Pakistan: A Flawed Idea - M J Akbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeacefulIndian

Reaction score
MJ Akbar
A flawed idea
8 Mar 2009, 0238 hrs IST, M J Akbar

Indians and Pakistanis are the same people. Why then have the two nations moved on such divergent arcs over the last six decades? The idea of India
is stronger than the Indian, and the idea of Pakistan weaker than the Pakistani. Multi-religious, multi-ethnic, secular, democratic India was an idea that belonged to the future; one-dimensional Pakistan was a concept borrowed from the fears of the past. India has progressed into a modern nation occasionally hampered by backward forces. Pakistan is regressing into a medieval society with a smattering of modern elements.

Pakistan was born out of the wedlock of two inter-related propositions. Its founders argued, without any substantive evidence, that Hindus and Muslims could never live together as equals in a single nation. They imposed a parallel theory, perhaps in an effort to strengthen the argument with an emotive layer, that Islam was in danger on the subcontinent. Pakistan's declared destiny, therefore, was not merely as a refuge for some Indian Muslims, but also a fortress of the faith. This was the rationale for what became known as the "two-nation theory". The British bought the argument, the Congress accepted it reluctantly, the Muslim League exulted.

The Indian state was founded on equality and equity: political equality through democracy, religious equality through secularism, gender equality, and economic equity. Economic equality is a fantasy, but without an equitable economy that works towards the elimination of poverty there cannot be a sustainable state. India, therefore, saw land reforms and the abolition of zamindari. Pakistan has been unable to enforce land reforms. India and Pakistan were alternative models for a nation-state. Time would determine which idea had the legs to reach a modern horizon.

The two strands within Pakistan's DNA began to slowly split its personality. The father of the nation, Mohammed Ali Jinnah, thought he had produced a child in his own image, but his secular prescription was soon suppressed. His ideas were buried at his funeral. His heirs began to concede space to mullahs like Maulana Maudoodi who asked, in essence, that if Pakistan had been created to defend Islam, then who would be its best guardians?

After some debate, the first Constitution in 1956 proclaimed Pakistan as an "Islamic" state. It was an uneasy compromise. No one cared (or dared) to examine what it might mean. The principal institutions of state, and the economy, remained largely in the control of the secular tendency until, through racist prejudice, arrogance and awesome military incompetence it was unable to protect the integrity of the nation. The crisis of 1969-1971, and the second partition of the subcontinent, which created a Muslim-majority Bangladesh out of a Muslim-majority Pakistan, forced Pakistan to introspect deeply about its identity.

Perhaps the last true secularist of this Islamic state was the Western-Oriented-Gentleman Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, who came to power in 1971, preached emancipation from poverty and did not mind a spot of whisky in the evening. By the end of his six years in office, he had imposed prohibition. The ground had begun to shift even before the coup that brought Gen Zia to power.

Zia had the answer to his own question: if Islam was the cement of Pakistan, how could you expect the edifice to survive if the cement had been diluted. Islam became the ideology of the state, not as a liberal and liberating influence, but in its Wahabi manifestation: compulsory prayers in government offices, public flogging, the worst form of gender bias in legislation, the conversion of history into anti-Hindu and anti-Indian fantasy, a distorted school curriculum, with "Islamic knowledge" becoming a criterion for selection to academic posts. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan provided the excuse for the adoption of "jihad" as state policy as well as a medley of irregular forces, liberally funded by American and Saudi money. The madrassas became not only the supply factories for irregular soldiers, but also the breeding ground for armed bands that are holding Pakistan hostage today.

If it had been only a question of an individual's excesses Zia's death could have been a swivel moment for the restoration of the pre-Zia era, particularly since his successor was Benazir Bhutto. But in the quarter century since his sudden death by mid-air explosion, no one in Islamabad has had the courage to change the curriculum or challenge the spread of the madrassas. There are now over 20,000 of them, with perhaps two million students, most (not all) of them controlled by extremists. Worse, prompted by thoughtless advice, Benazir engineered the rise of the Taliban and helped it conquer Kabul. The children of Gen Zia are now threatening Islamabad. Sometimes a simple fact can illuminate the nature of a society. During the 2005 earthquake, male students of the Frontier Medical College were stopped by religious fanatics - their elders - from saving girls from the rubble of their school building. The girls were allowed to die rather than be "polluted" by the male touch. This would be inconceivable in India.

For six decades, power in Pakistan has teetered between military dictatorship and civilian rule. When the credibility of civilians was exhausted the people welcomed the army; when the generals overstayed their welcome, the citizen returned to political parties. Pakistan is facing a dangerous moment, when the credibility of both the military and politicians seems to have ebbed beyond recovery. How long before the poor and the middle classes turn to the theocrats waiting to take over? The state has already handed over a province like Swat to Islamic rule. Men like Baitullah Mehsud, Mangal Bagh and Maulana Faziullah are a very different breed from the mullahs who have already been co-opted and corrupted by the system. They have a supplementary query which resonates with the street and the village after 9/11: why is Pakistan's army fighting America's war against fellow Muslims? Any suggestion that Pakistan might have become a much larger base for terrorists than Afghanistan ever was is met with the usual response, denial.

On the day that terrorists attacked Sri Lankan cricketers, I had a previously arranged speaking engagement at a university in Delhi before largely Muslim students. I began with the suggestion that every Indian Muslim should offer a special, public prayer of thanks to the Almighty Allah for His extraordinary benevolence - for the mercy He had shown by preventing us from ending up in Pakistan in 1947. The suggestion was received with startled amusement, instinctive applause and a palpable sense of sheer relief.

A flawed idea-The Siege Within-MJ Akbar-Columnists-Opinion-The Times of India

What do you expect from Indian Authors?They hate the very existence of Pakistan but regardless it will continue to exist and will be pain in the *** for Indians.Let me remind you something we will not stay in the current state forever.Pakistan will recover.

What do you expect from Indian Authors?They hate the very existence of Pakistan but regardless it will continue to exist and will be pain in the *** for Indians.Let me remind you something we will not stay in the current state forever.Pakistan will recover.

Neither I want to hurt anyone's feeling nor I have written above article. I just want to put forward, how Indian muslim analysists view current situation in Pakistan.
Let me assure you that M J Akbar is one of the most Pro-Pakistani Indian analysts. When I initially started reading his articles, I mistakenly thought that he was a Pakistani. That is why I have put forward his article here.

And if you really want to debate this article, please post facts & statistics to refute his claims. That is much better idea than just posting patriotic sentences.

I've met my fair share of Indian Muslims in the US.

Most of them dont like that there is a Pakistan, some say that was a division between Muslims of North west British empire (who were majority in their area) and the Muslims of Hindustan (who were a minority in their area). I've also noticed that a few Muslims who left India for Pakistan during partition dont like being separated from Muslims of Hindustan, but they are a very small minority. Other Indian Muslims dont like Pakistan because they say they are Indians first, Muslims second...they say that Pakistan is an enemy and Pakistan cant take Kashmir from Hindustan, they identify themselves with Hindus, they marry Hindus, go to Hindu temples, take part in Hindu rituals. They are basically like the majority of Hindustanis and most Indian Muslims are like this.

Now for Pakistan it was a must or else we would see the same riots of Gujrat 2002 happening all over the subcontinent. Muslims and Hindus didn't get along before partition. Jinnah saw discrimination against Muslims in the Indian congress. Then with the help of Allama Iqbal's vision, Jinnah began realizing that Pakistan was a must to keep Muslim majority North west British India to be kept Muslim majority. We also saw Indian governement planning to grant land to a Hindu shrine this past summer in Indian Occupied Kashmir, if Kashmiris hadn't protested for months and made noise today Hindus from Hindustan would be settled in those areas in Muslim majority Kashmir.

Muslims are a minority in Hindustan, they make only 14% of the population...if Pakistan was part of India today we Pakistanis would be minorities in our own land. Either way Hindus wont be minority, so it works out for them that they get extra land and still stay the majority in the nation.

What guarentee is that another Gujrat 2002 or Babri Masjid 1992 incidents wont reoccur in India? What guarentee is that the Indian government wont grant land to a Hindu shrine and bring Hindu settlers in Muslim majority regions?

India says its doing great these days, thats good for them, I dont wish bad for any nation but if its doing great and Pakistan is doing so bad then why do we always hear that Indians want Pakistan to join their country and not Pakistanis wanting to join the "growing" India? Why is it that even today we see protests in Indian Occupied Kashmir against being part of India and not any protests in Pakistan's Azad Kashmir against being part of Pakistan. If India was the next big thing, wouldn't Kashmiris all love to be part of India like how they love to live in UK? Wouldn't we see protests in Pakistan's Azad Kashmir against being part of Pakistan and they would rather be part of India?

Last edited:
Flawed Idea or not I couldn't care less, I'm damn proud and glad that i'm a Pakistani and can live under the Pakistani flag and people.
Ofcourse you'll see such an article coming from an Indian author, it seems like the grapes are still sour and that not everone can accept the partition of Pakistan/India.
Also, Omar is completely right, we would've been a minority in our own country and god knows what could've happened if we still were one nation, perhaps there would be a civil war or a muslim vs hindu kind of war all around in India.
It's better that we both went our own way.
Anyways, i'm Pakistani, and I don't know about you guys, but India does not play any part in my history since i've been born as Pakistani.

Also, to quote this last line:
On the day that terrorists attacked Sri Lankan cricketers, I had a previously arranged speaking engagement at a university in Delhi before largely Muslim students. I began with the suggestion that every Indian Muslim should offer a special, public prayer of thanks to the Almighty Allah for His extraordinary benevolence - for the mercy He had shown by preventing us from ending up in Pakistan in 1947. The suggestion was received with startled amusement, instinctive applause and a palpable sense of sheer relief.

This is simply propaganda to make Indian muslims and their position and status in India look better, but in reality, they are 2nd class citizens and I don't know how in pete's name they can be proud of a nation which is dominated by Hindu's, but ohwell, I guess everyone has their own choice.
The idea of Pakistan is beautiful, it's called freedom, freedom from Hindu's who hate muslims, the freedom to live on our own and not in a nation which is the so-called biggest democracy on earth and is "secular", that is all but true, the country is ruled and dominated by Hindu's, and the Indian muslims may be proud of their nation and all, but they'll always be considered as slaves in my eyes IF they look at Pakistan with a negative view for no reason at all.
Everyone get's to decide his/her future, the Pakistanis decided theirs, and the Indian muslims decided theirs aswell, however, it's still funny, that whenever you talk about an "Indian", you automatically think of Hindu's or a slight sense of Buddhism also comes up, where do Muslims come into play? I guess that's the perception the world has, and especially from my experience in the western world.
People should not question us Pakistani's will to build further upon our dream of realizing a country which treats it's people with care and is open to all markets, cultures, beliefs and kinds.

Last edited:
This article raises a important question.Why do Indian Muslims have to go out of their way to prove that they are loyal to India?Maybe Hindu's don't consider them loyal to India...hmm

Last edited:
This articles raises a important question.Why do Indian Muslims have to go out of their way to prove that they are loyal to India?Mabye Hindu's don't consider them loyal to India...hmm

Thats exactly what I've noticed Indian Muslims go out of their way to please Hindus.

This articles raises a important question.Why do Indian Muslims have to go out of their way to prove that they are loyal to India?Mabye Hindu's don't consider them loyal to India...hmm

I think we are open to accepting Indian Muslims as Pakistanis, if they wish, atleast as Pakistani, they can be proud of their identity, and will be treated as equal citizens.

The guy is not an Indian muslim, MJ akbar has a muslim sounding name, thats all.

Just cus somebody is called akbar, or jawed, we immediately think they are muslims. That is not always the case.

He has obviously gone back to the roots of his grandfather prayag, a Hindu orphan raised by a muslim family. That's why he has named his own son prayag and given a hindu name to his daughter.

Do not castigate Indian muslims because of this.

Famous pakistani journalist Nadira has married wrinkly old V.s Naipaul, and prances around as lady naipaul, defending this hindtuva sympathiser, who has won the nobel laureate solely on the basis of attacking islam and Pakistan.

Does that mean that Muslims from other countries should castigate Pakistan for having given birth to the journalist Nadira Khanum Alevi alias Lady Naipaul, once famously called the Bride of Dracula?

I think we are open to accepting Indian Muslims as Pakistanis, if they wish, atleast as Pakistani, they can be proud of their identity, and will be treated as equal citizens.

No, leave them in India..its obvious most of them love India and love their fellow Hindu countrymen. Besides we dont want Pakistan to be overcrowded like India...our population is already 172 million that's more than enough.

I say send traitors like Altaf Hussein back to hindustan.

OK if Pakistan is a Flawed Idea then why Indians are Always Demanding all the Muslims of India to go to Pakistan ( I am referring to statements by the Indian Politicians ).

Indian Muslims will continue to be portrayed as terrorists and as "BHAIS" in Bollywood ( who go to Kill people after praying Namaz ).

Muslims in Indian Occupied Kashmir will continue to suffer the Indian Brutalities and Indian govt will always deny all the allegations and will put all the blame on Pakistani Backed Jihadis.

Muslims in India will see their Masjids being destroyed by fellow Indian countrymen and cases like "Gujarat Riots" will keep happening whenever Any Political party needs a "Vote Bank".

MJ Akbar is an Indian intellectual and only human, thus given to praising his country whenever the opportunity arises.

I disagree with the premise that Pakistan was a flawed idea. Pakistanis and Indians are not the same people. IMO the two nation theory was based upon correct perceptions at that point in time. That is why even the staunchly pro Indian Viceroy (Lord Mountbatten) was in agreement with the idea of partition. However, soon after the independence, other forces such as linguistic and ethnic identities started playing a more active role.

1948 language riots gave rise to the Bengali nationalism which was exploited to the full by the Bengali intellectuals dominated by the Hindus. Even the national poet of East Pakistan, Qazi Nazrul Islam continued to live in India and only moved to Dacca in 1972 after Bengal Desh had been formed. (I must say that Nazrul Islam was suffering from an incurable disease and that this could be why he chose to remain in India). Nazrul Islam was against Khilafat movement and his religious beliefs can be ascertained from the fact that he named his son Krishan Mohammed.

Similar schisms appeared in West Pakistan. We had Pakhtunistan movement of Bacha Khan, Jiya Sindh Movement and Baluch Independence movement. Muslims as a separate identity to Hindus can only work when there is a Damocles Sword of being overwhelmed by Hindu majority hanging over your neck all the time. Why would anyone care about Two Nation theory in a nation where 90% population is Muslim? Thus religion is a unifying force only when in confrontation with the non believers, whenever that threat is gone religion becomes irrelevant. Mujahideen factions fighting among themselves in Afghanistan after the Soviet withdrawal is the clearest indication that religion is not a unifying force.

I do agree with MJ Akbar that our political leadership was of much poorer quality. This was mainly due to lack of an influential urban middle class. Most of the leaders were from the landed gentry which continue to this day. Therefore land reforms were only in name and used to target political opponents. Economically Pakistan was doing better than India until ZA Bhutto’s time. India did not undergo thru a process of unmitigated nationalization of industry that Pakistan had to suffer under Mr. ZA Bhutto.

I agree with MJ Akbar's statement about Zia ul Haq and Benazir Bhutto. Zia was the first Head of State born in India (Jallandhar). He was not from land owning class, thus had no grass root support accept thru exploitation of Islamic forces and thru bigotry.
I am of the firm opinion that 90% of what ails Pakistan of today originated during the Zia ul Haq era.

BB, despite being ZAB’ daughter lacked her fathers intelligence and political acumen. Results of her short sighted decision to back Gen Nasirullah Babar's Taliban strategy are here for all to see.

In my opinion Pakistan was not a flawed idea but is a dream gone sour. Over all I dismiss MJ Akbar’s article as just another ranting of an Indian auhor who is trying to be apologetic about Muslims in India and wants to remain in good books of the Hindu majority.

Now is that suported by facts? What happened with the mohajirs is well known. fact is religion is no basis for running a nation state, the idea is artificial. whereas a secular democracy imposes no idea, hence leads to less conflict.

BTW how did muslims of pakistan decide they can not live with hindus when in fact they had lived with hindus for a thousand years, and how did they decide they will be ill treated when in fact they had never lived under hindu rule (or one in which their mosques were destroyed, they made to pay special taxes etc etc?). sorry for the off topic comment, but i've always wondered abt it.

and abt gujarat, there's no guarantee it'll not happen again, just the same way there's no guarantee there won't be one more operation searchlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom