What's new

Pak-Army Toyotas and other Pickup Trucks are not useless after all.

Anyone have info on what happened to our domestic MRAPS...
To be fair currently the part of our forces which need MRAPS are fc ,they may have bullet proof vehicles but those are really not adequate.
40-50 additional would be enough for the FC in Balochistan. Plus an additional equipment ,training and restructuring would help plenty with Baluchistan

To be fair currently the part of our forces which need MRAPS are fc ,they may have bullet proof vehicles but those are really not adequate.
40-50 additional would be enough for the FC in Balochistan. Plus an additional equipment ,training and restructuring would help plenty with Baluchistan

never saw them in Swat.many precious lives were lost just because of this cause

This forum barely has any experts. Only a few that actually have sources behind them. Mostly just people giving opinions on things they don’t understand because they want them to be ideal (like people saying we should Buy F-22 raptors instead of F-16s)
PA has plenty Of MRAPS, enough for use in Operational areas, I’ve seen them deployed in Waziristan and even in SWAT around 2016 after all the operations there had ended. They were Used when needed, and there is no fuel shortage regarding them because we don’t need a fleet of thousands, only a few hundred. I don’t know how you came to that conclusion.

The reason many videos, pictures and incidents don’t show them anywhere is because they came pretty late, and you can’t just get something and put it right into action, you need to train the men to use and tell them how it works before it can be sent in and used effectively. Especially the JERV type MRAPS.
If Pakistan had them as early as 2009 they would definitely have been pushed into more active service. The loss of life isn’t worth the money in petrol for the PA. Because a dozen soldiers take a lot of time and money to train. And that is taken into account. That’s why soldiers aren’t expendable unlike Hollywood makes it seem. As casualties to IEDs increased PA also adopted other methods of removing and detecting them, they learned with time. An OP that would have been conducted in 2016 would Use MRAPS with jammers and the whole place would be checked for IEDs before advancing. A similar one in 2007 would start with a vehicle getting blown up by an IED.

Wikipedia is a terrible source. It’s hard to pinpoint the number of MRAPS in Pakistani service, but SIPRI trade records would be your best bet, and The last time I checked (albeit it’s been quite a while). They numbered 100+.
So yes, we definitely have enough for patrols up there, but they came In pretty late.
Baluchistan maybe the place where they get to see good use now. But there’s not many patrols there, just operations when they receive a tip off or spot activity and such.

What’s that supposed to mean? I simply stated that we had to use these things as transports back when WoT started because we had no other options and couldn’t buy anything else. We used Trucks and hiluxs. what single ounce of BS is present in that factual sentence?

MRAPS are not normal transport meant to be used all the time, only in a forward patrol or an OP in an Hot area like 2009 swat or 2014 waziristan was, and yeah back then we didn’t have enough or any of these. Now the fighting there is finished, IEDs are removed, so of course they’ll use the Hiluxs. And for normal transport around cantonments and cities. They’re still the most cost effective option. Even the US army uses Humvees for normal transport, and No, Humvees have no additional armor at all unless bolted on. They are as unprotected from IEDS as a hilux, that’s why the USA got MRAPS in the first place.
There is a decent number of Dragoon and Mohafiz vehicles used by our military for patrolling (They’re widely used around Rawalpindi and HIT near taxila, plus other cantonments, but these are what I get to see, I suppose the Dragoons came too late to be used in WoT). And PA does seem to have an interest in more wheeled APCs and Armored transports, but you know how slow our military is with new inductions due to cost and availability.
In short; for normal usage. These are the most cost effective and can’t be put out of service, they’re essential.
And to answer your earlier question, Its stated above by another member that around 2013-14 Pakistan Had about 50 MRAPS delivered,I think that’s correct because the reference is SIPRI, but it takes time to train soldiers on it, can’t directly be sent into combat.
It’s not 2014 anymore and Pakistan has more, SIPRI trade records should show a more believable figured (I don’t believe it’s 360 like Wikipedia says, maybe a hundred something)
The USA didn’t deliver them as soon as Pakistan wanted, it took quite some time.

Also an interesting thing, I don’t know if many of you remember, but Pakistan also designed its own MRAP back in the day before it got some from the USA. It was named Burraq. Search it up, you’ll find some pictures and info on it. Quite interesting.

The tactics have been used in the world to improve survivability of pick ups/ jeeps in the past even I read somewhere that our military used some tactics in 1971 war, my reply was just to make point that even pick ups can be made useful.

Here is picture LE Agencies rolling with Armored Vehicle. Can't identify it.

Thats what I'm saying my main man..
Yep, I was agreeing with you, I’m not that used to this forum so my replies to certain comments might be in the wrong place, sorry about that.

never saw them in Swat.many precious lives were lost just because of this cause

We didn’t have them back when the Swat op started, we started getting them Around 2013-2014. Please read up before commenting.

It is said that 22 Caspirs came in crica 2013,never heared it more than that.
Navistar Defense LLC, Lisle, Illinois, was awarded a $35,077,157 firm-fixed-price, foreign military sales contract (Pakistan) for the procurement of 40 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) MaxxPro Dash DXM foreign military sales vehicles, various support items, and contractor logistics and technical support services. Bids were solicited via the Internet with one received. Work will be performed in West Point, Mississippi; and Pakistan, with an estimated completion date of Oct. 31, 2018. Fiscal 2010 other funds in the amount of $35,077,157 were obligated at the time of the award. Army Contracting Command – Tank and Automotive, Warren, Michigan, is the contracting activity (W56HZV-17-C-0038).
https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/1086534/
View attachment 619322 View attachment 619323 View attachment 619324
View attachment 619325
SIPRI 2016 Data shows that Pakistan Army has took possession of 230 MaxxPro MRAPs.
A safe assessment can be made that,Pakistan has got almost around 300 of these MRAP's of all kinds but here is question?
We havn't seen any in operational usage,so where are they?

P.S:-I have seen a type which isn't listed anywhere.

You answered your own question, we received the first batch, very small numbers, back in 2013-2014 as you said. The forces needed to be trained on them first and the numbers weren’t that great. The Swat Op was in 2009. Couldn’t have been used back there. Zarb-e-azb started in 2014. MRAPS were used in the ending stages of that OP, but the start of it was where most of the Casualties to IEDs were, and at that time we didn’t have many of these.
After 2016 there weren’t any active war-zones and these were in fact used in OPs and raids after that as pictures suggest.(as the SIPRI report of 2016 suggests, we got over 230 of them, I hadn’t checked it that recently so I said we’d have a hundred something, which would be true for around 2015, which is when I visited swat and saw them deployed there too).
The timeline checks out, we have hundreds of them now, but the majority of them came after most major operations had ended. Kind of sad, but that’s how it is.
As for where are they now; A few are deployed in Baluchistan and a few in Former FATA. Most are in storage as there isn’t any use for them at the moment. That’s how it’s been since 2016. When there’s a use, they will be deployed once more.
Keep in mind they can’t be used for normal transport here and there. It’s not what they’re meant for.
The tactics have been used in the world to improve survivability of pick ups/ jeeps in the past even I read somewhere that our military used some tactics in 1971 war, my reply was just to make point that even pick ups can be made useful.
That is true, I didn’t understand that from your first comment, my bad.
HIT did have a bulletproof Land Rover defender listen under its products at one time, I remember seeing info cards and such about it. It was basically a Land Rover fitted with add on armor and such. But I suppose doing that to so many pickups would be pretty damn expensive, especially back in 2007-2009 when the military barely had any money. Now maybe it’s feasible.

The one MRAP project we had back in the day was the Burraq MRAP, there were actually prototypes made of it and you can find pictures of it online, but it never got to completion. Getting them from USA was the easier and faster option as they were needed ASAP, sadly they still got to us too late.
The FC does use them in Baluchistan. But they’re not exactly meant for normal transport. Especially when IEDS aren’t a threat anymore. Bulletproof cars like Mohafiz and Dragoons are better for that purpose.
As for the retraining and restructure, that’s exactly what the FC has undergone in the last decade, especially in KPK, Baluchistan Will hopefully follow suit.

Yep, I was agreeing with you, I’m not that used to this forum so my replies to certain comments might be in the wrong place, sorry about that.

We didn’t have them back when the Swat op started, we started getting them Around 2013-2014. Please read up before commenting.

You answered your own question, we received the first batch, very small numbers, back in 2013-2014 as you said. The forces needed to be trained on them first and the numbers weren’t that great. The Swat Op was in 2009. Couldn’t have been used back there. Zarb-e-azb started in 2014. MRAPS were used in the ending stages of that OP, but the start of it was where most of the Casualties to IEDs were, and at that time we didn’t have many of these.
After 2016 there weren’t any active war-zones and these were in fact used in OPs and raids after that as pictures suggest.(as the SIPRI report of 2016 suggests, we got over 230 of them, I hadn’t checked it that recently so I said we’d have a hundred something, which would be true for around 2015, which is when I visited swat and saw them deployed there too).
The timeline checks out, we have hundreds of them now, but the majority of them came after most major operations had ended. Kind of sad, but that’s how it is.
As for where are they now; A few are deployed in Baluchistan and a few in Former FATA. Most are in storage as there isn’t any use for them at the moment. That’s how it’s been since 2016. When there’s a use, they will be deployed once more.
Keep in mind they can’t be used for normal transport here and there. It’s not what they’re meant for.

That is true, I didn’t understand that from your first comment, my bad.
HIT did have a bulletproof Land Rover defender listen under its products at one time, I remember seeing info cards and such about it. It was basically a Land Rover fitted with add on armor and such. But I suppose doing that to so many pickups would be pretty damn expensive, especially back in 2007-2009 when the military barely had any money. Now maybe it’s feasible.

The one MRAP project we had back in the day was the Burraq MRAP, there were actually prototypes made of it and you can find pictures of it online, but it never got to completion. Getting them from USA was the easier and faster option as they were needed ASAP, sadly they still got to us too late.
The FC does use them in Baluchistan. But they’re not exactly meant for normal transport. Especially when IEDS aren’t a threat anymore. Bulletproof cars like Mohafiz and Dragoons are better for that purpose.
As for the retraining and restructure, that’s exactly what the FC has undergone in the last decade, especially in KPK, Baluchistan Will hopefully follow suit.

Thks for understanding my point.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom