What's new

Outgoing Pakistan Navy chief details procurement progress

C-802 (120km) and Harpoon Block II (124km) are relatively lighter missiles than Babur's expected anti-ship version. As seen with Azmat No. 3, heavier AShM's can reduce the number of weapons a ship can carry.

Your statement implies that even the Harpoon's could be replaced by a heavier, long range AShM.
I would suggest not judging AShM's by their range.

New ships will have longer range AShMs even latest version of C-802 have longer range then original one, also YJ-18 may become primary AShM of new PN ships.

What am I missing here , everyone I s basing the info about new order from on outgoing chiefs speech so he misspoke ??

Order yes but of which type of class of ships we do not know, that's what I was clearing up simply.

it was in the launch before the slcm launch, i believe rashid mahmood also pointed it out.
https://www.dawn.com/news/1302422

“The missile incorporates advanced aerodynamics and avionics that can strike targets both at land and sea with high accuracy,” the ISPR said.

There is media speculation that Pakistan may have fitted C-602's active seeker to the Babur.
PN always envisaged a Babur AShM.

Logically, the development of a dual AShM/LACM launcher for some ships doesn't negate the possibility of having a LACM-capable VLS on another ship. It just tells us the PN wants to bring AShM/LACM capabilities to the ships that use slant-launchers.

It's also worth remembering that no one was actually expecting a frigate order from China. While it is contingent on financing options, I think the PN would go for the better CSOC design provided the credit mechanisms are in place.

At the end of the day, these new ships have to stick for several decades, and going for a less versatile design today - while cheap today - can be costly over the long-term. That $100-150 m per ship cost difference could save you by giving you a ship that can sustain its relative utility (vs threats) for another 15, 20 or 25 years.

It's worth remembering that even the Hangor (II) seem to be the best submarine (likely a S26-variant) CSOC can offer, even though the PN could have saved money by going for the non-AIP capable S20.
1 more subsurface system planned depending upon budget- may be a classified project

1 more subsurface system planned depending upon budget- may be a classified project

You have already declared it to be a submarine with n tipped missiles. What’s classified in that?

You have already declared it to be a submarine with n tipped missiles. What’s classified in that?
Oh lets see

Everything from even the most basic of specs to the project.. unless your comprehension levels of the term classified are generally lacking. Let me guve you an example of the usage of the word classified:

Aviation week was aware of the F-117- even had some rudimentary ideas of what the program was about.. yet continued to call it as classified. Which means that in case your smart self happened to be a person of genuine interest in Pakistan affairs and walks to a Pakistani navy office asking about such a program, they will deny the existence of such a system.

Nope, it is a submersible

I meant to say, submarine launched supersonic land attack missile.

Babur 3 doesn't have the range that is desirable against an enemy who has the depth.

Are you suggesting Pakistan could develop new long range LACM for the submarines to supplement the Babur?

Oh lets see

Everything from even the most basic of specs to the project.. unless your comprehension levels of the term classified are generally lacking. Let me guve you an example of the usage of the word classified:

Aviation week was aware of the F-117- even had some rudimentary ideas of what the program was about.. yet continued to call it as classified. Which means that in case your smart self happened to be a person of genuine interest in Pakistan affairs and walks to a Pakistani navy office asking about such a program, they will deny the existence of such a system.

Thank you for the long explanation but I do understand what you meant by classified. The world knew we were working on a SSBN. At least the people in the capacity knew about it.

The hint was already given by your defence body that they want a submersible platform (may be conventional sub) with capacity to launch nuclear ballistic missiles. As such you have the capability now to launch a nuke tipped cruise missile and will induct it soon. Hence I didn’t find it classified coz you will eventually field it, it’s just when you will field it.

I meant to say, submarine launched supersonic land attack missile.

Babur 3 doesn't have the range that is desirable against an enemy who has the depth.

Are you suggesting Pakistan could develop new long range LACM for the submarines to supplement the Babur?
The babur’s range limitations arise from its powerplant and construction. Otherwise the design itself has much more potential.

A second platform is likely to be local manufacturing of a chinese design

Thank you for the long explanation but I do understand what you meant by classified. The world knew we were working on a SSBN. At least the people in the capacity knew about it.

The hint was already given by your defence body that they want a submersible platform (may be conventional sub) with capacity to launch nuclear ballistic missiles. As such you have the capability now to launch a nuke tipped cruise missile and will induct it soon. Hence I didn’t find it classified coz you will eventually field it, it’s just when you will field it.
We will announce it via social media

There two areas of need: (1) supersonic cruising AShM similar to Brahmos or (2) a very long-range LACM (i.e. 1,000-1500+ km). Either one launched from a submerged submarine would be a major gain.

The babur’s range limitations arise from its powerplant and construction. Otherwise the design itself has much more potential.

A second platform is likely to be local manufacturing of a chinese design

We will announce it via social media

Pakistan should acquire CJ-10's powerplant, if the Chinese are willing to provide.

Back
Top Bottom