What's new

Overseas Pakistanis will not vote in next elections!!

Why should overseas Pakistanis be accommodated? Are they living in Pakistan? Are they paying taxes to the Pakistani government? What right do they have to decide the fate of Pakistan and choose the leaders when they are living in another country? If overseas Pakistanis really feel the need then actually come to Pakistan physically and vote.

Your personal sentiments aside, it is simply a matter of law: A national has the right to vote, and it is the government's duty to provide the facilities for exercising that right. Making voters travel back to the country is merely a way to disenfranchise voters. Surely the government can make arrangements at its embassies and consulates abroad to ensure that its own nationals are not denied the right to vote.

How often do you travel on that green passport? Would you ONLY travel on your green passport by choice?

i have done that for 9 years and have visited 42 countries on Pakistani passport alone....Its another thing that my experiences abroad on Pakistani passport were the catalyst for me immigrating to UK..
Thats why i know all too well how successfully we as Muslims and Pakistanis have been defamed and demonized abroad and Pakistan as a country needs Patriotic Pakistanis "Abroad" to countereffect this media imposed Hypnosis on the people of the world...
I am on Blood Donors register and regularly donate Blood "while wearing Shalwar Qameez",and that always has a positive effect on people who see me doing that...and the effect of what i do goes all the way to Pakistan..
This is not something i coulod have done while staying in Pakistan,and thats just one example.

i have done that for 9 years and have visited 42 countries on Pakistani passport alone....Its another thing that my experiences abroad on Pakistani passport were the catalyst for me immigrating to UK..
Thats why i know all too well how successfully we as Muslims and Pakistanis have been defamed and demonized abroad and Pakistan as a country needs Patriotic Pakistanis "Abroad" to countereffect this media imposed Hypnosis on the people of the world...
I am on Blood Donors register and regularly donate Blood "while wearing Shalwar Qameez",and that always has a positive effect on people who see me doing that...and the effect of what i do goes all the way to Pakistan..
This is not something i coulod have done while staying in Pakistan,and thats just one example.

That is an important point worth re-emphasizing. The benefit from expatriate's exemplary performance to the native country is incalculably large, and must be kept in mind.

Is this patriotic enough for you elmo LOL

my boys singing to dil dil pakistan after pakistan win the 20/20 final - YouTube

Fact: Pakistan would be in a worse state if remittances didn't occur, there are thousands of benefits. If we weren't patriotic why would we send money back home, invest etc.

99.9% of all overseas Pakistanis (dual nationals and migrants) wish to return to their homeland and not stay abroad. The vast majority are abroad due to the situation in Pakistan rampant unemployment, inflation, no rule of law etc

Do you really think we would want to stay abroad if such issues were curtailed, in the next 20-30 years you will see a large amount expats returning to Pakistan as the situation improves. I bet my life on it that expats would be more willing to die for Pakistan than you so called TRUE NATIVE PAKISTANIS who think we are 2nd class citizens. Its exactly your mindset and backward thinking that isn't allowing Pakistan to develop as a nation, if you don't want us to vote then those with your mindset should quit moaning of why Pakistan is going down the drain.

RANT OVER

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

I have seen that Pakistanis living abroad are far far more patriotic. I myself have been travelling around i.e. in N.America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. Everywhere you go, i see Pakistani community working hard. There is something in them that wants Pakistan to be successful. Hey after all they are the ones left that try to make Pakistan a better image in the globe. Those living in Pakistan who think we are enjoying and partying in West are making a big mistake making these kinds of assumptions. They need to go and look around themselves first. Give me an example of country that thinks it normal to have maids, drivers, and chefs in households? I'm going to make this clear. There is so much disparity between the rich and the poor. Voting is one thing and social issues is another, which in my view should be the first thing that needs to be solved.

Although I agree with your post in essence, one point i'd like to make here.

The remittances that come back to Pakistan from overseas are not by a dual-national, or a middle class white collar workers, but the 'mazdoor', taxi driver, tandoor wala etc etc, who send the money back home to their families. So, even though the people directly aren't contributing anything to the country, these blue collar folks do in a way contribute something to the country.

But I think good decision by ECP, a person living in Pakistan has the right to vote, and not a person who has been abroad for the last 15 years and doesn't know a thing about the ongoing situation (there are exceptions always, but majority seem totally disconnected)

There are so many Pakistanis living abroad especially West that they don't even wanna give a damn about Pakistan so they sholdn't even have a right cuz they always support western hegemony.......:smokin:

I have seen that Pakistanis living abroad are far far more patriotic. I myself have been travelling around i.e. in N.America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. Everywhere you go, i see Pakistani community working hard. There is something in them that wants Pakistan to be successful. Hey after all they are the ones left that try to make Pakistan a better image in the globe. Those living in Pakistan who think we are enjoying and partying in West are making a big mistake making these kinds of assumptions. They need to go and look around themselves first. Give me an example of country that thinks it normal to have maids, drivers, and chefs in households? I'm going to make this clear. There is so much disparity between the rich and the poor. Voting is one thing and social issues is another, which in my view should be the first thing that needs to be solved.

The problem is not with Pakistani pplz who are living abroad but the ones especially in western countries pplz who have Pakistani descent and are totally westernized. These pplz don't give a damn about Pakistan and alwayz support Western hegemony especially the kids born in those countries they don't even wanna come to Pakistan..........:smokin:

The problem is not with Pakistani pplz who are living abroad but the ones especially in western countries pplz who have Pakistani descent and are totally westernized. These pplz don't give a damn about Pakistan and alwayz support Western hegemony especially the kids born in those countries they don't even wanna come to Pakistan..........:smokin:

Yes,to some extent i can agree to that.
The ones born abroad and have spent most part of their childhood abroad dont have much affinity with pakistan.
So this can be set as an standard,
Born in pakistan or born abroad and then lived the childhood abroad.

if such pakistanis are barred from voting,that may be fine and they wont be bothered.
But barring us who were born in Pakistan,and spent much of our lives there....this isnt fair.

Cannot deny that. There are all kinds of people in this world. Sure there are those people who drink, smoke weed, and do other ridiculous things. But one thing is for sure. Those in the West that do this openly admit it. If you compare to the same class in Pakistan, they have double standards. They are praying and committing haram on the same day. This is hypocrisy at its best. :agree:

Although ...having one Pakistani nationality is no litmus test for loyalty..
Pakistani pasport holders who never been abroad have done more damage to the country than all of us expats combined..

That's just anecdotal evidence, but logically, it makes sense to view dual nationals as a risk.

Imagine a dual national between India and Pakistan. If you were an Indian and a Pakistani what would that lead to? Jang main kiska saath do ge?

There are very strong complications.

Oh no, please do send in the money! :D

(... over a billion dollars a month.)

Wese there is a darkside to all this too...

Konsa national treasury main daal rahay hain, the intent is to send it to your maan, behn, bhai. My father did all that, the next generation - like me - who does not have a dependent in Pakistan is not doing that.

So over time we are left with going back to Pak and spending during vacations, the odd Zakat, and perhaps a few other things.

Also the ones that send through Hawala/Hundi are more of a problem than a benefit.

Wese there is a darkside to all this too...

Konsa national treasury main daal rahay hain, the intent is to send it to your maan, behn, bhai. My father did all that, the next generation - like me - who does not have a dependent in Pakistan is not doing that.

So over time we are left with going back to Pak and spending during vacations, the odd Zakat, and perhaps a few other things.

Also the ones that send through Hawala/Hundi are more of a problem than a benefit.

Off the topic. Can you please change the PM rule? The current rule with PM allowed to only 19000 posters or more is absurd.

Alone? People who left for better opportunities send home a billion dollars in hard currency every month, month after month, and increasing. Pakistan may be able to live with foreign aid, but without that cash flow? I think not.

What could be more patriotic than developing the means to support the homeland? Just to make a counterpoint, of course.

The point of the discussion was 'economy and security' and that's why people immigrate to other countries in order to have a secure and financially sound life. No one is denying the fact that foreign remittance is helping Pakistan but again, it would have been far better had you been settled in your country and worked your a$$ off like you do abroad and put your motherland where you belong on the right track... which would help make it a 'secure' land to 'work' in... you're sending money to support your family, what good this money is doing to the poor living in your neighbour? Does this money creating any job opportunities at all? Is this money helping in anyway creating awareness among populace to vote for the right candidates? Is this money any helpful in changing the governance system? Is this money helping in anyway to create a general conscious of responsibility among the people of Pakistan? What good this money is doing, other than supporting your family (half of it goes as GST to the corrupt elite) and 'probably' pay a portion in Zakat every year? What help is it doing to the poor/common man?

Come to Pakistan and take part in elections, run campaigns, create awareness among people to vote for the right people. People abroad are the ambassadors of civilised Pakistanis, come and transfer the germs of 'Muhazzabiyat' to other Pakistanis too. Money is not everything, but again money is everything.

Very naive comment.

Everyone is a 'patriot' unless he gets a chance to immigrate.

If all 4 million return, they cant change a zilch. The change will only come through politics and voting the right party in. This is an evolving process and it will take time to mature.

In the meantime, non-resident Pakistanis are not hypocrites and non-patriotic. Neither did they leave the country in lurch. In fact by being away, they are serving in a much better way, by sending more that $12 billion, which is such an anathema to you.

Since you are going on and on and on about remittances, let me rub some stats.

The "remittances" that are "driving" this country are largely from expats in the Gulf countries where they will never ever become nationals. The remittances from US and UK, even though the combined worth is claimed to be more, is small and shameful.

Pakistan

"According to the latest data released by the State Bank, overseas Pakistanis remitted an amount of $ 9.735 billion in the first nine months (July, 2011-March, 2012) of the current fiscal year, showing a very impressive growth of 21.45 percent or $ 1.719 billion as compared to $ 8.016 billion in the corresponding period of FY11.

The constant growth in remittances is likely to end the current financial year with record inflows of $13 billion as majority of the experts in the financial sector predicted.

The inflow of remittances during July-March, 2012 from Saudi Arabia, and UAE were seen impressive growth because these two leading countries were major sources of remittances owing to rising population of Pakistan in these countries.

These two countries contributed to $ 2.66 billion and $ 2.14 billion, which is more than 50 percent of the overall remittances received by the country. It is due to the fact that the number of Pakistani in these countries has been settled with their established business, successful joint-ventures and numbers of jobs.

As per estimate, the number of Pakistan in KSA and UAE have been increased to 1.6 more than million and over 1.3 million. "

and then this was the fiscal year end: "The inflow of remittances in July-June 2011-12 period from Saudi Arabia, UAE, USA, UK, GCC countries (including Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar and Oman) and the EU countries amounted to $3.687 billion, $2.84 billion, $2.334 billion, $1.52 billion, $1.495 billion and $364.79 million, respectively as compared with $2.67 billion, $2.59 billion, $2.068 billion, $1.199 billion, $1.3 billion and $354.76 million, respectively in the same period last year."

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-3-119729-Full-year-remittances-hit-record-high-of-$1318bn-in-FY12

It speaks for itself... when you get a chance to be a dual national, your Pakistaniat takes a back seat. If you have time, you should dig up info on how many Pakistanis are settled in the US and then see their contribution in the remittance pie.

Linking to Neo's forum, read post 4 here: Highest-ever $8.906bn remittances received in FY10 - PakistanTalk Forums

Back
Top Bottom