What's new

PAFs interceptor fighter

BVR_33

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi
I am a new member and it is quite possible that my question has already been discussed earlier. Please guide me to the link if it actually was.

As per my knowledge, Chengdu F7 has been doing the role of an interceptor in PAF. After Mumbai Attack drama, the same jet performed CAPs and intercepted Indian jets. As a result of the last year's LoC violations, the situation became tense and both Pakistan & India conducted CAP missions. My question is why Pakistan does not use Mirage IIIs as interceptors? Why does not Pakistan modify the latest JF-17s as an interceptor and deploy to forward bases? I know that both Chengdu F7 and Mirage III are faster than JF-17 but the later does have BVR capability and advance radar/avionics. May be that is why a squadron of modern JF-17s has been put to defend our western borders where we may face FA-18s & F-35s of USAF.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

Hi
I am a new member and it is quite possible that my question has already been discussed earlier. Please guide me to the link if it actually was.

As per my knowledge, Chengdu F7 has been doing the role of an interceptor in PAF. After Mumbai Attack drama, the same jet performed CAPs and intercepted Indian jets. As a result of the last year's LoC violations, the situation became tense and both Pakistan & India conducted CAP missions. My question is why Pakistan does not use Mirage IIIs as interceptors? Why does not Pakistan modify the latest JF-17s as an interceptor and deploy to forward bases? I know that both Chengdu F7 and Mirage III are faster than JF-17 but the later does have BVR capability and advance radar/avionics. May be that is why a squadron of modern JF-17s has been put to defend our western borders where we may face FA-18s & F-35s of USAF.

Hi , Welcome here .
Jf 17 is multi role fighter and as of now its gaurding aerial borders of pakistan so is F 16 .
Regarding ur Mirage 3 question well its role is different now and for air interception it will be last resort by Paf.

Mirage now is primarily in strategic strike role

Hi

Hi and welcome here,

We have F-16 and JF-17 along with F-7PGs to guard our border F-16 and JF-17 are multi role fighters and very well defending our borders. Mirage especially rose upgraded are meant to use deep penetration surgical strikes jets no need to put old jets to guard the borders.

The Mig 21 was, and is a very very efficient platform for air interceptor role.
This aircraft was designed to do only one role, and i.e intercept incoming boogies.

Hi

combination is used

F-7- Mirage - F-16 and now JF-17.

The term "interceptor" is a cold war term that is specifically meant for intercepting long range bombers...that is they are designed not as fighters but with long range missiles to shoot down multiple bombers. Both F-15 and F-14 were classic interceptors and also F-4E in the 3rd gen category. When you say "interceptor" you are probably referring to a fighter that can engage incoming fighter bombers...so the term interceptor is not really used but more fighter.
To answer your question: F7 and Mirage have no chance in engaging modern Indian fighters and bombers...it will probably be a combo of Mirage 2000 and Su-27s and maybe Jaguars ...Mirages and F7s will be taken out long before they even see the INdians...it is too risky. However, Mirages in combo with F-16s may have a chance to at least distract the incoming aircraft albeit we will face heavy losses.
F 7 PG 's are good in air combat due to there radar and there speed etc so yes they do have good chance however there draw back is that they are short ranged.

The term "interceptor" is a cold war term that is specifically meant for intercepting long range bombers...that is they are designed not as fighters but with long range missiles to shoot down multiple bombers. Both F-15 and F-14 were classic interceptors and also F-4E in the 3rd gen category. When you say "interceptor" you are probably referring to a fighter that can engage incoming fighter bombers...so the term interceptor is not really used but more fighter.
To answer your question: F7 and Mirage have no chance in engaging modern Indian fighters and bombers...it will probably be a combo of Mirage 2000 and Su-27s and maybe Jaguars ...Mirages and F7s will be taken out long before they even see the INdians...it is too risky. However, Mirages in combo with F-16s may have a chance to at least distract the incoming aircraft albeit we will face heavy losses.

incoming aircraft when intercepted is usually a peaceful time event not full on assault, visual interception is required, the close proximity means that f-7s will be in game of WVR interception very quickly, it takes minutes for an IAF aircraft to enter and become WVR of pakistani fighters/bases. the identification and tracking of boggies is not the sole role of interceptor it gets data from outside, old migs 19 didnt even had a radar

anyway its the thunder these days for ADA role, f-7s are all retired and PG will go soon( in 5 years)
mirages will be kept for strategic strike role

images

Seems logical and ok platform for Simple Intercept role

There are two key performance data about intercepters: climb rate and speed.

MirageIII climbs a bit too slow when they are ready to fire their missiles, your enemies just already dropped their bomb and gone home. F-16 is good intercepter, but too expensive to deploy in forward.

Back
Top Bottom