What's new

Over 150 passengers missing as ferry sinks in Bangladesh

Its the fault of the ferry authority and the government for not ensuring public safety. They should have had a life jacket for every person that boarded the ferry.

RIP.
South Asians have poor nutritional standards so they lack energy to swim.

Wow. Thanks for the info. Its a sad sad piece of news that possibly 150 people have lost thier lives. I pray for them and their families but open waters like this are no match for even good swimmers.
I find it incredible that you have to soft troll and a situation like this you have the audacity to bring up nutrition standards. First the soft troll of the year brings up swimming then you join in with nutritional standards? We all know what your intentions are. You are indeed a shameful character that needs to grow up.
A sad tragedy has occured - dont attempt to make cheap snide comments of this nature as it lowers the quality of PDF.

swimmers are generally very lean and has very low muscle mass, nutrition is not the factor here.....the dude that brought up the nutrition as the cause for the swimming fail is using bro science.

Its the fault of the ferry authority and the government for not ensuring public safety. They should have had a life jacket for every person that boarded the ferry.

Yep that too. Are these ferries government operated or private?

Yep that too. Are these ferry government operated or private?

Ferry with similar name capsized in 2002, and MV Salahuddin-1 this time. Probably the same operator.

private most of them.

Is it because of strong current in the river? Even then chances of surviving will definitely increase if you know how to swim.
Most probably due to lack of energy. Most Bengalis are not physically fit to swim I guess........ And Meghna is the mightiest river in Bengal... it is often called ' Shorbonasha Meghna! It is formed by Surma and Kushiara (Barak) and takes Padma(ganges) on its way!! Lol i often tell people ' ami meghna parer chele' when they ask me about my hometown! :p

Most probably due to lack of energy. Most Bengalis are not physically fit to swim I guess........ And Meghna is the mightiest river in Bengal... it is often called ' Shorbonasha Meghna! It is formed by Surma and Kushiara (Barak) and takes Padma(ganges) on its way!! Lol i often tell people ' ami meghna parer chele' when they ask me about my hometown! :p

physically fit has nothing to do with swimming here, long distance swimming is all about technique. In a catastrophic situation adrenaline will kick in and give you a decent amount energy. Swimmers are generally very lean and lower the muscle mass the better, you have to be flexible though with long arms, palms and foot. That is one of the reason why black people do not win anything in swim contests at the Olympics even though they are genetically tanks when it comes to muscle mass. Muscle sinks were fat gives you extra buoyancy. I have a diploma in sports nutrition and played varsity american football at my university :P

Its not just Bangladeshis though, its the same story in India, or at least the gangetic plains of India, where I am from.

I once saved a toddler from drowning in my village in India. There must have been about 15-20 people helplessly watching from the river bank. God knows how many die every year. You don't have to be a strong swimmer, just knowing how to swim can make a lot of difference.

Next time I go to India, am planning to teach some youth from village how to swim, buy some life jackets and floaties for them. Then I can get them to teach school kids and other youths in the village.

Read this news couple of years ago which got me thinking.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Aussie lessons for Bangladesh lifeguards

Its not just Bangladeshis though, its the same story in India, or at least the gangetic plains of India, where I am from.

I once saved a toddler from drowning in my village in India. There must have been about 15-20 people helplessly watching from the river bank. God knows how many die every year. You don't have to be a strong swimmer, just knowing how to swim can make a lot of difference.

Next time I go to India, am planning to teach some youth from village how to swim, buy some life jackets and floaties for them. Then I can get them to teach school kids and other youths in the village.

Read this news couple of years ago which got me thinking.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Aussie lessons for Bangladesh lifeguards

i learnt swimming when i was little, i am a decent swimmer, but i am slow as hell even though i am in a very athletic condition. Its all about the technique.

i learnt swimming when i was little, i am a decent swimmer, but i am slow as hell even though i am in a very athletic condition. Its all about the technique.

Yup thats true, people who don't know how to swim panic in such situations and tire themselves out very soon. Keeping calm is the key.

yes you have to be very patient, float, chill, swim, float, chill, swim...if you panic you are as good as dead in such situations.

Ferry sinking in BD is as common as rail accidents in India, but it happens again and again. Sad state of affairs.

Back
Top Bottom