What's new

Overseas Pakistanis will not vote in next elections!!

Isn't that the goal of any wage earner, whether local or abroad? Local earnings help by direct and indirect taxes, and foreign earnings help with the balance of payments by contributing hard currencies, in addition to the taxes generated. Their ultimate use to help feed the family is similar in the end for both, isn't it?

Laborers here can't drag their entire family to UAE. American citizens can bring their entire family to the US.

Once their family is in the US, their remittances would cease at least on a regular basis. They will still be feeding their family, but the money is no longer getting into Pakistani circulation.

That is a different question entirely, but the numbers suggest that NA expat contribute over 4 times more per capita than ME expats, and I imagine this is fairly similar in proportion to the average incomes between these groups.

Isn't that the goal of any wage earner, whether local or abroad? Local earnings help by direct and indirect taxes, and foreign earnings help with the balance of payments by contributing hard currencies, in addition to the taxes generated. Their ultimate use to help feed the family is similar in the end for both, isn't it?

Investements in Pakistan flow in from Our side...
There are many big and small enterprise in Pakistan funded completely by overseas Pakistanis.

Actually, these foreign remittances directly register into the hard currency reserves of the nation, and help the balance of payments immensely.

The foreign exchange reserve that your government so proudly brags about is part remittance and part IMF loans. The bigger part is remittances.

People are mixing few important things here,

1- Dual Nationals - should not be allowed to any public position in Pakistan, i 100% agree with this, i am a Pakistani- British national as well.
2- Dual Nationality is not a crime, its allowed.
3- Overseas Pakistani without dual nationality. when ever they go back to Pakistan they can take any public position.
4- All these people love Pakistan, dual nationals too but we cant give them public position as there might be conflicts which they are not suitable to address being citizen of 2 nations.
5- Overseas Pakistani are equal to people living in Pakistan, they have families in Pakistan and they support them so there is not a big difference if one person is out of country.

There should be no public position for dual nationals. That is what I totally agree with.

Calling them hypocrites, empty vessels and 'pretending to be more righteous' is insulting to say the least.

And by the way, those sitting in Pakistan are not doing anything about everyday target killings and thousands of innocent lives lost in political rivalries, what to talk about those killed in terror strikes.

Pakistanis generally have a low opinion of someone's life and property. Here in the west, its exactly opposite. The dignity of life, labour and ownership are treated sacrosanct. But then no 'preaching' allowed! Sorry.

Laborers here can't drag their entire family to UAE. American citizens can bring their entire family to the US.

Once their family is in the US, their remittances would cease at least on a regular basis. They will still be feeding their family, but the money is no longer getting into Pakistani circulation.

Not at all. 22% of the remittance pie is over a fifth, coming from only 9% of expats. Pretty steady, if you ask me.

That's just anecdotal evidence, but logically, it makes sense to view dual nationals as a risk.

Imagine a dual national between India and Pakistan. If you were an Indian and a Pakistani what would that lead to? Jang main kiska saath do ge?

There are very strong complications.

There are hundreds of thousands in karachi with relatives on both sides of the border,and were born in india.
But ask them which country they are loyal with?
Clue : Pakistan's ideology...Islam and muslims...
Get rid of that and many loyalties will change.

The foreign exchange reserve that your government so proudly brags about is part remittance and part IMF loans. The bigger part is remittances.

There should be no public position for dual nationals. That is what I totally agree with.

Calling them hypocrites, empty vessels and 'pretending to be more righteous' is insulting to say the least.

And by the way, those sitting in Pakistan are not doing anything about everyday target killings and thousands of innocent lives lost in political rivalries, what to talk about those killed in terror strikes.

Pakistanis generally have a low opinion of someone's life and property. Here in the west, its exactly opposite. The dignity of life, labour and ownership are treated sacrosanct. But then no 'preaching' allowed! Sorry.

IMF loan?
No remitence does not include government loans...remittence is the fereign exchange a country does not have to return..the whole philipine economy depends on remitences.
About preaching....those who had to preach have preached islam even in soviet russia and comumist china.
Thats another topic,preaching does not need government permission.

Think about it this way, that it takes only ONE person to mess it up.

There are many companies that demand that you not work anywhere else, while you are employed by them because your motivation or loyalties will be divided.

America pays you more, treats you better, helps your children go to school... Now America goes to war and calls upon you to fight Pakistan. Pakistan calls upon you to fight America.

Since both countries have a draft system, you must comply.

Who do you choose?

Hypothetical scenario, but the answer is easy: I would choose Pakistan. But then, I am not an American citizen, nor do I wish to become one, and neither did I swear an oath to defend my adopted country in the event of war. (NOTE: I am not advocating fighting America, just making a point about loyalties!)

A time of crisis certainly would test loyalties considerably, but that is true of life in general. Better in such circumstances to ask what does Islam require you to do - after all, if you die fighting for the wrong side, you have to face your Creator and answer for your deeds. Given that not everyone would necessarily take this train of thought to its logical conclusion, chances are that civilians forced to choose might simply resort to draft dodging and escape to a third country; loyalty to the self can easily trump loyalty to the nation-state.

To avoid this risk one must belong to only one country. You can still keep helping Pakistan out as an only American citizen, thats up to you, no one would stop you but at least you can't enjoy equal parity with a guy who will ONLY fight for Pakistan and does not have their loyalties divided - at least on paper.

In peacetime, and in today's globalised world, belonging to just one country is tremendously restrictive. Free movement of people, goods and monies makes for a healthy and better world; indeed this was the case throughout human history until the Europeans invented the concept of the nation-state at the Treaty of Westphalia, and then exported/imposed it upon the rest of the world during the era of colonisation.

The situation is quite different in wartime, I agree. Dual nationals can easily become patsies for infiltration and other wrongdoings. That, however, does not negate the tremendous good that dual nationality can bring in peacetime. As such, the concept itself is not a flawed one, although its implementation in certain situations can be. Hence, dual nationals should not be eligible for public office or military service (Pakistan already requires the latter) - that much I can agree with.

Doctor Afridi (the OBL doctor) wasnt a US national and yet became the biggest tool of espionage in the history of Pakistan.
There is no example of a dual nationality holder spying for another country..
Another example is Bugti weirdos who are muppets of anti Pakistan forces,and how many of these weirdos are dual nationals?

Everyone is a 'patriot' unless he gets a chance to immigrate.

Right you are, indicating that many, if not not most, who are speaking up vehemently against expats are either trying to go abroad themselves, or have been unsuccessful.

However, that is no reason to deny the right to vote to nationals, dual or not is besides the point. Otherwise, change the laws. That is the proper way to do it.

Right you are, indicating that many, if not not most, who are speaking up vehemently against expats are either trying to go abroad themselves, or have been unsuccessful.

However, that is no reason to deny the right to vote to nationals, dual or not is besides the point. Otherwise, change the laws. That is the proper way to do it.

Obviously, when the generation before of opportunists who took parchis of retired generals for scholarships to PhDs etc failed to change anything, rather never looked back again in their lives to their homeland, why shouldn't this generation of people try their luck at getting out of this state? They took away opportunities from people who would have come back to serve the nation.

Most silly are those who claim higher moral ground, come on this forum to ****, and then point out flaws in other people.

But as they say, never give up hope and believe in humanity. At least there are many people who truly know what honesty is, and their conscience are clear. I'd like to believe that.

........... why shouldn't this generation of people try their luck at getting out of this state? .............

True, that if the State does not provide security and opportunity to its citizens, then young people need to look abroad for those, and are perfectly justified in doing so. This was true then, and it is true now too.

I agree with this statement.

I wish all those trying, good luck and best wishes in their pursuit.

Of course, they would want to vote once abroad too, which is the topic of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom