ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan’s India obsession

By Yaqoob Khan Bangash Published: September 9, 2013

601995-YaqoobKhanBangashNewagain-1378745286-512-640x480.JPG

The writer is the Chairperson of the Department of History

A few years ago, during a discussion on Pakistan’s identity at Forman Christian College, the then Vice-Rector, Dr Marcia Grant, remarked that perhaps Pakistan’s identity was ‘Not India’. While almost all the other people there, mainly Pakistanis, shrugged off the suggestion, I always thought that the brilliant Dr Grant had hit the nail on its head.

From its inception, Pakistan has been simply obsessed with India. Like the neglected twin, Pakistan has always looked at its larger, and now more prosperous, neighbour for comparison. For Pakistan, India was the ‘other’ and had to be reacted against. Hence, just because India celebrates its independence day on August 15, Pakistan has to show it one up and celebrate it a day earlier; just because India has nuclear weapons, Pakistan needs them too; just because the US signed a civil nuclear agreement with India, Pakistan needs the same deal too and so on. It seems that Pakistan’s existence is almost inextricably tied with an eternal competition with India, no matter what the cost to its exchequer and people.

That said, some of Pakistan’s obsession is not unwarranted. India did try to throttle Pakistan in 1947-48, especially by blocking Pakistan’s due share of sterling and rupee reserves; it did cut off Pakistan’s canal waters in 1948; and it did help the Bengali secessionists to achieve independence in 1971 and inflicted a crushing defeat on Pakistan. That much, and more, is true. However, we must also remember that it is the same India that signed the Indus Water Treaty in 1960, giving Pakistan three rivers which it could have easily retained; it is the same India that did not occupy Pakistan in 1971 when it could have; and it is the same India whose prime minister visited Pakistan on ‘Bus diplomacy’ in 1999, when he had no real need for it. The same India has managed to be an enemy and an accommodating neighbour.

I come from a military dominated family. My father fought for the country in the Second World War and then worked in the Pakistan Movement and a large number of my father’s side of the family is either in the army or the police. Hence, September 6, Defence Day, has always been an important patriotic day for us.

While I will save comment on Ayub Khan’s exemplary spin in 1965 for another day, what has recently intrigued me is that we rarely take the name ‘India’ during programmes/events on September 6. We usually just say ‘enemy country’ and leave the listeners to know that we mean India. It is as if ‘India’ and ‘enemy’ are synonymous. This is symptomatic of our India obsession and our great fallacy, I believe.

As we make our slow transition into regular democratic rule, I hope that we can also learn two lessons from the past. First, that there are no permanent friends or enemies in international affairs. This is something which every student of international relations learns on the first day, but it is still an alien concept in Pakistan. Pakistanis still divide the world into ‘friends’ and ‘foes’ and base their foreign policy on this precept, which is obviously flawed. States formulate policy on interests. The improvement of Sino-Indian relations is a prime example of this. India has been an ‘enemy’ but it can also be a ‘friend’.

Secondly, and most importantly, we need to end our almost maniac obsession with India. We can no longer be ‘Not India’ and cannot any longer act like a neglected twin. At least I would like to live in a country which does not define itself against any other country, but has its own identity and is comfortable with it.

Obviously, identity formation is a long process and Pakistan is mired in several problems here, but still it would be healthy for Pakistan to think about what makes it special rather than what it is rejecting. Our India-centricism has not only created a false image of us but has also prevented us from focusing on things which would improve the lives of people in our country, like education, health and sanitation — simply the basics. September 6, Defence Day unites the whole country, but it is indeed very sad that only anti-Indianism brings the country together — surely, there is more to Pakistan?

Published in The Express Tribune, September 10th, 2013.

Pakistan

we both are obsessed with each other ... like ambani brothers ... :cheesy:

Now all Indians must have a group fap session to this article...

Anyways.. I believe this article is very cheap & immature. The ET writer probably had to jumble something up as it was deadline... And what better than flogging Pakistan and ignoring India's own problems which number higher than Pakistans?
Like pot calling kettle black...

What was that famous quote by Zardari? There is a little bit of Indian in every Pakistani and a little bit of Pakistani in every Indian think it was his wife who first said this but he later used it also.

September 6, Defence Day unites the whole country, but it is indeed very sad that only anti-Indianism brings the country together
not only this it will also bring nuke tech,arms,fdi from higher than himalayas lower than ...

Common man doesnt give a crap whats going on in India... Do you think i care about india when i go buy something?

most public now dont even care about india anymore. our eastern front is more.. check reactions of LOC in between the 2 border... on pak side, barely any reaction, while on hindu side there was war mongering and chants...
so you can tell which country is united on anti-xyz country and which is not..

we both are obsessed with each other ... like ambani brothers ... :cheesy:

Lol..........

There should be an entrepreneur who launches a perfume and cologne for men titled "sub-continent obsession".

The catch line could be "let your enemy know you are thinking of them".:cheesy:

Wow that was brutally blunt-

So how many Pakistanis, have worked with Indians and have closely experienced them in middleast etc.... and agree with Mr. Bangash?

Yeah ambani brothers ki kia story hai? :what:

after papa ambani died ... chota ambani and bada ambani did not get along well... one might say bada was overbearing.. other say chote ne bagawat karna hee tha kon ki wo baagi hai... :P

so they split their business empire, but story wahan khatam nahi hui ... they started to become business rivals .. and in some cases it apprears decision were taken just to harm other side than to gain anything for own co...

last yeard.. they were some how brought together by their mutual friends and mama ambani .. and became brothers again

now this is the best ending to disney story but ......

Bangasha malgarya

i beg to differ.through some sources which i would not want to disclose i had come to know what

Indians take Bhagwan name only once a day but Pakistani 100 times.

Someone also told me zaid hamid is there new bhagwan.though i think he was wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom