What's new

Osama Dead. Obama Confirms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.. none of the picture shows more than 200 people.. out of 180 million.. you calculate the percentage.. you are Indian so you do know calculations right??.. all of you talk "figures" a lot..

Your only reason for posting this was the underlined part.. hilarious..

You don't need 180 million, or even mere 200, to propagate a highly destructive flawed ideology.

You need only 1 !

There was 1 such man, commonly known as Osama bin Laden. That 1 man brought this sad, shameful day to entire nation of 180 million.

Now read the posters, those 200 mourners say there will be many, many more Osamas. You should be angry, or sad, or frustrated. But no, you rather find it hilarious. Today, my friend, that right is reserved only for the Indians.

By the way, not all of those who are mourning would join the crowd. I have seen many do so online, within PDF.

That's a typical silly right-wing way of claiming a statistic.

Reminds me of a good quote.

Statistics are used by people the way a blind man uses a lamppost: for support rather than illumination.

I tend to agree with T-Faz.

What perplexes me is that how could a fugitive like OBL live in a military cantonment and none knew about the same for over 05 years!

We subcontinental chaps are great ones to gossip and so it is surprising that for 05v years none knew or even had a doubt

How is it that a foreign country capable of avoiding detection to hit a target within Pakistan?

Let us say the radars were jammed, it would have alarmed the Radar networking centre for Pakistan and people would have been alerted by this unnatural phenomemon. And if the radar jamming was in a specific route and area, such areas would be alerted.

Either the Pakistani establishment was in the know or there is something seriously wrong.

The Americans flew 40 minutes into the centre of Pakistan by dodging behind mountains, because Pakistani radars only exist in the middle of Pakistan and most of it is blind spotted ;)

The radars all broke down simultaneously, and the huge noise during the 40 minute firefight couldnt be heard due to Dharti Dharti being played above stealth machine gun fire.

;)

T-Faz.. i am really amazed at how freely and bluntly you question the integrity of PA, ISI and other intelligence agencies..

I think they are taking the right direction.. its a case of someone shouting at bigger loud speaker..

However, the questions are (which are supposed to be asked)

Why is the US account of operation changes every hour? Why are they not showing "gruesome" pictures of OBL when the other 3 are already everywhere and they are gruesome on the same level, if not more? Why are you so ashamed to ask these questions to US when their own media along with International media is asking these questions?

As far as you questions are concerned.. lets calmly analyse, shall we? (i'm a systems analyst by profession, thats the reason its difficult for me to digest)

1. It is a lie that PA was not aware of them coming in and going out.. the only mistake which PA made was to "allow" them to come in.. PA was not aware that the "hidden agenda" is to frame the integrity of Pakistan.. It is a lapse from planners and "counter" planners.. US here is one up.. PA never expected that they are going to claim that "they killed OBL" just because OBL was not there..

2. As i said, OBL was not there, yeah might be his family, but he was not there.. and as far his family is concerned, his brothers, sisters and elders sons have been living in western countries on and off.. so that also doesn't prove anything...

3. They were not suppose to stop that "incursion" just because it was NOT an incursion..

4. Agreed.. but i would say.. thats not army's fault.. Govt. needs to increase the income and internal security.. thats not army's responsibility

5. Based on what i said above.. this is what the whole world wants.. but is not in favor of Pakistan..

Hope you'll stop.. analyse.. examine.. and then judge..

None of your analysis Sir will stick till it has to do anything with facts. Even your government and army and isi has not refuted a single statement that US has made about the incident. Your ISI confirmed immediately after the attack on the morning of 2nd May that yes OBL was killed in the incident. Either you are reading off different wires or not ready to smell the shyt from the elephant in the room.

Pakistan army has not stated that the incursion was not from Afganistan. They have not stated that OBL was not killed (rather they have accepted the fact). They have not said that they have not failed at detecting the presence of OBL right next to the grooming school of their future officers.

The only thing that Pakistan army is currently denying is the culpability and collusion with OBL in safekeeping him. Their hands are full with that because they know that a lot of information was taken away. Expect more such silence on everything and intermittedn whimpers from Rehman (abbottabad mein choti choti baatein hoti rehti hain), Gilani (it is the world's failure), Zardari (Palin love, love me do..) and what not.

T Faz is bang right on the nail and if you cannot see it now, you will never see it or you probably do not want to see the fact. OBL was being reared as a strategic asset (your generals throw around the term as often as the nuclear bumb) by your army and ISI and they have been caught with their pants down. They are not even able to refute this charge because they pretty much know the information that US has taken away with the data heist. Else they would have been shouting pillar to post and activating their favourite sentiment of war mongering in Pakistan. Remember the hoopla that they raised in the Raymond Davis affair?

Whatever type of systems you analyse, GIGO holds true. You need to see beyond the BS that Pak army has been feeding you and system will work fine and without the stink.

T-Faz is right. It is time to reboot.

~~snipped~~

India has almost same number of Muslims, Indonesia, even more. Do they all show such empathy toward the hardliners?

No.

~~~snipped~~

You could not be more wrong?? Read below some news links.

'Who says Osama was a terrorist?'
Abantika Ghosh, TNN | May 2, 2011, 02.08pm IST

NEW DELHI: The most wanted terrorist of the world, Osama bin Laden's killing by American operatives in Pakistan has not pleased all in India. A section of prominent Indian Muslim leaders have come to question the claim that Laden was a terrorist.

As the news broke of Osama bin Laden's death in an American operation in Abbotabad in Pakistan, Muslim organisations in India initially reacted with incredulity, citing US operations in Tora Bora as a precedent where claims of Osama's death had later been proved to be false.

It took statements from home minister P Chidambaram and Pakistani MP Sherry Rehman to convince them of the veracity of these reports. Once the news sank in, the prominent Muslim leaders said that Bin Laden was definitely not a terrorist but a one-time American ally with whom relations had soured because he had lost his utility.

Syed Ahmed Bukhari, Imam of Jama Masjid said: "When did any court of law in the world convict Laden of terrorist activities. It is only America's assertion and that of the NATO that he was one. Why should we believe them. As for the government of India's reactions, I would want to know their views on what is happeninhg in Palestine even now when thousands of Muslims are being killed by Israel with the American help. The killing is a continuation of the US interference in Libya, Iraq and Palestine."

Maulana Arshad Madani, president of one faction of the Jamiat-ulama-i-Hind said: "Who created Osama? Americans did to exterminate the Russians. Now that their need has been fulfilled they term Osama who was at one point their best friend, a terrorist. It is symptomatic of the American way of functioning."

There was however some resentment about the fact that he was in Pakistan. Imam Bukhari says it proves the contention that ISI gives shelter to terrorists. "I am not saying Osama was a terrorist but the fact that outfits like JEM and Let have bank accounts in the US show that the Us and ISI jointly sponsor the acts of terrorism in India."

The latest barf that is coming from pig faced panetta is that after killing the unarmed people in the compound the helis did not fly back to afghanistan but instead flew to the USS Carl Vinsen.

Inside bin Laden's lair with SEAL Team Six - Forbes.com

The raiders scrambled aboard the remaining Black Hawk and a Chinook, bin Laden's body with them, and flew to the USS Carl Vinson ( from Abbotababd ) in the North Arabian Sea. The ground operation had taken about 40 minutes.

wow are these fucks in their senses that they can peddle around this story and expcet everyone to belive that the wasnt some sort of pre-arragment with the Pakistani authorities about their intrusions.

I was skimming through the news channels and most of them have just shut up about this issue as it now very clear that all there is more to hide about this op than there is to tell.

Sooner or later the real issues at hand will come to fore

Fuel prices are rising , I've seen here at the pump that its risen to almost 6 euros a gallon , in the US also it must be increasing also

Greece took a bailout for 65 billion euros
Ireland took a bailout for 100 billion euros
Portugal took a bailout for 110 billions euros
Icelandic people have refused to uphold the guarantee that their govermnet gave to the UK and the nethelands about pay back for the Icesave default , this is the first case of default on soverign debt

and to top it off the US is looking to cut a four trillion dollar deifict over the next 12 year ( thats what the white house spokesperson said yesterday )

The global economy is in trouble and no one can afford to ( even if they want to ) escalte conflicts any more.

He just couldn’t help it could he? Why let such an opportunity of lame point scoring to slip away?

INDIAN TROLLING AT ITS BEST

Nice way to start next round of talks of "mutual understanding & trust building"

While listening to Al Jazeera English, I was blessed with a live interview of this buffoon “Chidambaram”, based on his statement above, the newscaster asked him did he mean that the Pakistani establishment was hiding OBL?

To which Chidambaram, (sounding regal) said he was not in a position of making a “valued judgment on this question”.

Undeterred the Western newscaster re-phrased his question and ask him if he thought that Pakistani state was playing both sides?

Again sounding grim and serious, Chidambaram said “I cant comment on this…”

To which the reporter looked at the camera and failed to hide his smile while saying thanks to him as if saying “WTF was that statement for if you cant say anything valuable you puppet

WTH that reporter kept asking the same question, he must know that Childambram was only programmed to give that statement.
My hats off for Childambram.

These are the kind of articles that Pakistanis are going to have to live with.

Osama Bin Laden dead: Pakistanis burn US flags as backlash grows | Mail Online

First the tears, now the anger: Pakistanis burn U.S. flags as backlash over Bin Laden's death grows

These were the angry scenes across Pakistan today as Muslims staged protests against the killing of Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.

Hundreds of people marched through Multan, burning U.S. flags and waving placards as they warned the terrorist's death could produce many more radical figures to take his place.

It comes after crowds of weeping mourners were pictured offering funeral prayers for the Al Qaeda mastermind widely blamed for thousands of deaths at 9/11.
article-1383011-0BE64D4F00000578-591_634x423.jpg

Hate: Pakistani men burn a U.S. flag during angry protests in the city of Multan. Hundreds marched through the streets in protest at the killing of Osama bin Laden
article-1383011-0BE6535A00000578-333_306x423.jpg

article-1383011-0BE6526C00000578-683_306x423.jpg

Threatening: Demonstrators claimed that the killing of Bin Laden would produce many more terrorists to take his place

They will heap further pressure on the British government to justify the £650million aid package sent to a country where so many appear to hate us.

Only today Lashkar-e-Taiba - the militants behind the Mumbai terror attack - said Bin Laden's 'martyrdom' would not be in vain.

David Cameron has insisted it is in Britain's national interest to continue to co-operate with Pakistan in the fight against terrorism as debate intensified over a £650m aid package handed the country just weeks ago.

The Prime Minister said there were 'searching questions' for the Pakistani government to answer after U.S. special forces tracked down the Al Qaeda leader to a large villa complex close to the country's leading military academy.
article-1383011-0BE3980700000578-991_306x474.jpg

article-1383011-0BE3949400000578-202_306x474.jpg

Tears for a terrorist: Supporters of the religious party Jamatut Dawa weep while offering funeral prayers for Bin Laden in Karachi
article-1383011-0BE3957A00000578-670_634x475.jpg

Mourning: Supporters of Jamatut Dawa unite in prayers in Karachi. Prayer sessions were held across Pakistan for Bin Laden

He said the terrorist leader's ability to live in a large house there showed he had an 'extensive support network' in the country and it was right to ask 'searching questions' about that.

But in a statement to MPs, he stressed that Pakistan had suffered more at the hands of terrorism than any other nation.

'I believe it is in Britain's national interest to recognise that we share the same struggle against terrorism,' he said. 'That's why we will continue to work with our Pakistani counterparts on intelligence gathering, tracing plots and taking action to stop them.'

He acknowledged however the disclosure that Bin Laden had been living in a large house in the town of Abbottabad, 60 miles from the capital Islamabad, suggested he had a support network in the country.

'We don't know the extent of that network so it is right that we ask searching questions about it and we will,' he said.

‘Of course there are frustrations and questions that will be asked about who knew what in Pakistan and how could this man live in such a large house in such a comfortable-looking community so close to military installations.

In Westminster, politicians of all parties also expressed disbelief at denials from the country’s authorities that anyone knew Bin Laden was hiding in Abbottabad.

Tory Party chairman Baroness Warsi said: ‘I don’t think we can say that absolutely nobody, informally or formally, in Pakistan knew that Osama Bin Laden was there.’

Labour MP Paul Flynn said there had been ‘six years of treachery by powerful people in Pakistan’.

Mr Cameron sought to use the disclosure that bin Laden had apparently spent years living in comfort to debunk the 'myth' of the Al Qaeda leader as a brave guerrilla fighter.

'The myth of Bin Laden was one of a freedom fighter, living in austerity and risking his life for the cause as he moved around in the hills and mountainous caverns of the tribal areas,' he said.

'The reality of Bin Laden was very different - a man who encouraged others to make the ultimate sacrifice while he himself hid in the comfort of a large, expensive villa in Pakistan, experiencing none of the hardship he expected his supporters to endure.'

Mr Cameron sparked a diplomatic row last year by accusing Pakistan of 'looking both ways' on terrorism. But today he strongly defended the country's stance on stamping it out.

He said: 'As far as they were concerned, Bin Laden was a foreigner who had no business being in Pakistan, who brought nothing but misery to their country.'

He added: 'If we turn away from them and give up on them and say "This is all too difficult and complicated because we don't always get what we want", you are left with a nuclear power in danger of massive extremism and massive instability.'

‘What we do know is we should do everything we can to support the democrats in Pakistan who want the entire country to face the same way . . . and combat terrorism in every way.’

His intervention came amid fresh questions over Britain's huge aid fund to the country where the Al Qaeda leader was found.

The Prime Minister prompted dismay when he announced last month that Britain would pour £650million into Pakistani education.

As special prayer sessions for Bin Laden were held in towns and cities across Pakistan, a spokesman for Lashkar-e-Taiba, the militant group behind the 2008 Mumbai attacks described the fallen terrorist as a 'great person'.

Yahya Mujahid, spokesman for the leader Mohammad Saeed, said: 'Martyrdoms are not losses, but are a matter of pride for Muslims.

'Osama bin Laden has rendered great sacrifices for Islam and Muslims, and these will always be remembered.'

Amidst shouts of 'Down with America" and 'Down with Obama', around 1,000 of Saeed's followers held prayers in Pakistan's largest city of Karachi.

LeT, one of the largest and best-funded Islamist militant organisations in South Asia, is blamed for the November 2008 assault on Mumbai, which killed 166 people in India's commercial hub.

Its founder, Saeed, now heads an Islamic charity, a group the United Nations says is a front for the militant group.

Today Tory MP Philip Davies said the discovery of the terror chief in Pakistan had reinforced his view that Britain should not be giving money to them.

He told Mail Online: 'It seems to me that there are certainly some questions about how much Pakistani security forces knew about the whereabouts of Osama bin Laden.

'Why on earth we would want to be giving billions of pounds to them when there are suspicions they knew about Osama bin Laden's whereabouts for years, God only knows. It is not a country I think we should be giving money to.'

The huge cash injection for schools by the Department of International Development makes Pakistan the UK's biggest recipient of overseas aid.

International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell said: 'British aid to Pakistan is not just aid from Britain, but also aid for Britain. It is in Britain’s national interest to help tackle the root causes of extremism such as poverty, inequality and lack of education.

'Thanks to British taxpayers, another four million children will be educated over the next four years in Pakistan. If you are a child in Karachi, your chance of getting an education is currently worse than in any other city in the world.'

Mr Cameron also pledged to give the country highly sensitive military technology to combat roadside bombs.

Pakistan has repeatedly denied having any links to Al Qaeda, and reacted furiously when the Prime Minister accused it of ‘looking both ways’ on terrorism last year.

A year ago it also vehemently rejected suggestions the some officials may be harbouring Bin Laden and Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

Today, president Asif Ali Zardari insisted it had not given the Al Qaeda chief any protection - dismissing claims otherwise as 'baseless speculation'

'Pakistan had as much reason to despise Al Qaeda as any nation. The war on terrorism is as much Pakistan's war as it is America's,' he said.

He conceded the assassination was not a joint operation between his military and the Americans but said it was based on a decade of co-operation and partnership.

The US had been worried about Pakistani intelligence leaking details of the raid and Bin Laden being tipped off so did not seek permission.

Pakistani officials were only told once the U.S. Navy Seals had recovered the terrorist's body and left the country's airspace.

Pakistan even scrambled its air force to intercept the helicopters but they did not arrive in time to disrupt them.

White House counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan said: 'It is inconceivable that Bin Laden did not have a support system in the country that allowed him to remain there for extended period of time.

'We are going to pursue all leads to find out what kind of support system and benefactors that bin Laden might have had.'

Asked if he felt uneasy about the killing, Mr Cameron said he was satisfied that the operation was aimed at capturing the Al Qaeda leader - but with lethal force allowed if necessary.

'I don't think it is an eye for an eye. This man was responsible for literally thousands of deaths. The world is incomparably a better place without him in it,' he said.

'I think the operation was completely justified, lawful and right. We have to be very vigilant, particularly in the short term, because there will be dangers of reprisals from other parts of Al Qaeda or lone-wolf operators. But it is definitely a massive step forward in breaking the back of Al Qaeda and in defeating this terrorist network.'

oh man soo many people :woot: :rofl:

I tend to agree with T-Faz.

What perplexes me is that how could a fugitive like OBL live in a military cantonment and none knew about the same for over 05 years!

We subcontinental chaps are great ones to gossip and so it is surprising that for 05v years none knew or even had a doubt

How is it that a foreign country capable of avoiding detection to hit a target within Pakistan?

Let us say the radars were jammed, it would have alarmed the Radar networking centre for Pakistan and people would have been alerted by this unnatural phenomemon. And if the radar jamming was in a specific route and area, such areas would be alerted.

Either the Pakistani establishment was in the know or there is something seriously wrong.

I remember reading an article about OBL on CNN a few weeks ago. In the comments to that article you had Americans joking about how OBL was hiding in the US. Someone said that he might be at the Bush family ranch while others speculated they had seen him at their local gas station. So tell me, how is saying OBL was retired and living in Abbottabad for 6 years any different? Its quite hilarious if you think about it!

OTOH I used to live in a little island nation called Sri Lanka where the terrorist group LTTE managed to attack the national airport and blow up 4 airplanes. If you are smart enough you can attack even the most secure locations or hide in plain sight.

BTW the Quaid-e-Azam airport in Pakistan is quite unprotected. At least the back portion of it. Just a simple wire fence separates the airport from the road. You can even see the parked planes. If we had an org like the LTTE to contend with the airport would have been bombed ages ago.

I know indians are very keen that the afghan occupation continues but the american public is not , there was an article in CNN written by Wesley Clark about three reasons that the war in afghansitan should go on and there was a string of comments from US citizen that simply dont want to be be there anymore.

Those that throw around the term Afghanistan occupation. Are generally those that actually supported the Taliban during their reign of terror against the Afghan people. They are people who talk about how good the Afghan Taliban are. Yet would refuse to live under the same barbaric rules and laws if they were imposed on them

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/world/asia/05pakistan.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

Pakistani Army, Shaken by Raid, Faces New ScrutinyBy JANE PERLEZ
Published: May 4, 2011

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The reputation of the army, the most powerful and privileged force in Pakistan, has been severely undermined by the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden, raising profound questions about its credibility from people at home and from benefactors abroad, including the United States.

Pakistan Sees Shared Intelligence Lapse (May 5, 2011)
Pakistani Military Investigates How Bin Laden Was Able to Hide in Plain View (May 5, 2011)

New U.S. Account Says Bin Laden Was Unarmed During Raid (May 4, 2011) That American helicopters could fly into Pakistan, carrying a team to kill the world’s most wanted terrorist and then fly out undetected has produced a stunned silence from the military and its intelligence service that some interpret as embarrassment, even humiliation.

There is no doubt that the raid has provoked a crisis of confidence for what was long seen as the one institution that held together a nation dangerously beset by militancy and chronically weak civilian governments.

The aftermath has left Pakistanis to challenge their leadership, and the United States to further question an already frequently distrusted partner.

By Wednesday, members of Parliament, newspaper editorials and Pakistan’s raucous political talk shows were calling for an explanation and challenging the military and intelligence establishment, institutions previously immune to public reproach.

Some were calling for an independent inquiry, focused less on the fact that the world’s most wanted terrorist was discovered in their midst than on whether the military could defend Pakistan’s borders and its nuclear arsenal from being snatched or attacked by the United States or India.

“If these people are found to be incompetent, heads should roll,” said Zafar Hilaly, a prominent newspaper columnist.

Different questions were coming from Pakistan’s neighbors and Western allies, including the United States. In Congress, powerful lawmakers in charge of foreign military assistance delivered scathing assessments of the Pakistani Army as either incompetent or duplicitous, saying that renewed financial support was hardly guaranteed.

In Britain, Prime Minister David Cameron told Parliament it was unbelievable that the Pakistani authorities did not know that Bin Laden was hiding not far from the capital.

But the most urgent question of all is what to do about it, and whether the United States should continue to invest in a Pakistani military whose assurances that it does not work with terrorists carry less weight than ever.

Pakistani officials, who feel betrayed by the United States for not informing them in advance about the raid, are responding more defensively by the day.

The biggest question for Pakistan is whether the event prompts a reconsideration of its security strategy, which has long depended on militant proxies, including groups entwined with Al Qaeda.

American officials are certain to use the fact that Bin Laden had taken shelter in Pakistan to press the country for a clearer break from its past. Both sides have an interest in preserving some form of the status quo. Pakistan would like to keep the billions of dollars in aid that flow from the United States. The United States would like to prevent this nuclear-armed Muslim nation from turning more hostile, hosting terrorist networks and complicating efforts to end the war in Afghanistan. But the challenges ahead were revealed in how the outrage over the Bin Laden raid has cut differently in Pakistan and the United States.

For the United States, it has raised the issue of whether any assurance provided by the Pakistani military can be trusted, including the security of its nuclear arsenal. The army has insisted it is adequately protected from extremists, but has resisted security assistance from the United States that it considers too invasive. “We can press Pakistan until the cows come home on its nuclear program,” said Michael Krepon, a co-founder of the Stimson Center in Washington, which works on programs to reduce nuclear weapons. “But they are not going to do the things that we would like them to do that they don’t want to do.”

In Pakistan, commentators who consider the nuclear weapons the country’s most valued asset have raised another concern: In light of the American operation, are the weapons safe from a raid by the United States, or even India?

Meanwhile, the chief of the army, Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, and the head of the Inter-Services Intelligence agency, Lt. Gen. Ahmed Shuja Pasha, have remained silent about what they knew or did not know about Bin Laden’s presence.

They have both met with President Asif Ali Zardari since the American raid, but no mention has been made in public of those discussions. Civilian politicians have been virtually absent.

Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani left for France on Tuesday, but said Wednesday that he would cut short his trip and return home. Senior ministers in the cabinet failed to turn up in Parliament to offer any explanations on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Instead, the Foreign Office and the information minister, apparently on orders from the military, issued statements intended to explain the shortcomings.

In Parliament on Wednesday, Information Minister Firdous Ashiq Awan said the American helicopters had evaded detection by radar “due to hilly terrain” and use of “nap of the earth” flying techniques, an account that failed to comfort almost anyone.

The Foreign Office defended the fact that Bin Laden was not detected because the high security walls at his house in Abbottabad were in line with a culture of privacy. These scant explanations fueled more speculation.

One of the military’s biggest advocates, Kamran Khan, a journalist whose nightly television show garners big audiences, led the chorus: “We had the belief that our defense was impenetrable, but look what has happened. Such a massive intrusion and it went undetected.”

Mr. Khan posed the question on many Pakistani minds: “What is the guarantee that our strategic assets and security installations are safe?”

In some Pakistani quarters, the failure of the army and intelligence agencies to detect Bin Laden, or to do anything about him if indeed his presence was known, prompted calls for an overhaul of the nation’s strategic policies.

“Instead of making more India-specific nuclear-capable missiles, the funds and the energy should be directed to eliminating the terrorists,” said an editorial in the newspaper Pakistan Today.

The editor, Arif Nizami, said the American raid made a mockery of the Pakistani military’s bravura that its fighter jets could shoot down American drones. “You talk of taking out drones, and you can’t even take out helicopters,” Mr. Nizami said.

Some Pakistanis said they were more concerned about the fact that known terrorists were living in their midst than the violation of sovereignty by the Americans.

“The terrorists’ being on our soil is the biggest violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty,” said Athar Minallah, a prominent lawyer. “If Osama bin Laden lives in Abbottabad, there could be a terrorist in my neighborhood.”

@ Thomas
Yes ! Pakistan has supported Taliban just like USA supported them against Soviet Union. I think you have good look of History.

The 10 key myths about Osama bin Laden
CIA project? Drug runner? Arsenal fan? Debunking the myths surrounding al-Qaida's leader

1. Osama bin Laden was 'created' by the CIA

He did not receive any direct funding or training from the US during the 1980s. Nor did his followers. The Afghan mujahideen, via Pakistan's ISI intelligence agency, received large amounts of both. Some bled to the Arabs fighting the Soviets but nothing significant.

2. He had a huge personal fortune

Bin Laden was forced to leave any cash he had when he in effect fled Saudi Arabia in 1991 for Pakistan and then Sudan. His family cut him off. Nor would the inheritance from his hugely wealthy father have been divided into equal parts anyway. What Bin Laden did have was contacts, which allowed him to raise money with ease.

3. He was responsible for 1993 bombing of World Trade Centre

Ramzi Yousef, who was the main perpetrator of the attack, was probably working for Khaled Sheikh Mohammed who was an independent operator at the time. Mohammed only started working with al-Qaida in 1996 and even then kept his distance from Bin Laden.

4. He got money from drug running

No evidence for this whatsoever despite repeated claims – such as in the post 9/11 British government dossier on al-Qaida.

5. He never exposed himself to any danger

He did not single-handedly seize a short-barrelled AK-47 from a dying Soviet general as he sometimes claimed but numerous witnesses report that he was in the thick of fighting in Jaji in 1987 and again at the battle of Jalalabad in 1989.

6. He spent a lot of time in caves

In the late 1990s, for propaganda purposes, Bin Laden invited select journalists to meet him in caves near Tora Bora in eastern Afghanistan. However he lived in a much more comfortable compound a short drive away, near the former Soviet collective farm of Hadda owned by a local warlord. By 1999 he had moved to a complex of houses near Kandahar. When he was killed, he was living in a relatively comfortable detached house in Abbottabad, Pakistan. In between, there is no evidence that he spent any time living in caves. The rest of al-Qaida's senior militants appear to have lived in the semi-fortified houses that are common in the tribal zones.

7. He was a tearaway teenager who partied in Beirut before becoming religious.

There is no evidence for this either. Bin Laden appears to have been an intense, shy and pious youth who married young and spent an inordinate amount of time studying scripture.

8. He was near to dying of a kidney disease.

There are some reports – not least in the Guantánamo files – of renal problems but certainly not serious enough to kill him. It is more likely he had back problems caused by his height (around 6ft 5in) and relatively sedentary lifestyle.

9. He hid in Kashmir, was the leader of Chechen groups, was responsible for violence in the Philippines and in Indonesia, organised the Madrid 2004 attack and had an extensive network in Paraguay, sub-Saharan Africa and South Africa.

All these claims, made by various governments or intelligence services over the last decade have proved totally without foundation.

10. Bin Laden was an Arsenal fan

Despite fans reportedly chanting "Osama, woah-woah, Osama, woah-waoh, he's hiding in Kabul, he loves the Arsenal", Bin Laden was not a faithful of the north London club.

The 10 key myths about Osama bin Laden | World news | guardian.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom