What's new

Pak President urges people not to observe Valentine’s Day

Was not expecting such a Talabani statement from President. Somone tell em he is President of Pakistan.

Was not expecting such a Talabani statement from President. Somone tell em he is President of Pakistan.

I wonder who are sitting in higher offices of Pakistan. Their foreign policy isn't ideal, how they tried to cash the death of an Indian soldier on Siachen. Not any real initiation.

9469104.jpg

a5caf0a77406d71d30bf49e6027b359213f3a897feefad4b3064207e9408f53e.jpg

Moron has nothing else to do..... if he wants to do something constructive, he should make a public statement against LeJ, JuD and LeT, ban their activities, and let's see if he lives to see the next day.

Fuc*ing morons..... all of them at the top. ALL OF THEM.

What happens when you celebrate Valentine's Day with Mamnoon and protesters? I find out
NOMAN ANSARI

Can an anti-Valentine's Day protest shed light on the contentious holiday?

56c1914ca235f.jpg
Can an anti-Valentine's Day protest shed light on the contentious holiday?

As I woke up on Saturday morning, a day before Valentine’s Day, I was left stupefied by a shocking piece of news on Dawn.com.

The headline read: “President urges people not to observe Valentine’s Day.”

Shaking my head with disbelief, I wondered if it was merely a clever piece of satire.

Giving in to curiosity, I gave the article a read.

While the story indeed seemed real, it wasn’t any less surprising:

“President Mamnoon Hussain on Friday urged people of the country not to observe Valentine’s Day, saying that it was not a part of Muslim tradition, but of the West. Addressing a function, the president said: “Valentine’s Day has no connection with our culture and it should be avoided.”

56c18e7e2fe45.jpg
The statement was followed by evil laughter -- Mamnoon was punishing everyone for him forgetting to buy his wife flowers!

Still skeptical, I decided to seek confirmation. Here, I emailed my editor at Dawn, texted my contacts at other newspapers, called my therapist, messaged my friends on Facebook, and even spoke to my parents.

Yes, dear readers, it is true. Apparently this country does have an incumbent president and his name is Mamnoon Hussain. Clearly, we didn’t know he existed until now because he didn’t have a national issue as pressing as Valentine’s Day to speak against.

(No-Ishq-e-)Mamnoon Hussain’s words resonated with me. He was right. Valentine’s Day had no connection with our culture.

The fact that he delivered this speech in English, a language of a culture other than our own, merely seemed like intelligent commentary on how deeply Western culture had been adopted by Pakistanis.

Impressed by the President’s stance, I Googled some of his images. Here are a few of them:

I was impressed by his devotion. Clearly, in an attempt to highlight how widely Pakistan has adopted Western culture, President Mamnoon Hussain had worn dashing Western suits in the vast majority of his public appearances. What’s more, he was wearing a red tie and handkerchief in every picture.

56c18d6478927.jpg
Hussain is a big fan of the emotionally intense colour of love

“Aha!” I thought. “This is more intelligent commentary on the integration of imperialist Western culture. This man pretends to celebrate Valentine’s Day every day of the year. I haven’t seen such dedication in method acting since Heath Ledger took on the role of The Joker!”

I certainly appreciated the president’s wisdom. In a country suffering from target killings, honor killings, extortion, kidnappings, poverty, corruption, terrorism, illiteracy, forced conversions, child marriages, rapes, gang rapes, child molestations, obviously for a president, the evils of Valentine’s Day were top priority.

Or perhaps he just needed a girlfriend.

At an anti-Valentine's Day protest I asked a niqab clad protestor why she was at the rally. “Because adopting elements of a foreign culture are wrong ya akhi!” she shouted. I was taken aback. “But isn’t the niqab you are wearing an element of foreign culture too?" I replied
“This is a good start,” I mused. “Let’s start by banning Valentine’s Day, and then perhaps we can ban men like Maulana Fabdul Fabreeze, who openly sympathizes with militant outfits like Al-Qaeda, Taliban, and ISIS. Surely Valentine’s Day is more dangerous than someone who speaks openly against the state.”

56c1985051149.jpg

Moron has nothing else to do..... if he wants to do something constructive, he should make a public statement against LeJ, JuD and LeT, ban their activities, and let's see if he lives to see the next day.

Fuc*ing morons..... all of them at the top. ALL OF THEM.

Oh just be quiet bro! You have no idea about the dangers of this day. Have you ever seen how dangerous a 18 year old boy can be with a box of chocolates strapped to his arm? How about a lady carrying a hearts shaped ballon? Worse yet, what about the thousands of Valentines cards flying around Pakistan, being sent to people, do you realise the damage this spreading of love does? It all leads to besharmi, which is far worse than a savage detonating a suicide belt and killing 50 people.

we can observe soood khoor day, though, ku mr president:disagree:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom