What's new

Our Heroes need their identity back

"The Prince of the Pilots"

The best in the world low level aerobatics legendary Aviator Air Commodore "F.S." Hussain S.Bt. T.Pk

Air Commodore Fuad Shahid Husain popularly known as “FS” Hussain was one of the most gifted flyers of the first generation PAF combat pilots. He became a legend in his lifetime and was widely known as aerobatics.
He commanded the first jet squadron in the P.A.F He held various high command appointments and his contribution to flying in PAF was immense.

Courtesy : Mr. Zahid Husain

1601592725867.png

Pakistan Air Force Falcons in 1970's
— Avm Farooq Umar.

1606777396573.png

1607369459539.png

Flt Lt Shahid Raza

On 17 December, the last day of the war, Flt Lt Shahid Raza of No 25 Squadron volunteered for a mission from which he was fated not to return. During ground attack, his F-6 was hit by enemy AAA near Dharman, close to Shakargarh. He was heard to be ejecting but sadly, nothing more was ever learnt about him. He was awarded a Tamgha-i-Jur’at for devotion to duty, as well as professionalism shown in his earlier Hunter kill.

Flt Lt Syed Shahid Raza
(Tamgha-e-Jurat)
Flight Lieutenant Syed Shahid Raza flew a total of eleven operational missions during the war. Throughout this period, the officer displayed an extremely high standard of professional skill, aggressiveness and determination. On 5th December ‘71, during an aerial engagement Flight Lieutenant Raza was credited with one enemy Hunter aircraft shot down. On the evening of 17th December, while off duty, he requested to be detailed for a close support mission. His aircraft was hit by enemy ground fire during that mission, and he was heard to be ejecting in enemy territory. He was officially declared missing in action. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty he has been awarded the Tamgha-e-Jurat.
shahid

1607369506391.png

CITATION OF PAF SHAHEEDS
Wing Commander
Mervyn L Middlecoat
(Sitara-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Basalat)
On the outbreak of war on 3rd December 71, Wing Commander Mervyn L Middlecoat was on a training visit abroad. He returned to Pakistan immediately and joined operations with such keen interest that he inspired all squadron pilots. The day after his arrival he was detailed on a strike mission to the heavily defended jamnagar airfield. While returning after the successful mission he was engaged by 2 enemy Mig-21s. In the encounter his aircraft was hit by an enemy missile. He was heard to be ejecting in Indian territory and was officially declared missing in action. For his devotion to duty, determination and courage he was awarded a Bar to the Sitara-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Basalat.

1607373453581.png

Wing Commander
Syed Muhammad Ahmad
(Sitara-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Basalat)
On 4th December, 1971 one of our combat air patrols over Dhaka was engaged by an enemy formation. With the arrival of more enemy aircraft the patrol was heavily out-numbered and the leader gave a call for help. Wing Commander Ahmad was immediately airborne and his timely intervention enabled the patrol to return safely to base. In the encounter Wing Commander Ahmad’s aircraft was hit by an enemy aircraft and he was heard to be ejecting in territory occupied by rebels. He was officially declared missing in action. For his personal example, courage and devotion to duty, he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Basalat.

1607373413091.png
ahmad.jpg (9880 bytes)
Sqn Ldr Khusro
(Sitara-i-Jurat)
Squadron Leader Khusro had retired from the PAF but was recalled for the war. In spite of many personal problems, he showed great keenness, courage, determination and fighting spirit. On 6th December, 1971, he volunteered for a bombing mission to Jamnagar airfield regardless of the consequences. He failed to return from the mission and was officially declared missing in action. His fighting spirit, determination and devotion were examples to all aircrew of the unit. For his outstanding courage and devotion to duty Squadron Leader Khusro has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607373479502.png

Flt Lt Samad Ali Changezi

By Yawar Mazhar and Usman Shabbir

1607374246985.png

PAF Base Masroor was a very important target for IAF attacks and used to come under regular night attacks by IAF Canberra Bombers. Due to the difficulty faced in launching missions from the base, while under attack at night, it was decided that two F-104 aircraft should be positioned at PAF Base Faisal for night Air Defence Missions as an alternate airfield.

On 16th December, 1971, Sqn Ldr Rashid Bhatti, along with Flt Lt Samad Changezi was detailed to move to PAF Base Faisal with two F-104A aircraft. These aircraft were out of those nine F-104 aircraft that came to Masroor from Jordan on 13th of December.

The Jordanian Starfighters lacked the special modifications, carried out by PAF on its Starfighters, enabling them to carry two Sidewinders on under wing weapon pylons in addition to two on the wingtips.

Due to lack of this modification, Bhatti and Samad had no choice, but to fly these aircraft for night air defence with guns only and carry fuel on wingtip tanks for extended range. The main idea being that at night PAF wanted the IAF raiding bombers to know that Starfighters are in the air leaving them with a very uncomfortable position to continue their planned attacks.

Both Bhatti and Samad took off from PAF Base Masroor for PAF Base Faisal on 16th December at 1600hrs. After landing at Faisal the pilots completed necessary operational requirement to organize the Air Defence Hut in tents and both aircraft were made ready for the night mission.

On 17th December, both pilots were told to come back to Masroor and while preparing to return they received instructions from Air Defence Command, to fly a CAP around Mirpur Khas and Chor area before landing back at Masroor.

Both pilots started a CAP in the designated area. Samad was flying the RJAF Starfighter with tail number 56-767 and Bhatti 56-839. After an hour, while both pilots were planning to return to Masroor for landing, they heard a call from Badin Radar Station, informing them of two bandits, flying at 10,000 ft and heading in their direction. The radar controller asked if they would like to engage them, Bhatti replied affirmative. Radar controller started passing on the instructions to establish contact with the bandits.

As Starfighter was approaching near the targets in battle formation, Samad who was on Bhatti’s left established contact with one of the IAF MiG-21s coming from opposite direction. Samad broke off from his lead and tried to manoeuvre behind this MiG-21.

Meanwhile Bhatti (lead) also picked up both the MiG-21s and tried to position behind them. Now the situation was such that Samad was behind one MiG-21 trying to close in within gun firing range (about 3500 ft) with the second MiG-21 trying to close in on Samad. At this time Bhatti saw the second MiG-21, while still diving and turning, fire one missile at a very high angle-off at Samad. This missile missed Samad’s aircraft. At this moment Bhatti called Samad that one MiG-21 is behind him and has fired a missile which was a miss. Bhatti told Samad to jettison his fuel tanks and go full afterburner (full throttle) and disengage. Since Samad was very excited trying to get within the gun firing range of the MiG-21 he ignored Bhatti or was not very attentive in the heat of the situation.

The second MiG-21 fired another missile which was a direct hit and Samad’s Starfighter exploded in the air. The pilot had no time to eject and was killed instantly. Bhatti by now had closed in behind this second MiG-21, but both the MiG-21s made a hard turn to the right and headed east towards their base. Due to low fuel and lack of any air-to-air missiles, Bhatti also turned towards own base and recovered at Masroor.

This was the third and final Starfighter loss of 1971 war.

1607374298143.png

Sqn Ldr Muhammad Nasir Dar
(Sitara-i-Basalat)

Squadron Leader Muhammad Nasir Dar, a signals officer, achieved Shahadat as a result of a direct bomb hit on his place of work during war. He continued to work in spite of the heavy air raid and declined to take shelter. For his devotion to his work above and beyond the call of duty, he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Basalat.

Sqn Ldr Ishfaq Hameed Qureshi
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

Squadron Leader Ishfaq Hameed Qureshi was recalled from PIA for operational flying, with a B-57 Squadron. From the onset of hostilities he displayed distinct qualities of patriotism and aggressiveness to achieve positive results. This was a source of inspiration to other aircrew. Unfortunately, he was unable to return from his second mission of the war on 5th December, 1971. Ishfaq displayed exceptional determination and tenacity under very adverse conditions that existed at his base from 4th morning of December till the night he went for his last mission. For his dedication, courage and display of excellent fighting spirit he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

Sqn Ldr
Muhammad Aslam Choudhry
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

Squadron Leader Muhammad Aslam Choudhry flew a total of fifteen missions since the outbreak of war. As he had spent most of his service in training establishments, he had to start with a disadvantage in a fighter squadron. But he was a keen pilot and managed to polish up his fighter flying in a comparatively short time. He was always keen to fly operational missions. On 10th December, 1971, while leading a section of 2 F-86s in Chhamb Sector on a close air support mission, his flight was engaged by 6 Hunters. Being heavily out-numbered, he was presumed to have been shot down by one of the enemy. He was officially declared missing in action. For his valour, courage, determination and devotion to duty he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607454357204.png

Sqn Ldr Peter Christy
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

Squadron Leader Peter Christy was on deputation to PIAC when recalled for war duties. He showed great keenness to fly, and in spite of overwhelming family responsibilities, he was ever willing to take on any mission at any odd hour of the day or night. He was completely devoted to the task in hand. His sense of humour under war conditions, his dedication to the cause of the country and his personal courage contributed immensely to the Squadron’s morale. On 6th December, 1971, he was detailed as navigator for a bombing mission to Jamnagar. He failed to return from the mission and was officially declared missing in action. For his personal example and complete devotion to duty, he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607454419526.png

1607609910963.png

Officer Commanding Combat Commander School (CCS) Cecil Chaudhry (front-centre) and other pilots pose in front of F-6 and Mirage-5PA at Sargodha - circa 1978.

[Picture Courtesy: Fahd Hasnat]

1607793020914.png

Air Cdre (R) Ab Sattar Alvi With Squadron Mates In Front Of Shenyang F-6 From CCS Of Pakistan Air Force.

Flt Lt Fazal Elahi
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

Flight Lieutenant Fazal Elahi was a young and energetic pilot. He flew the first two missions to Srinagar airfield and subsequent close air support missions every day till 7th December, 1971. On 8th December his aircraft was hit by ground fire in Chhamb-Jurian Sector; the ground fire presumably hit a bomb fuse, causing the aircraft to explode. Fazal always volunteered to fly irrespective of the danger of the mission. He displayed exemplary courage and determination at his young age in spite of limited experience. He has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607802441532.png

Flt Lt Samad Ali Changazi
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

Flight Lieutenant Samad Ali Changazi flew eleven missions on F-104s during the war. Despite his limited experience he was very keen and aggressive. He was responsible for the destruction of an enemy radar station and damage to one of their aircraft. In the last mission, disregarding the danger to his life, he pursued his attack on an enemy aircraft till he was shot down by an enemy missile. For his act of valour and for sacrificing his life for the cause of the country, he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607802478809.png

Flt Lt Syed Safi Mustafa
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

Flight Lieutenant Syed Safi Mustafa was Flight Commander No 246 Squadron PAF . Towards the end of February ‘71 orders were issued for MOUs to regroup and take shelter with the nearest army garrison due to the insecure conditions created by civil agitation. Flight Lieutenant Mustafa along with 37 airmen thereupon took refuge with the East Pakistan Rifles’ Headquarters at Mymensingh. Throughout the period of civil strife and agitation he continued to look after his men with great courage and dedication.

On 16th March he came to Dhaka for a day where he was advised by friends and relatives not to go back to his unit because of the prevailing danger to non-locals. He was, however, determined to return to his post and was last in contact with the Base on 27th March. The evidence available indicates that in all probability he was executed by the rebels on 17th April, 1971. For his gallantry and dedication Flight Lieutenant Syed Safi Mustafa is posthumously awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607802535188.png

Flt Lt Saeed Afzal Khan
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

On 4th December, 1971, Flight Lieutenant Saeed Afzal khan was flying as No 2 in a formation of 2 F-86 aircraft when he engaged 4 Indian Hunters and immediately shot one down. Meanwhile another formation of 4 Hunters joined the aerial battle. In the subsequent combat, although facing great odds, he was not deterred from attacking them. He put up a gallant fight with complete disregard to his own safety.

Due to his determination and flying skill he prevented every one of them from attacking their target i.e. Dhaka airfield. While being heavily outnumbered by superior performance aircraft he continued the fight but was later shot down by a Hunter. He bailed out safely but was captured by the rebels and has been missing since then. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607809525642.png

Flt Lt Zulfiqar Ahmad
(Sitara-i-Jurat)

Flight Lieutenant Zulfiqar Ahmad was employed as a navigator on a B-57 aircraft. Although he could not return from his very second mission of the war, he displayed outstanding qualities of courage and keenness to undertake the most arduous missions from the very onset of operations.

This was a source of inspiration to others since he was one of the youngest crew members in the bomber organization. On the 1st day of the operations, when only experienced and mature aircrew were being selected for the first strikes, Zulfiqar insisted on being included. He was eventually detailed for a mission to Jodhpur which was very successful. For his determination, courage and tenacity he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Jurat.

1607809565165.png

Flt Lt Syed Shahid Raza
(Tamgha-e-Jurat)

Flight Lieutenant Syed Shahid Raza flew a total of eleven operational missions during the war. Throughout this period, the officer displayed an extremely high standard of professional skill, aggressiveness and determination. On 5th December ‘71, during an aerial engagement Flight Lieutenant Raza was credited with one enemy Hunter aircraft shot down.

On the evening of 17th December, while off duty, he requested to be detailed for a close support mission. His aircraft was hit by enemy ground fire during that mission, and he was heard to be ejecting in enemy territory. He was officially declared missing in action. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty he has been awarded the Tamgha-e-Jurat.

1607882786133.png

Flt Lt Ghulam Murtaza Malik
(Tamgha-e-Jurat)

Flight Lieutenant Ghulam Murtaza Malik was an able and experienced navigator. He was a very active member of the squadron and always showed great enthusiasm and determination. He flew two missions against the most heavily defended Indian airfields and showed great bravery and courage in the execution of these missions in complete disregard of personal safety. On 5th December, 1971, he was detailed as navigator on a bombing mission to Amritsar airfield. He failed to return from the mission, and was officially declared missing in action. For his courage, determination and devotion to duty he has been awarded the Tamgha-i-Jurat.

1607882828910.png

Flt Lt Afzal Jamal Siddiqui
(Sitara-i-Basalat)

Flight Lieutenant Afzal Jamal Siddiqui displayed outstanding keenness, enthusiasm and aggressiveness during the 1971 war right till the time he was shot down and killed by our own ground fire, while chasing an enemy SU-7 aircraft on 8th December, 1971. By then he had flown six operational missions. His cheerful, bold and selfless attitude contributed largely to the high morale of his fellow pilots and inspired them to fight the enemy with greater tenacity. For his spirited and aggressive approach towards operational commitments, his sustained display of courage and enthusiasm in the air and on the ground, he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Basalat.

1607882874704.png

Flt Lt Muhammad Wasim Ansari
(Tamgha-i-Basalat)

Flight Lieutenant Muhammad Wasim Ansari, a signals officer, achieved Shahadat as a result of a direct bomb hit on his place of work. This officer, inspired by a feeling of patriotism, carried on working under extremely dangerous conditions. This was above and beyond the call of duty. He has been awarded the Tamgha-i-Basalat.

1607969919707.png

Flying Officer Nasim Nisar Ali Baig
(Tamgha-i-Jurat)

Flying Officer Nasim Nisar Ali Baig flew a total of eight successful operational missions during the 1971 war. During all those missions he displayed exemplary courage, dedication and professionalism in spite of his limited experience.

On 13th December, ‘71, he was ordered to get airborne from a forward base to intercept intruding enemy aircraft. Immediately after take-off he was intercepted by 3 enemy fighters. Placed in a very vulnerable situation, Flying Officer Baig manoeuvred his aircraft with determination and aggressiveness but was unable to gain an advantageous position because he was outnumbered during a critical stage of flight. He was subsequently shot down and fatally injured. For his valour, courage and undaunted spirit he has been awarded the Tamgha-i-Jurat.

1607969970164.png

Corporal Technician
Syed Shaukat Ali
(Tamgha-i-Jurat)

While a POW in India he conducted himself in an upright and fearless manner. He twice tried to escape from the POW camp. In the second attempt he received serious bullet injuries; even then he pounced upon the armed guard in a bid to prevent him from firing at his colleague Corporal Technician Nawab. For his outstanding and excellent performance he has been awarded the Tamgha-i-Jurat.

1607969994810.png

Junior Technician Muhammad Latif
(Tamgha-i-Jurat)

During an enemy air raid, realising that the pilots strapped in air defence alert aircraft were exposed to grave danger, he disregarded his personal safety, ran up to each aircraft and helped the pilots to unstrap and take cover. In this process he was fatally wounded by enemy fire and died soon after. For his outstanding courage and devotion to duty he has been awarded the Tamgha-i-Jurat.

1608078890871.png

Leading Aircraftman
Muhammad Azam Nasir
(Tamgha-i-Jurat)

During an enemy air raid at PAF Chander, instead of taking shelter, he proudly faced the Indian bomber with G-3 rifle and kept on firing at the attacking aircraft. A bomb fell about 6 yards from his trench and buried him along with other occupants of the trench. All except he were dug out alive. For his outstanding courage and devotion to duty he has been awarded the Tamgha-i-Jurat.

1608078913673.png

Sqn Ldr M A Qureshi
(SHAHEED)

Flying Officer M A Khan
(SHAHEED)

Flying Officer S S Azam
(SHAHEED)

1608474013378.png

Flt Lt A A M Saqlaan
(SHAHEED)

1608474038758.png

Back