What's new

PAF successfully test-fires indigenously developed long-range smart weapon from JF-17 Thunder

I dont ever remember Pak showing a test video where it hid the weapon itself. Has this happened before? From Raad to Babur to the ballistic missiles - I dont ever remember this happening before. And damn!!!!! That's the kind of blast I hoped to see when Nasr was tested :wub:
Yes, happened first time. It is something big i think, probably came from north east.

Some observations:
  • At AAD 2014, penetration warhead was listed as an option for Denel Raptor III.
  • The Raptor II, designated H-4 by Pakistan, was not integrated to the JF-17 reportedly due to size constraints.
  • REK appears to be Pakistani designation of Chinese FT-6 and not an indigenously developed product. Pakistan's R&D in this field is non-existent.
  • So, two possibilities are there: (i) Denel Raptor III, and (ii) a Chinese KEP design.

Some observations:
  • At AAD 2014, penetration warhead was listed as an option for Denel Raptor III.
  • The Raptor II, designated H-4 by Pakistan, was not integrated to the JF-17 reportedly due to size constraints.
  • REK appears to be Pakistani designation of Chinese FT-6 and not an indigenously developed product. Pakistan's R&D in this field is non-existent.
  • So, two possibilities are there: (i) Denel Raptor III, and (ii) a Chinese KEP design.

The weapon was 100% indegnious. So neither Raptor nor KEP.
Look at the blast it expands in a ring means the blast is more focused on high pressure shock wave. Seems like some sort of bunker buster.

It seems a different breed.

looks like a extended range upgraded version of Takbir smart Bomb

Pakistani+GIDS+TAKBIR+Series+Satellite+Aided+Inertially+Guided+Bomb+Family+Joint+Direct+Attack+Munition+Extended+Range+(JDAM-ER.jpg

1010318_10152069978507663_1765590468_n.jpg

GIDS REK is an old thing.
It was integrated with JFT 1 or 2 years back, you can easily find its news.
This image is from initial tests and even its test video was playing in IDEAS 2018.
Therefore it can't be REK.

Its something else and huge.

Hi If you are referring to the following news shared on the forum in March 2017 for REK on JF17.

The munition in question appears to be the Range Extension Kit (REK), which is produced and marketed by Global Industrial & Defence Solutions (GIDS).

The REK is a kit for converting MK-80-series general purpose bombs (GPB) into satellite-aided inertial navigation system (GPS/INS)-guided bombs. In addition to the guidance unit, the REK is comprised of a tail-unit with aerodynamic control surfaces and glide wings. As per GIDS, the REK has a range of 50-60 km and accuracy of less than 20 metres circular error probable (CEP).

The GIDS REK is analogous to the U.S. Joint Direct Attack Munition Extended Range (JDAM-ER) and Turkish Tübitak Sage Wing Assisted Guidance Kit (KGK). The PAF’s JF-17s will utilize the GIDS REK to target fixed installations at long-range and, if need be, under adverse weather conditions.

The PAF JF-17 is also equipped with the China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC) C-802A anti-ship missile (AShM). The C-802A AShM has a range of 180 km. Besides the REK and C-802A, the PAF stand-off range weapon arsenal also comprises of the Mectron MAR-1 anti-radiation missile, H-2 and H-4 glide bombs (i.e. Denel Dynamics Raptor-I/II), and Ra’ad air-launched cruise missile (ALCM). It is not known if and/or when these munitions will be integrated onto the JF-17 platform.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paki...-with-stand-off-range-weapon-gids-rek.483318/

The above range is only 50-60 Km. It cannot be termed as Long Range Air to Ground Missile.
Therefore, I think it is a different kind of weapon, FEA is my thinking.

Here is my theory. (It is just theory because I have NO INSIDE knowledge)

1. It is bomb or missile? Not sure, but whatever it is, it is smart means it can identify target and able to adjust flight path accordingly.
2. Blast and shockwave are very intense and horizontal in dispersion. Means it is a weapon for creating shock and awe in the battlefield.
3. Post blast frame in video. Did anyone notice something unusual? Why there are so many tires lying around and that too in a very peculiar manner (in straight Lines). Now I think, tire is something which is hard enough not to be vaporized due to that massive explosion and soft enough to show the impact of "Heat" caused by blast. Hence, giving a pretty accurate assessment of damage to the designer of the weapons to study the impact and improve. (Otherwise I cannot think of any other reason why tires were put there). This also support to my earlier point about this being a shock-and-awe weapon system.
4. If you concentrate on video, the blast has extended timing as if some kind of fuel inside is kept burning even after the first blast and massive shockwave. (again a battlefield weapon)
5. Indian Cold Start idea is based on smaller (Div sized) integrated battle groups (IBGs) making rapid incursion into mainland Pakistan, now consider that scenario and Pak replying by using this weapon.

All the counter arguments are welcomed :)

Told you the world is fed up of indo pak MAD threats

The weapon was 100% indegnious. So neither Raptor nor KEP.
Look at the blast it expands in a ring means the blast is more focused on high pressure shock wave. Seems like some sort of bunker buster.

It seems a different breed.

'Indigenous' has a different meaning with Pak military. We have seen these claims with Zarb (C-602), REK (FT-6), Anza Mk II (QW-1) and many other weapon systems.

The crater formed/blast impact may also be possible with Raptor III with a penetration warhead.

What would be this missile's impact if it explodes on top of an aircraft carrier?

Back
Top Bottom