initially 5 million in Aid, Our PM said we are ready to do more, this by itself took you ages to think and Accept.... Now We are ready to give anything, But the Pakistan Embassy is not accepting any relief materials from here for Your Kind Information......

Because it has just been granted!
They may start accepting from now on!

Because it has just been granted!
They may start accepting from now on!

So, One should not criticize the Helping hand In the Time of Need.... No Matter How small It is, every
8px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png
hard Earned money of Indian Tax Payers.... Even If You dont thank us, Please do Not Insult it....

Last edited:
who cars about point scoring is the part of Politics it's a decent gesture by india THANKS:cheers:

The problem is not Aid offered by India problem is Indian Media and half of Indian population who will start bashing and counting this Aid 5 bn$$ after when GOP accepted.. they will start so called bashing like "Pakistan nay akir kaar baharat say aid layli... PAkistan kay bheek maanganay pe Baharat nay Aid di... Pakistan ko Baharat nay Aid de kyoonkay unkay paas paisay nahe something like that.."

BEFORE POINT OUT PAKISTAN ANGLE first WATCH from INDIAN ANGLE as well

Thanks India if they offer anykind of help aid but watch everyangle... no one accept Insult either PAkistan or India or UK or USA

The problem is not Aid offered by India problem is Indian Media and half of Indian population who will start bashing and counting this Aid 5 bn$$ after when GOP accepted.. they will start so called bashing like "Pakistan nay akir kaar baharat say aid layli... PAkistan kay bheek maanganay pe Baharat nay Aid di... Pakistan ko Baharat nay Aid de kyoonkay unkay paas paisay nahe something like that.."

Thanks India if they offer anykind of help aid but watch everyangle... no one accept Insult either PAkistan or India or UK or USA

Buddy, what exactly did Your foreign Minister His shah Mehmood Quereshi say after India Agreed for talks??? Can you recollect what all He said, Or Do I need to Quote his words???

We can Differentiate Between Aid to the country and Aid to the Victims very well.... So Please If You dont want it, dont take it.... But never Insult The Contribution

Anyone who tries to score points or take potshots on this issue is a troll of the 1st order and should be treated as such. We shouldnt fall to such a level that we use a tragedy of this magnitude to score points.

Last edited:
No country bases their decision based on what media say's or what people say on forum. That way USA is not treated well both by media and people of Pakistan. That is a trash argument. Even Pakistani does the same but India does not base their decision on such factors.

Back
Top Bottom