What's new

Osmania University beef festival sparks violence

see Personal habits make political statements,everything is political and we are in the cusp of it.

If we continue to act naive,we just get extinct in no time,thats all.

See man,i am not naive and fully understand that personal habits make political statements.Was never doubting that.

But

Don't you think that if someone is making a political statement,the person believe in his cause to such an extent that it would not be wrong to say that the ship has sailed from this harbour eons ago and it is futile now to play with waves.

If you are looking to change the views of a person than threatening violence is the least effective way of doing it and if you are not that what difference would the act of that person cause to us.

I think you said somewhere your better half hails from TN.

Ask her if she can get beef commonly in all places in TN except in some border places in TN in the Nagercoil-Kanyakumari belt or in certain Muslim majority areas.

Mani is an emotional idiot from pre-partition Pakistan who probably loves his ancestral land more than he loves Tamil Nadu.

Wrong example...:D
bro why are you expecting others to bend for your desires?? moreover hindu scripts never say anythn about eating beef. but it explicitly says respect your neghbours. and you people are raising voices against your brothers eating habits why? why you people dont have the acceptance? this 21st centuary comeout of these BC mentality...

bro why are you expecting others to bend for your desires?? moreover hindu scripts never say anythn about eating beef. but it explicitly says respect your neghbours. and you people are raising voices against your brothers eating habits why? why you people dont have the acceptance? this 21st centuary comeout of these BC mentality...

What Hindu scriptures says or not say should not be a concern to you? People consider cow sacred for what ever reason and they don't need to explain that you and any one else. Also the respect thing you are talking about you do realize it is not a one way trip.. you have to give it to get it back..

Nobody is stopping you to eat beef or pork. But if you act stupid and call for beef/pork festivals in sensitive areas then you can only wish your god to save your ar$e..

Same reason wy we also bend to other's desires. Do you think it was out of our own will that we could not read Satanic Verses or could not see Da Vinci code in theaters ?

It's called respecting each other's religious sentiments in a process of give and take.

Anway no one is asking you to bend to anyone's desires illegally. It is a constitutional rule mandated by the Parliament to ban cow slaughter in most states in India including Tamil Nadu. So as an Indian, who is duty bound to follow the laws, just follow it.

As for Hindu scriptures, go read the posts some pages back. I have given plenty of references from Vedas as to how cow should not be killed. Anyway, with all due respect, we need not justify our religious sentiments to anyone. It is as it is. If other's expect Hindus to respect their religious sentiments, then better respect ours too.

As for the bolded part, I can only LOL and say its a bit rich. ;)

Same reason wy we also bend to other's desires. Do you think it was out of our own will that we could not read Satanic Verses or could not see Da Vinci code in theaters ?

It's called respecting each other's religious sentiments in a process of give and take.

Anway no one is asking you to bend to anyone's desires illegally. It is a constitutional rule mandated by the Parliament to ban cow slaughter in most states in India including Tamil Nadu. So as an Indian, who is duty bound to follow the laws, just follow it.

As for Hindu scriptures, go read the posts some pages back. I have given plenty of references from Vedas as to how cow should not be killed. Anyway, with all due respect, we need not justify our religious sentiments to anyone. It is as it is. If other's expect Hindus to respect their religious sentiments, then better respect ours too.

As for the bolded part, I can only LOL and say its a bit rich. ;)
bro i am a christian and i didnt support the govt decision to ban da vinci code. it is an individuals brain child if somebody wishes to see it they should be allowed. this is not a communist country for godsakes... everyone has their own rights and freedom. if i dont like the story of the movie i will not see and that should not mean that the movie must be banned... that is insane...

also one more point i would like to make, till the aryan invasion in india, the native dravidians didnt have any religion. only after 5th centuary AD saivam and vainavam camr into the dravidian society.
reference: Tamil literature.

`

Agreed on principal, but govt bans a lot of things for wider benefit of society.

Killing wild bucks is banned on environmental grounds - benefits society through preservation of environment

Consuming heroin banned on health grounds - - benefits society by preserving health standards

Hurling caste based abuse at low caste person banned, insulting other religions banned, cow slaughter banned, satanic verses banned - benefits society by preserving harmony and law and order

Now the last category is overal a grey area, and I completely agree with you on that. But the underlying principle is still a positive one, don't you agree?

The thing is, sentiments are what? Feelings. If we started making laws to appease feelings we will never stop and especially those based upon feelings of a belief. A belief by definition is something non-provable. That means I can have a belief in Tom of Tom n Jerry as God and my government has to honor it? Give national holidays, ensure that nowhere Jerry is given the upper hand compared to Tom?

Cow is revered as Mother or God, or both, this is a belief. The government should have no say on this matter. The people who want to give reverence to the cow, may go on doing so. The people who don't have every right to take a bite into it.

True secularism demands separation of religion and state.

The thing is, sentiments are what? Feelings. If we started making laws to appease feelings we will never stop and especially those based upon feelings of a belief. A belief by definition is something non-provable. That means I can have a belief in Tom of Tom n Jerry as God and my government has to honor it? Give national holidays, ensure that nowhere Jerry is given the upper hand compared to Tom?

Cow is revered as Mother or God, or both, this is a belief. The government should have no say on this matter. The people who want to give reverence to the cow, may go on doing so. The people who don't have every right to take a bite into it.

True secularism demands separation of religion and state.

True that. The Indians are always bragging about secularism, but their version of it seems pretty whishy-washy.

True that. The Indians are always bragging about secularism, but their version of it seems pretty whishy-washy.

Yeah right, Indian secularism is better, if we start following the western form of secularism, and say start banning burkha, and start serving pork in government universities and colleges, you lots will be the first one to moan and whine about it, and then you ll say thank god we made Pakistan in 1947 :angel:

Why should only the Hindus be expected to follow this so called "true" secualrism? If Hindus start protesting against Muslims doing their jumma prayer on the road and blocking the traffic, as lets face it it causes public nuisance, would you still demand this "true" secularism? Stop being so biased all the time.

Yeah right, Indian secularism is better, if we start following the western form of secularism, and say start banning burkha, and start serving pork in government universities and colleges, you lots will be the first one to moan and whine about it, and then you ll say thank god we made Pakistan in 1947 :angel:

Why should only the Hindus be expected to follow this so called "true" secualrism? If Hindus start protesting against Muslims doing their jumma prayer on the road and blocking the traffic, as lets face it it causes public nuisance, would you still demand this "true" secularism? Stop being so biased all the time.

You have smaller issues of implementation. The thing about freedom is, either you get the concept or you don't. As most people explained, India's emphasis has always been harmony, not secularism. Pakistanis don't go for national harmony on any issue. It's either by the book or by the danda (stick) or of course by the corruption.

But as far as getting the concept of secularism is concerned we both are in the same boat. In Pakistan however, since I am exposed to it myself I feel we at least have a fight going on. We are not content with just harmony, till it is fair.

But still if you look in pure harmonious terms in respect to religion, we are 97% Muslims and having Muslim laws does promote harmony among the Muslims. We are fighting for secularism for the 3% (well actually more since many Muslims don't want to be judged on religion). 3% also amounts to millions of people. In India's case the issue is a lot more severe.

True we should follow true secularism. As a start we will serve both pork and beef from the same hostel kitchen prepared in the same utensils. Those who wants to eat can eat, others can take a hike.

True we should follow true secularism. As a start we will serve both pork and beef from the same hostel kitchen prepared in the same utensils. Those who wants to eat can eat, others can take a hike.

I'm sure people will be willing to bring their own utensils.

Dude all that rambling for nothing. If some Indians eat pork at a public place, how many Muslims pick up hockey sticks and lead pipes to go bash them?

Technically you are correct. The state spending more money to separate utensils over Muslim religious beliefs is wrong too. However in hostels money is collected from students for their food. People should get their money's worth. Otherwise you are not maintaining religious freedom by enforcing Muslims to eat pork after taking their money.

I'm sure people will be willing to bring their own utensils.

Using different utensils for different religions goes against the idea of secularism.

Dude all that rambling for nothing. If some Indians eat pork at a public place, how many Muslims pick up hockey sticks and lead pipes to go bash them?

This Beef festival is first of its kind in India. Lets wait till some nutcases organize pork festival.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom