What's new

PAF/PA Helicopters

MZUBAIR

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We have seen Pakistan have "Mi-17 transport helicopters" at Munawa Police Training School operation.
Pakistan also have 26 Bell 412's helicopters.

Almost 20(not sure the exact number) AH-64 Apache helicopters in PAF but I heared that these are not Pakistani property, PAF is projected miltary operator for AH-64 Apache.

I dont know any other repuatble helicopter in PAF/PA.

Gen Kiyani requested USA to provide them Apache helicopters in his last visit
Nither I heard that Pakistan is procuring any helicopter.

Looking Pakistan geographical area (especially for NWFP and Blochistan), I say Pakistan must have 100 to 200 Helicopters.

I need your comments?

Last edited:
Dont forget, Pakistan needed dozens of helicopter support for rescue on October 05Earthquake.

Pakistan Army's aviation wing is much more sophisticated than PAF's. And just for the record, PAF doesn't operate our major helicopter fleet. Pakistan army AVIATION does. That's an entirely different branch of Pakistan Army and NOT Pakistan AIR force.

Currently, PAF only operates Alouette III's and a few MI-17's for S&R missions. But in case of emergency, Pakistan army aviation is always there to respond.

I remember back in 1998, One of PAF's F-7P crashed near bahawalpur and my Father was on a refuelling status at the airbase in Bahawlpur at that time. And due to the unavailability of any rescue team, he had to lead the rescue mission on his SA-330 Puma. So yes, coordination between PAF and PAA is always there. Oh and the pilot ejected and was safely taken to a hospital after recovering him from the crash location.

As far as the 'Reputable' helicopters from AA are concerned, We have a pretty decent fleet for now. Bell-412's & UH-1H's for VIP/General transport and light troop transport along with relief operations and air support, SA/IAR-330 Puma's for Troop transport, Air support, VIP transport, and special operations, MI-17's for troop transport and relief operations, Eurocopter AS-350 Ecureuil's for VIP transport and high altitude missions, AH-1 F/S Cobra's for attack operations, Bell Jet-Rangers for reconnaissance and light relief operations, Alloutte III's for reconnaissance and general transport. We're in a process of upgrading our fleet but for now, I don't see a problem with the current one. It's doing it's job well enough but of course, we can use a couple of new birds.

We need to procure a decent amount of attack helicopters but our primary role for attack choppers have always been as TANK hunters instead of Taliban hunters. Since we're seeing an increase in man-based Anti-Tank weapons, the need for an attack helicopter is slowly on the verge of fading away. However, we'll still operate our attack choppers as Tank hunters in the future simply because AT air support from attack helicopters will remain indisputable. A couple of AH-64 apache's wouldn't hurt us but the price tag is way too much for those. We'd rather procure the twin engine AH-1J/W or AH-1Z Super Cobra's instead of going for the Apaches. Also because we've been working with the Cobra gunship for quite some time now and our recent upgrade of Baktar-shikan AT rockets on our Cobra's has given us a great amount of benefit and it will prove quite handy in the future. Better to get an effective, reasonably priced platform that we've already worked on then getting something completely new. I'm not saying we shouldn't, I'm saying that AH-1J/W suits us better.

In terms of transport helicopters, I don't see Pakistan Aviation grounding the MI-17 fleet anytime soon for the same reasons. We've worked with them for quite some time now (Including MI-8's) and they're cheap, reliable, and cost effective for their role in our army. They're also great for modifications and can be used as light attack helicopters for air support in times of war.

All in all, valid point about the upgrade of our fleet, but I can ASSURE you that there's a lot of planning going on in that sector for our future procurements. Sit tight, and watch how it'll all unfold ;)

Last edited:
Dont forget, Pakistan needed dozens of helicopter support for rescue on October 05Earthquake.

Yes we did, But thankfully, American Chinooks, UH-60 Blackhawks, and Australian Blackhawks were made available to us by coalition forces and we were able to successfully operate in the most terrible hit areas of the earthquake. See picture below.

ArmyHelicopterMI-1717.jpg

U.S Army Chinook's and Blackhawks at Qasim Base, Rawalpindi. Pakistan Army Aviation's MI-17 can be seen at the background.

Pakistan Army Aviation realized that they required a lot of S&R and relief operation helicopters after that incident and for that, We bought a LOT of MI-17's. Here's a couple of pictures of the new MI-17's that I took back in 2007 at Qasim Base, Rawalpindi.

01062007510.jpg

01062007509.jpg

01062007508.jpg

Last edited:
Almost 20(not sure the exact number) AH-64 Apache helicopters in PAF but I heared that these are not Pakistani property, PAF is projected miltary operator for AH-64 Apache

Oh and a humble request that please do a 'basic' search on the topic that you want to discuss before making a thread. If you have Internet, I bet you also have the facility of using Google. Just saying that so next time you don't come out sounding a bit too confused by saying that Pakistan Air Force operates AH-64 Apaches. :cheers:

Time is changing very fast and future of pakistan is on risk. Pakistan has lost its Geopolitical importance and focal point is shifting from pakistan to Iran, India and afghanistan. At moment we need heavy lift helicopters in large numbers + long range air defence systems and strong Air force indeed.

Time is changing very fast and future of pakistan is on risk. Pakistan has lost its Geopolitical importance and focal point is shifting from pakistan to Iran, India and afghanistan. At moment we need heavy lift helicopters in large numbers + long range air defence systems and strong Air force indeed.

its up to us to reverse this trend or perception!

Pakistan Army's aviation wing is much more sophisticated than PAF's. And just for the record, PAF doesn't operate our major helicopter fleet. Pakistan army AVIATION does. That's an entirely different branch of Pakistan Army and NOT Pakistan AIR force.

Currently, PAF only operates Alouette III's and a few MI-17's for S&R missions. But in case of emergency, Pakistan army aviation is always there to respond.

I remember back in 1998, One of PAF's F-7P crashed near bahawalpur and my Father was on a refuelling status at the airbase in Bahawlpur at that time. And due to the unavailability of any rescue team, he had to lead the rescue mission on his SA-330 Puma. So yes, coordination between PAF and PAA is always there. Oh and the pilot ejected and was safely taken to a hospital after recovering him from the crash location.

As far as the 'Reputable' helicopters from AA are concerned, We have a pretty decent fleet for now. Bell-412's & UH-1H's for VIP/General transport and light troop transport along with relief operations and air support, SA/IAR-330 Puma's for Troop transport, Air support, VIP transport, and special operations, MI-17's for troop transport and relief operations, Eurocopter AS-350 Ecureuil's for VIP transport and high altitude missions, AH-1 F/S Cobra's for attack operations, Bell Jet-Rangers for reconnaissance and light relief operations, Alloutte III's for reconnaissance and general transport. We're in a process of upgrading our fleet but for now, I don't see a problem with the current one. It's doing it's job well enough but of course, we can use a couple of new birds.

We need to procure a decent amount of attack helicopters but our primary role for attack choppers have always been as TANK hunters instead of Taliban hunters. Since we're seeing an increase in man-based Anti-Tank weapons, the need for an attack helicopter is slowly on the verge of fading away. However, we'll still operate our attack choppers as Tank hunters in the future simply because AT air support from attack helicopters will remain indisputable. A couple of AH-64 apache's wouldn't hurt us but the price tag is way too much for those. We'd rather procure the twin engine AH-1J/W or AH-1Z Super Cobra's instead of going for the Apaches. Also because we've been working with the Cobra gunship for quite some time now and our recent upgrade of Baktar-shikan AT rockets on our Cobra's has given us a great amount of benefit and it will prove quite handy in the future. Better to get an effective, reasonably priced platform that we've already worked on then getting something completely new. I'm not saying we shouldn't, I'm saying that AH-1J/W suits us better.

In terms of transport helicopters, I don't see Pakistan Aviation grounding the MI-17 fleet anytime soon for the same reasons. We've worked with them for quite some time now (Including MI-8's) and they're cheap, reliable, and cost effective for their role in our army. They're also great for modifications and can be used as light attack helicopters for air support in times of war.

All in all, valid point about the upgrade of our fleet, but I can ASSURE you that there's a lot of planning going on in that sector for our future procurements. Sit tight, and watch how it'll all unfold ;)

Thankyou Sir, You made me your fan

instead of procurements, we should develop one with the help of china, these procurements will not take us far, plus they will be waste of resources as we will be dependent on others, just like today

kharian beast and hascasn a humble request please let's not get into our usual bed time wishes and as for enlarging our wallets well for that we need good leaders and leader has 2 come from outside the two families of MR.BB(bhuttos...zardari) and the MIAN camp.

anyhow sticking to the subject i think TURKEY can be of great help in this field cuz turkey like pakistan enjoys Western technologies rather than russian or chinese or israeli....so i guess Turkey and pakistan look for similar things when it comes 2 armament...so instead of just relying completely on CHINA cuz nowadays i am scared of it these days everything we want we say don't worry we will ask china we r becoming spoilt brats so ya i say let's join hands with TURKEY on this one....

Back
Top Bottom