What's new

Pak pilots in Egypt 67-73

In 1967, Nur Khan volunteered to serve in the allegiance of Arab countries’ Air Forces against Israel during the Six-Day War. He flew in many aerial missions and witnessed the dogfight with Israeli IAF whose pilots noted his aerial skills during the conflict. In fact, the IAF’s fighter pilot, Major-General Ezer Weizman, the former Israeli President (1993–2000) and Defence Minister (1977–80), wrote in his autobiography that:

“He was a formidable fellow and I was glad that he was Pakistani and not an Egyptian”.

Under his leadership the PAF pilots shot down many Israeli jets without losing a Single jet or a Dogfight.

He advised the Arab countries that:

“Your Air forces cannot match the numerical and technological advanced air force of Israel and it will take you a lot of time to come to the level of IAF so I advise you to at least improve your Air Defense capabilities so that you can inflict damage to IAF, you have a great ally USSR (Soviet Union) take Anti-Aircraft missiles from them”.

Arab countries listened to his advice and started procuring Anti Air craft missiles(SAMS) from USSR and this had a significant impact in 1973 war. As compared to just few losses in 1967 war IAF suffered 100s of losses in 1973 due to advanced Air defense capabilities of Arab countries.

After the Six-Day conflict, Nur Khan returned to Pakistan to complete his tenure as Commander-in-Chief of Pakistan Air Force under President Ayub Khan and retired in 1969.

Source

i'm a member of other arab defense forum and were talking about the participation of foreign soldiers and pilots in our wars including pakistanis , north koreans , cubans etc .. so I found it nice to write a thread about Pakistanis.

First time I hear about Pakistanis pilots in Zimbabwe but I'll search about it.
Please do; there was a huge contingent. Mostly flying hunters and then hawks and mig21s with training of Zim pilots.

If I recall - my memory is starting to fade - Zia visited uncle TIm; - I think it was 1986 and met them as well.

I know of it because there was a daylight raid that day into Harare as well as Lusaka.

@Gomig-21

Your topic of interest.

Absolutely and I do recall seeing those pics a long while ago, I just don't think they're taking in Egypt TBH.

Another pilot of the Pakistan Air Force flying an Egyptian MiG-21 fighter jet shot down an Israeli F-4 in air combat.

As you mentioned that hardly any of it is even mentioned in the Arabic historical records, can I ask you where you got that info? Even the video you posted spoke of him (and he is quite the fighter pilot no question) having flown and making amazing kills against the Israelis and then for Iraq, but he didn't mention him being in Egypt? I'm just curious, that's all.

The only country missing from our war trophy is the US which i do believe will happen sooner than later considering how the new alliances are formed and lines drawn.

Absolutely and I do recall seeing those pics a long while ago, I just don't think they're taking in Egypt TBH.

As you mentioned that hardly any of it is even mentioned in the Arabic historical records, can I ask you where you got that info? Even the video you posted spoke of him (and he is quite the fighter pilot no question) having flown and making amazing kills against the Israelis and then for Iraq, but he didn't mention him being in Egypt? I'm just curious, that's all.

They did not serve in Egypt for long. During the Yom Kippur war, the ones who were sent to Egypt had to be rerouted to other countries after Egypt agreed to a ceasefire. Reportedly, Flt. Lt. M. Hatif was the one who shot down the F-4 while flying an Egyptian Mig-21. The PAF contingent deployed at Inchas Air Base (Egypt) was led by him.

This is Sattar Alvi's account of the Yom Kippur war. Saif ul Azam's biography is a good read on his service during the 6-day war.

Last edited:
Another pilot of the Pakistan Air Force flying an Egyptian MiG-21 fighter jet shot down an Israeli F-4 in air combat.
I’ve just checked and YES, Flt Lt Masood Hatif (A Pakistani) did take part in an Air Combat between 7 Egyptian MiG-21s and several Mirages & Phantoms. Precisely over Kabrit after the 20th of October. And he did claim an F-4 shot down but neither he nor the other pilots claims were confirmed by the Israelis. He was a part of a group of 8 Pakistanis who would arrive on or after the 20th of October. I’ve rechecked Arab MiGs Vol.6 for this information. He and four others would make it back to base with the leader getting shot down and injuring himself after ejecting over the Deversoir Gap (later reached by Egyptians) and the leader’s wingman being shot down by an Israeli Phantom’s missile as witnessed by the Egyptian pilots. Neither Masood Hatif’s claim or others were confirmed but the flight leader did shoot down an F-4 that was confirmed by the Egyptian who would rescue him after ejection.
The Pakistanis did not fly a combat operation in the name of Egypt but did train Libyan and Egyptian Mirage V pilots before 1973. Since the Egyptian Mirage V pilots were transferring from Su-7s and lacked the necessary operation principles for the Mirages. And their manuals were the main source for teaching new cadets air combat precisely at low speeds. The Pakistanis were praised by Samir Mikhael, an Egyptian who would score 2 confirmed, 1 probable and 2 further claims by flying MiG-21 PFL and MiG-21M.
I was wrong, I apologize.

5a6b2678a4b61.jpg

Gp Capt (Retd) Masood Hussaini paints a formation of Pakistani pilots making a low pass after Combat Air Patrol over the Pyramids. The PAF contingent was deployed at Inchas Air Base close to Cairo during the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom