What's new

PAK-FA/T-50 flameout embarrasses Sukhoi

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
PAK-FA/T-50 flameout embarrasses Sukhoi

Russia's MAKS 2011 air show closed with an embarrassment for Sukhoi, when the pilot of its second prototype PAK-FA/T-50 was forced to abort a take-off run after two bursts of flame erupted from the fifth-generation fighter's starboard engine.

The incident happened in front of about 200,000 visitors, who had gathered at Ramenskoye air base near Moscow on 21 August to watch a flying display.

getAsset.aspx

Also referred to as T-50-2, or Side 52, the aircraft was forced to stop from a speed of around 100km/h, with Sukhoi test pilot Sergei Bogdan using wheel brakes and also deploying a brake parachute.

It stopped well short of the aerodrome fence, thanks to the 5,000m (16,400ft) length of the runway.

Sukhoi said the aircraft had suffered a technical malfunction but no damage, and that its pilot had acted "in accordance with manuals".

The company later attributed the issue to a "malfunctioning fuel supply system" and to the NPO Saturn Item 117 engine's full-authority digital engine control system.

To further Sukhoi's embarrassment, immediately after the incident the show's organisers promised the public that the first PAK-FA prototype would fly instead. This failed to happen, with the aircraft believed to have been sent for maintenance shortly after performing in front of Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin on 17 August.

PICTURE: PAK-FA flameout embarrasses Sukhoi

not good advertisment then
btw one of airbus planes went straight into trees and crashed on its first ever airshow appearance.....T-50 done better than that
A public failure is always embarassing. But a technical glitch is acceptable as compared to a crash as you pointed out. It's still a prototype. These things are expected and that's why there were safety procedures to be followed as followed by the pilot.

Well Aircraft is still 4-5 yrs away from production , I am sure that Sukhoi will solve all problems before its delivery to RuAF and IAF

Russian is getting inpatient or desperate to showcase their 5th-gen fighter. It's one thing for the engine to misfire during testing and trial fly, which is part of the testing process. It's another during public demonstration in an airshow. It shows the Russians were cutting corners under pressure to rush the project. It doesn't sound good for fighter development.

Looks like F-22 doesn't need to "move over" for T-50. T-50 will have trouble moving forward.

indians please yaar apna ghusa hum per na nikalo .i really don't think ISI put patrol bomb in engine before takeoff lolz

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Criticism is not trolling. Your reply sounds just like sour grape.

he feel sukhui heat there in in computer lab lolz heheheheh

Criticism is not trolling. Your reply sounds just like sour grape.
I was referring to fast and his posts throughout the forum. Follow him around and you'll know what I am talking about.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

indians please yaar apna ghusa hum per na nikalo .i really don't think ISI put patrol bomb in engine before takeoff lolz

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

he feel sukhui heat there in in computer lab lolz heheheheh
Really? That's the best you can come up with? Atleast I had some content related to the thread.You care to comment on those?

Russian is getting inpatient or desperate to showcase their 5th-gen fighter. It's one thing for the engine to misfire during testing and trial fly, which is part of the testing process. It's another during public demonstration in an airshow. It shows the Russians were cutting corners under pressure to rush the project. It doesn't sound good for fighter development.

Looks like F-22 doesn't need to "move over" for T-50. T-50 will have trouble moving forward.

You are ignored...

img_2917.jpg

The following picture in the Indian Ocean aboard USS Nimitz (CVN-68) on Oct. 19, 2009. An F-18C (BuNo 165205 Modex 405) belonging to the VFA-86 “Sidewinders” experiences a compressor stall during the catapult launch from CAT number 4. The aircraft is fully loaded with fuel and weapons, and it is taking off to perform an on-call CAS in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.

Fortunately, the aircraft took off in spite of the loud bang and flames coming out from the port engine exhaust that in the second image seems to be operating without the afterburner.

The compressor surge is a particular kind of compressor stall that occurs when the hot vapour generated by the aircraft carrier’s catapult is ingested by the aircraft air intake thus creating a breakdown in compression resulting in a the compressor’s inability to absorb the momentary disturbance and to continue pushing the air against the already-compressed air behind it. As a consequence, there’s a momentary reversal of air flow and a violent expulsion of previously compressed air out through the engine intake producing some loud bangs from the engine and “back fires”.

The compressor will usually recover to normal flow once the engine pressure ratio reduces to a level at which the compressor is capable of sustaining stable airflow. Some engines have automatic recover functions even if pilots experiencing the surge can be compelled to act on the throttle or, in some cases, relight the engine.

Compressor surges are frequent on U.S. aircraft carriers. Unlike the T-50, that could precautionally abort its take off, carrier air wing airplanes can’t stop their run once it’s started. Fortunately, F-18s are used to take off even if an engine is temporarily unserviceable: this shows once again how rusty Legacy Hornet are sometime tougher than some 4+ or 5th generation “colleagues”.

I don’t know if a PAK-FA would be able to take off after experiencing a compressor surge aboard an aircraft carrier but I know for sure the F-35C (that, along with the other variants has returned to fly last week, after being grounded for an IPP failure on Aug. 3) won’t: it’s an easy-to-fly, single-pilot, 5th generation fighter jet. With a single engine.

Back
Top Bottom