What's new

Over 70% of Foreign Firms in China Plan to Keep Their Local Supply Chain, Survey Shows

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Over 70% of Foreign Firms in China Plan to Keep Their Local Supply Chain, Survey Shows
April 11 2023

(Yicai Global) April 11 -- More than 70 percent of foreign companies that operate in China are keen on maintaining their supply chains in the world’s second-largest economy and continuing to explore the market, according to a recent survey.

Seventy of the 100 foreign companies with business in China that Price Waterhouse Coopers Consulting recently polled have confidence in China and are not planning to move their production or purchase departments outside the country. Eighteen are considering exiting the market and 12 have already decided to do so.

Of the firms that plan to remain in China, 84 percent said it is mainly because of its huge market size. Sophisticated industry chains and associated facilities, infrastructures, supply chain agility, rich human resources, and high digitalization of industry and commerce are the other top reasons.

“The Chinese government is optimizing the business environment and expanding market access to strengthen China’s advantage in the global supply chain,” Gabriel Wong, head of PwC China’s Inbound Outbound strategic market initiative, told Yicai Global. “We believe multinationals will enjoy such benefits and have more confidence and expectations.”

Overseas companies that have moved or are planning to move outside China have chosen Vietnam, India, and Indonesia as their top three destinations because they all have large populations, huge markets, and abundant labor forces.

Although China’s factor cost is much higher than in other Southeast Asian countries, it still attracts players from the global manufacturing industry thanks to its high labor efficiency, strong logistics, and low tariffs.

“Multinational companies may still adjust and disperse their supply chain because of the global environment,” Wong said. “But as the world’s second-largest market, China’s advantage is still attractive to foreign capital.”

China is deepening its relations with countries that signed the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership agreement, Wong noted, adding that China is in a supply chain transition phase, so it has many opportunities to cooperate with Southeast Asia.

Ok that means 30 percent want to move.

That’s not a small number.

And every year new foreign companies over that number also come and set up their businesses in China, it's common phenomenon, businesses come and go. some foreign companies could survive in China and are going to leave China anyway, being squeezed out by highly competitive Chinese companies.

Last edited:
And every year new foreign companies over that number also come and set up their businesses in China, it's common phenomenon, businesses come and go. some foreign companies could survive in China and are going to leave China anyway, being squeezed out by highly competitive Chinese companies.
Yes business up and down is normal. Fluctuating of business fortune is normal. 5 or 10 percent is normal but not 30 percent.

I think if Ccp invades Taiwan then 50 percent will pack and leave. Making money in China is not funny nowadays. If a business wants to withdraw money from China the tax authorities demand booking account records in the last 20 years. Normal is 10 years.

Yes business up and down is normal. Fluctuating of business fortune is normal. 5 or 10 percent is normal but not 30 percent.

I think if Ccp invades Taiwan then 50 percent will pack and leave. Making money in China is not funny nowadays. If a business wants to withdraw money from China the tax authorities demand booking account records in the last 20 years. Normal is 10 years.
In last decade, many Japanese manufaturers left China, it's not because they wanted, it's because they could no longer survive in the Chinese market, they are steadily being taken over by the Chinese domestic competitors year on year.

the 30% will beg to come back when they realise moving product lines to India and Vietnam etc cost them huge long term lol

In last decade, many Japanese manufaturers left China, it's not because they wanted, it's because they could no longer survive in the Chinese market, they are steadily being taken over by the Chinese domestic competitors year on year.
Yes however that’s the past. Geopolitics is now more important. China now allying with Russians hooligans. People realize you are standing with the enemy.

Yes however that’s the past. Geopolitics is now more important. China now allying with Russians hooligans. People realize you are standing with the enemy.
We always know they are standing with the enemy (US) , so what?

I seriously don't know why he posted this...

If I have a shop and 30% of my client want to leave, that's a very alarming development.

I seriously don't know why he posted this...

If I have a shop and 30% of my client want to leave, that's a very alarming development.
Less than 30% want to leave doesn't mean they will be leaving, besides, each other many foreign businesses are being squeezed out of the Chinese market, this number is about right for every year, and some go out, some move in, couldn't be more natural. just check out the very lucrative Chinese car market.

_20230405230046-png.923471

New ones are always coming with billions, this one came from one hour ago
Date
4/11/2023 8:03:45 AM

Less than 30% want to leave doesn't mean they will be leaving, besides, each other many foreign businesses are being squeezed out of the Chinese market, this number is about right for every year, and some go out, some move in, couldn't be more natural. just check out the very lucrative Chinese car market.

_20230405230046-png.923471

New ones are always coming with billions, this one came from one hour ago
Date
4/11/2023 8:03:45 AM
Well, then i can say 70% want to stay does not mean they are staying.

Again, if you don't understand how alarming 30% of your customers are saying they don't want to do business with you anymore, the only thing that show is you probably should never start your own business....

In fact, in most case, 5% customer swing is already alarming. 30% means you are doing something wrong.

Well, then i can say 70% want to stay does not mean they are staying.
They are already here, moving takes time and money. thinking about moving means nothing until they really move.

微信图片_20230411211645.png

Last edited:
They are already here, moving takes time and money. thinking about moving means nothing until they really move.

View attachment 924246
Dude, that's not the point, the point is, if 30% of your client tell you they want to leave, that have to be a reason, because the same argument can apply to the 30%, they are already here and moving take time and money, but they still tell you they want to leave. What make you think the 70% won't do the same thing then.

And again, if you don't understand how 30% is alarming, as I said, the only thing that show is that you should never own a business.

Dude, that's not the point, the point is, if 30% of your client tell you they want to leave, that have to be a reason, because the same argument can apply to the 30%, they are already here and moving take time and money, but they still tell you they want to leave. What make you think the 70% won't do the same thing then.

And again, if you don't understand how 30% is alarming, as I said, the only thing that show is that you should never own a business.
This is just one poll, another poll shows that 80% of them had never thought about leaving, polls vary from one another, but they only mean something when they really move. besides, with Chinese climbing up the value chain, it's quite natural to let go of some labor intensive low added value industries, their leave will make room for more advanced industries moving into China.

Back
Top Bottom