What's new

PAF quickly put bases on high alert.

He told the commission that on learning about the OBL operation, PAF immediately took adequate operational measures as per standard operating procedures (SOPs). PAF aircraft continued their presence in Abbottabad area till early morning.
What 'operational' measures? What was the use of the PAF 'presence' in Abbottabad till early morning if the Seals managed to pluck Osama from under their very noses?

Too little too late. Period!

Assalam alaikum

Santro, brother agree with wat wrote and i dont think i called for a war with u.s. U.S sanctioned us after 65, left us after soviet escaped from afghanistan and to add more pressure cut military ties with us after it ( sanctions again). Again when they needed us in 2001 we obeyed them their kid killed 2 of us in bazar and then go out. Everyday drone attacks against the will of ppl of pakistan. Ten years ago we didnot have this internal mess that we face now ( so i blame them ). since we can't fight the u.s should lie down and then wait for u.s to expand the drone attacks to lahore karachi islamabad etc.

TARIQ

Sir,

We already had the mess in our backyard----only that the fire had not reached our abode---9/11 just expedited the process.

U S sanctioned us because we played games with it----we have to be utterly stupid to be sanctioned 8 times in 64 years-----I mean to say our grandfathers got sanctioned---then our fathers got sanctioned multiple times---and then to top it all of----we got sanctioned too---and then our children got sanctioned as well-----.

What are we---the stupidest of all of the civilization on the face of this planet ever born or existed----is this our destiny---to be the dumbest of all the criminals on face of this earth----does our stupidity have no limits-----that we keep on bragging about the sanctions without having any clue why we are getting there in the very first place----.

Is this the intellect of my children---is this the future of my country----is this destiny.

Sir,

We already had the mess in our backyard----only that the fire had not reached our abode---9/11 just expedited the process.

U S sanctioned us because we played games with it----we have to be utterly stupid to be sanctioned 8 times in 64 years-----I mean to say our grandfathers got sanctioned---then our fathers got sanctioned multiple times---and then to top it all of----we got sanctioned too---and then our children got sanctioned as well-----.

What are we---the stupidest of all of the civilization on the face of this planet ever born or existed----is this our destiny---to be the dumbest of all the criminals on face of this earth----does our stupidity have no limits-----that we keep on bragging about the sanctions without having any clue why we are getting there in the very first place----.

Is this the intellect of my children---is this the future of my country----is this destiny.

Perhaps there are conditions that push us to sanctions..
The problem is not the sanctions.. the problem is the idiocy of our leadership that gets into relationships that come with a hundred clauses.
We step into relationship's stating we are your humble friend and servant... and then display ambitions way beyond that.
If you getting into a business partnership.. you settle on terms.. our leaders settled on 20/80.. the 20 for us.
you dont decide to use those business contacts to start a side operation to increase your share... when it violates the clause.

You are criminal for violating the clause.. but you are criminally idiotic to sign on those clauses in the first place.

They may have been on high alert.. but the morale of a majority of pilots in those bases was rock bottom.
Even today.. knowing that they just sat there.. or rather their leadership had them sit there whilst the airspace they swore to defend with their lives was torn open.. hit em hard.

be practical, there was no point engaging in fight.

Perhaps there are conditions that push us to sanctions..
The problem is not the sanctions.. the problem is the idiocy of our leadership that gets into relationships that come with a hundred clauses.
We step into relationship's stating we are your humble friend and servant... and then display ambitions way beyond that.
If you getting into a business partnership.. you settle on terms.. our leaders settled on 20/80.. the 20 for us.
you dont decide to use those business contacts to start a side operation to increase your share... when it violates the clause.

You are criminal for violating the clause.. but you are criminally idiotic to sign on those clauses in the first place.

Ever wondered why was there a necessity of such partnership??
Many other countries got Independent and were far weaker than your state......but still they managed to prosper.....and continue to prosper.........If a contract is signed with devil......what do you expect other than hell coming your way.

And still they don't learn.......sad isn't it.

Ever wondered why was there a necessity of such partnership??
Many other countries got Independent and were far weaker than your state......but still they managed to prosper.....and continue to prosper.........If a contract is signed with devil......what do you expect other than hell coming your way.

And still they don't learn.......sad isn't it.

The reason is Kashmir...

This "secret codes" thing will never die.

As someone kindly pointed out, the British has at least one ship slammed by an Exocet after the "secret codes" were supposedly delivered.

Secret Codes is newspaper-speak for classified weaknesses; it is a lot easier for naive journalists to say secret codes, as if all you need is a radio that transmits some digital burst, and back-door software in the missile receives this and says "Guess I'll shut down now." It does not work that way.

The world arms industry is probably trillions of $$. If a nation inserted magic codes into its weapons, all it would take is ONE instance, and that nation would forever lose all of its business, as no one is going to buy a weapon that can be turned off.

Weapons are designed to be extremely robust and as immune as possible to external influences.

So the French didn't say this - "Transmit 'XYZ12345' on 212.25 MHz and the missile will turn off." More likely they said "The exocet is vulnerable to the following decoys and defenses..."

Do people really think a missile as simple (and it really is quite simple) as an AIM-9L has a miniature radio receiver in it? It has a quartz IR window, and the proximity fuse uses a laser. There is no RF (radio frequency) anywhere in it, and nations who own them can take them apart and identify every single component. No radios. You point an AIM-9 at a heat source, it'll guide and explode.

The reason is Kashmir...

The start of it perhaps..
but eventually its just strongmen wanting to hold on to their power that kept it going.

In any case.. a talk for someplace else.

This "secret codes" thing will never die.

As someone kindly pointed out, the British has at least one ship slammed by an Exocet after the "secret codes" were supposedly delivered.

Secret Codes is newspaper-speak for classified weaknesses; it is a lot easier for naive journalists to say secret codes, as if all you need is a radio that transmits some digital burst, and back-door software in the missile receives this and says "Guess I'll shut down now." It does not work that way.

The world arms industry is probably trillions of $$. If a nation inserted magic codes into its weapons, all it would take is ONE instance, and that nation would forever lose all of its business, as no one is going to buy a weapon that can be turned off.

Weapons are designed to be extremely robust and as immune as possible to external influences.

So the French didn't say this - "Transmit 'XYZ12345' on 212.25 MHz and the missile will turn off." More likely they said "The exocet is vulnerable to the following decoys and defenses..."

Do people really think a missile as simple (and it really is quite simple) as an AIM-9L has a miniature radio receiver in it? It has a quartz IR window, and the proximity fuse uses a laser. There is no RF (radio frequency) anywhere in it, and nations who own them can take them apart and identify every single component. No radios. You point an AIM-9 at a heat source, it'll guide and explode.

Chogy: You may find this article of interest that I posted in full elsewhere on PDF:

High-tech warfare: Something wrong with our **** chips today | The Economist

(I can repost the full text here if the article is not accessible.)

VCheng, it's an interesting article, but there is a lot of "it's possible" and "maybe" in there, and the main thrust of the article was exploitation, rather than software easter eggs or back doors. Like bin Laden and his cell phones. The phones weren't specially prepared to transmit "here I am" signals. Instead, the normal signals were exploited.

Exploitation vs. Sabotage - very different.

The color printers didn't transmit signals, they printed stuff on paper. This has been known for a while.

Is your printer spying on you?

Sleuths Crack Tracking Code Discovered in Color Printers

These identify the SN of the printer based upon the printer's product. IIRC it all started as an anti-counterfeit measure. Again, the Iraqi maps were exploited, not booby trapped, and they didn't actually transmit an RF signal. Somehow, the maps got into allied hands, the SN of the printer determined, and perhaps the original delivery address was then bombed. I don't know exactly.

But googling

Iraq color printer transmitter location

and various other permutations doesn't support the Economist article. It's much sexier to imagine the printers transmitting "here I am!" rather than chalking the effort up to good sleuthing work.

In simple terms, if something transmits anything more than a mW or two from unintentional local oscillation, it is child's play to determine this with a $50 RF field strength meter that anyone can buy.

Fair points Chogy, but The Economist has impeccable sources and the rest of the article, particularly the last paragraph, was more interesting I thought. The color photocopiers angle was just a segue.

With the sheer volume of armaments sold... with the implacable curiosity of the States that use these weapons... nothing has ever been found. I think the economic angle is the most powerful argument. All it would take is one single example to utterly destroy a multi-billion $$ market.

As long as the technology is more advanced than the means and instruments available to the buying countries to placate their curiosity, it is eminently workable.

We can agree to disagree on this one Chogy, if you like. :D

Back
Top Bottom