What's new

Pak keen on eliminating Indian media from country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Joseph

Reaction score

Amid news of banning Indian entertainment channels, TV soaps and films in the country, Pakistan government is said to be making constant efforts for keeping Indian media out of its country.

For the purpose, the government of Pakistan is setting up new laws and guidelines for elimination of Indian media. It is also making laws strict for reporting in Pakistan.

A law named Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Bill is due for consideration in the assembly, which has the provisions of banning electronic media from the reporting, coverage and telecast of any defamatory content against government and also from covering terrorist attacks in the Pakistani territory.

The information has been learnt from major English daily of Pakistan, The Dawn. The newspaper has reported about a meeting presided by Information Secretary Mansoor Sohail for the discussion of future guidelines for electronic and print media regarding the same. The media has been labeled with topic 'Media Co-ordination Committee on Defence Planning'. The committee will suggest measures for dilution and ultimate elimination of Indian media infiltration in the country.:confused::confused:

Any idea of what all Indian medias operating there?

Good ...I think they should do it.....ban India channels.....

No more conspiracy theories can be decoded by watching Hindi Soaps ....LOL

Out of curiosity, how many Pakistani channels are available on your standard cable packages in India?

I've used two cable providers and one sat provider in Pakistan and I get probably 20-30 indian channels, 60+ Pakistani channels (I've lost count) along with the Russian, Chinese, German, US and British fare.

Just to put this news item in context, I am wondering if Indian cable providers have ever carried Pakistani news and current affairs channels in their lineup?

is pakistani channels are also banned in india? can any one confirm this

regards

Pakistanis are allergic to B.S tht indian media recks off.

Amid news of banning Indian entertainment channels, TV soaps and films in the country, Pakistan government is said to be making constant efforts for keeping Indian media out of its country.

For the purpose, the government of Pakistan is setting up new laws and guidelines for elimination of Indian media. It is also making laws strict for reporting in Pakistan.

A law named Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Bill is due for consideration in the assembly, which has the provisions of banning electronic media from the reporting, coverage and telecast of any defamatory content against government and also from covering terrorist attacks in the Pakistani territory.

The information has been learnt from major English daily of Pakistan, The Dawn. The newspaper has reported about a meeting presided by Information Secretary Mansoor Sohail for the discussion of future guidelines for electronic and print media regarding the same. The media has been labeled with topic 'Media Co-ordination Committee on Defence Planning'. The committee will suggest measures for dilution and ultimate elimination of Indian media infiltration in the country.:confused::confused:

The real version of this story has been posted earlier in the forum and debated. This is a twisted version, tailored to suit audience in India, which i would call misinformation.

The real law focuses more on the coverage of terror related incidents in Pakistan, which in itself is not new, since major channles have devised a code of conduct. The government is only giving that code of conduct a formal shape of bill to include some channles which do not abide by these self-imposed regulations.

See Story:

Proposal stirs fears of Pakistani media censorship

By MUNIR AHMED and NAHAL TOOSI (AP) – 2 days ago

ISLAMABAD — A government-backed proposal to limit Pakistani broadcasters' terrorism coverage and criticism of the state is causing concern among journalists who fear it will stifle the country's feisty, flourishing media.

A plethora of TV news networks have set up in recent years. Intensely competitive, they have not shied away from covering grisly aftermaths of suicide bombings, stories of government corruption, or allowing their talk show hosts to pontificate on air. That has fueled friction with some politicians, who say much of what is broadcast is exaggerated, false or irresponsible.

The regulations would curb certain types of images and reporting by broadcast outlets, including showing mutilated bodies or interviews with militant leaders. A copy of the proposal also includes a vague admonition against broadcasting "anything defamatory against the organs of the State."

Violators could be punished by fines of up to 10 million rupees ($117,000) or prison terms up to three years.

The proposal has been vetted by a parliamentary committee and is expected to reach the full National Assembly later this summer.

"For us this is not a freedom of media issue. This is really more about responsibility, because it's creating depression among the people of Pakistan," said Farahnaz Ispahani, a committee member from the ruling party. "No civilized society, no civilized country in the world glorifies extremists and terrorists. Pakistan's electronic media has not come up with their own code of conduct in this regard."

It is uncommon for democratic countries to legislate sweeping bans on what the media can cover when it comes to terrorism, although Iraq has imposed vague rules that prohibit broadcast reports that cause "incitement of sectarianism," said Joel Simon, executive director of the U.S.-based Committee to Protect Journalists.

Simon criticized the proposed Pakistani regulations, saying they "would have a devastating impact on ... some of the most basic and essential coverage of events that are part of the news in Pakistan."

Vincent Brossel, Asia director for the Paris-based Reporters Without Borders, said any regulation should more appropriately come from the media itself.

Top managers from Pakistan's eight TV news channels agreed among themselves last year to standardize professional guidelines governing terrorism coverage. They decided they would desist from showing graphic and disturbing images on the screen and at times use a delay mechanism that would enable channels to edit out undesirable footage.

But that decision did not deter the parliamentary committee from seeking official regulations.

Ispahani, the committee member, declined to elaborate on the clause regarding the "organs of the state," only saying it was "the product of a multiparty committee." Other committee members could not immediately be reached for comment Thursday.

ASAP do it they are the one who make both nation hostile more then any other.kick them out and never let pak ppl watch there BS propegenda news. ban them until they never come on right path of true news reporting

is pakistani channels are also banned in india? can any one confirm this

regards

Out of curiosity, how many Pakistani channels are available on your standard cable packages in India?

I've used two cable providers and one sat provider in Pakistan and I get probably 20-30 indian channels, 60+ Pakistani channels (I've lost count) along with the Russian, Chinese, German, US and British fare.

Just to put this news item in context, I am wondering if Indian cable providers have ever carried Pakistani news and current affairs channels in their lineup?

Not a single Pakistani Channel is banned in India, all the Pakistani channels are freely available.

But reality is that no one watches them in India.

All pakistani channels available in India but no one watches them though

Well, here is Reliance TV's lineup:

http://www.bigtv.co.in/Entry Offer_24.5.10.pdf

Not a single Pakistani channel. Hmm. So this complaining about Indian media being "banned" in Pakistan is just another exercise in hypocrisy, it appears.

Apnay giraybaan mein jhaanko.

I agree with you . All Indian media and all bollywood stuff should be banned in Pakistan until India lifts the ban.

I believe atleast the entertainement channels should be lifted from the banning list . We have french , chinese and russian channels here and i am sure that more people will be following urdu than Chinese, french or russian here.

Well, here is Reliance TV's lineup:

http://www.bigtv.co.in/Entry Offer_24.5.10.pdf

Not a single Pakistani channel. Hmm. So this complaining about Indian media being "banned" in Pakistan is just another exercise in hypocrisy, it appears.

Apnay giraybaan mein jhaanko.

sir,

We don't promote pakistani channels as you have given Reliance list, why should Reliance offer from its own when there is no demand.

1, The question asked by you, are pakistani channels are banned in India??

Answer = NO, they are not banned in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom