PAF ensuring national security, says air chief

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Friday, May 22, 2009

PAF ensuring national security, says air chief

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Air Force is undertaking its obligations towards national security and supporting the army in its ground operations to restore the government’s writ in Swat, Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar said on Thursday. He was visiting an operational base from where air attacks against the Taliban are being managed. Addressing airmen at the base, the air chief said PAF was hitting targets located in isolated areas and was making all efforts to avoid civilian casualties and collateral damage. “For this, it is only using precision-guided munitions,” he said. He said “intelligence and information about targets is being provided to PAF by the ground forces engaged with the Taliban”.
app

AVM retd. S.Latif was on Dawn-TV and mentioned that both F-16s and Mirages are being used for PGMs strikes.

Why PAF wouldn't try JF-17 for these missions, as they should be tested in real war.?

I believe you cannot send in fighters during their testing phases. There is no formal JF-17 squadron in service to be assigned for that mission.

Secondly, some of the PGMs "might" not have yet been integrated on it. Besides, the PAF would like to use F-16s since FMF is being used for their MLUs.

Finally, with some sections of the society against the use of airforce for this operation, I dont think PAF will be willing to write the history of JF-17 as being used for the first time against in-country operations.

My 2cents...I am sure a military professional can answer better.

In my humble opinion, JF17 is still not fully operational or you can say under operational, when i say so i don't mean to say it can't fly or fire AAMs or drop free fall bombs, i want to say that JF17 may not be fully operational as far as Surgical Strike scenario is concerned where one can't afford to take chances with respect to colleteral damage, where margin of error must not be over zero, correct me if i am wrong....

A video posted on PakDef.info by Usman Shabir, showing PAF Mirages and F-16s dropping Paveway laser-guided bombs. The targets are being designated by Falco UAVs (and possibly by ATLIS laser designator pods on the F-16s, although ATLIS is an older day-time only system). According to Mr Shabir, a respected journalist and authority on the Pakistan military, the Falco UAVs "are hooked to AHQ (Air Headquarters) where the feed can be seen live by the commanders while a target is being attacked."

Last edited by a moderator:
These operations will take quite some time we'll see PAF might order some more F-16s under funds for war on terror from US..we we're going to use a number of F-16s during over all operations in different sectors..perhaps those option to buy 18 might work this time..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom