What's new

Opinionated - China Chipping Away to Semiconductor Dominance

this shows how uneducated you are

J10C came in 2016 and Israel stopped co-operation in 1980s

Chinese fanboy now become a troll

You are such a silly ignorant.

F-16A is 4th gen AC with obsolete technology even doesn't have HMD, while J-10C is 4.5 gen AC.

You should thanks China, because now you can receive JF-17 block III with advanced AESA radar and IRST, the technology that F-16A doesnt have.

@waz, please take appropriate action to clean up a typical "China hating trolling tag team"=@aziqbal @denel
they're having a field day unleashing their religious based hatred everywhere thats China related, now even trolling off topic bashing in our "sticky thread" which we take pride of, thanks in advance
PS: hopefully they're not above the forum rules as some so-called title holders afterall.

so Pakistan is a nation of treasonous thieves per your own admission?
So you find one person’s post provocative and it takes a drop of a hat for you to start running your mouth against a country and a people who have been consistently friendly towards China.

Seems like a common theme of people living in the west. Both him and you.

Last edited:
So you find one person’s post provocative and it takes a drop of a hat for you to start running your mouth against a country and a people who have been consistently friendly towards China.

Seems like a common theme of people living in the west. Both him and you.

I said nothing of the sort, and it was not at the drop of a hat. Azibiqal has been insulting China for a year with no backlash.

In this particular thread, the conversation was thus:

1. He claimed that if there was no F-16 supplied to China from Pakistan, then there would be no JF-17 or J-10.

2. This implies US aircraft were supplied to China via Pakistan. Supplying equipment from an ally to that ally's adversary is a betrayal and is a serious allegation that nobody has ever brought up before.

3. I asked him to clarify the meaning of his words. At no time did I make any assertion regarding Pakistan nor did I agree that his allegations were true. He made the original allegations, not me. I was merely following his train of logic.

4. He doubled down on his assertion.

5. I then clarified for him the implications of his words, again, without putting my opinion into this. I only asked him what his own words meant.

In conclusion, I have nothing but respect for Pakistan. However, some overseas Pakistanis actually have deep shame towards Pakistan, as seen by their own words.

I said nothing of the sort, and it was not at the drop of a hat. Azibiqal has been insulting China for a year with no backlash.

In this particular thread, the conversation was thus:

1. He claimed that if there was no F-16 supplied to China from Pakistan, then there would be no JF-17 or J-10.

2. This implies US aircraft were supplied to China via Pakistan. Supplying equipment from an ally to that ally's adversary is a betrayal and is a serious allegation that nobody has ever brought up before.

3. I asked him to clarify the meaning of his words. At no time did I make any assertion regarding Pakistan nor did I agree that his allegations were true. He made the original allegations, not me. I was merely following his train of logic.

4. He doubled down on his assertion.

5. I then clarified for him the implications of his words, again, without putting my opinion into this. I only asked him what his own words meant.

In conclusion, I have nothing but respect for Pakistan. However, some overseas Pakistanis actually have deep shame towards Pakistan, as seen by their own words.
Yes, I understand but don’t drag the country and it’s people into it because of one person. Think of hundreds of others just on this forum standing shoulder to shoulder with China.

Overseas Pakistanis are living with in different environment and exposed to daily toxic propaganda and indoctrination. But it won’t be prudent to drag 220 million of your allies down because of a couple of people.

Yes, I understand but don’t drag the country and it’s people into it because of one person. Think of hundreds of others just on this forum standing shoulder to shoulder with China.

Overseas Pakistanis are living with in different environment and exposed to daily toxic propaganda and indoctrination. But it won’t be prudent to drag 220 million of your allies down because of a couple of people.

I agree, which is why I did not make any accusations against Pakistan. he did and when asked to clarify, doubled down on the accusation.

Loongson unveils in-house developed instruction set architecture LoongArch in historic breakthrough
Phate Zhang April 15, 2021

Chinese chip maker Loongson Technology on Thursday unveiled its fully in-house developed instruction set architecture, Loongson Architecture, or LoongArch, marking a major milestone for the Chinese IC industry.

Loongson was previously one of the key proponents of the MIPS instruction system. The move making it the latest company to abandon MIPS after Wave Computing's move to the RISC-V camp.

Loongson unveils in-house developed instruction set architecture LoongArch in historic breakthrough-CnTechPost

Loongson commissioned LoongArch to be evaluated by a leading third-party IP evaluator. Beginning in the second quarter of 2020, the parties invested hundreds of people in an in-depth comparative analysis of LoongArch against information and tens of thousands of patents related to major international instruction systems such as ALPHA, ARM, MIPS, POWER, RISC-V, and X86.

In January 2021, the evaluation organization concluded that LoongArch has designed its own instruction system design, instruction format, instruction encoding, and addressing modes.

The LoongArch instruction system manual is significantly different from the major international instruction systems mentioned above in terms of chapter structure, instruction description structure, and instruction content presentation.

The LoongArch infrastructure has not identified any risk of infringement of Chinese patents on the above-mentioned major international instruction systems, the evaluation concluded.

The CPU instruction system is the hardware and software interface of a computer, and is the specification of the binary coding format of the software instructions executed by the CPU.

At present, the most well-known ones are the x86 instruction system based on the Wintel ecosystem and the ARM instruction system based on the Android operating system.

Both the x86 and ARM instruction systems need to be "licensed" in order to develop CPUs compatible with them, and it is possible to develop products using licensed instruction systems, but it is not possible to form an autonomous industrial ecosystem.

RISCV is a completely open source instruction system, but it comes from the University of Berkeley. Therefore, Loongson Architecture is a historical breakthrough for the Chinese IC industry.

The CPUs developed by Loongson since 2020 all support the LoongArch architecture.

Its first Loongson 3A5000 processor chip supporting LoongArch architecture has been taped out, and a complete operating system based on the new architecture is already running stably on the 3A5000 computer.

Binary translation systems from other mainstream instruction systems to LoongArch have been demonstrated on the 3A5000 computer running complex applications based on other mainstream instruction systems.

Currently, Loongson has published the LoongArch infrastructure instruction system manual on a limited basis. Upon completion of further IP evaluation, including offshore patent analysis, Loongson will release a more complete LoongArch instruction system manual on a larger scale.

Loongson unveils in-house developed instruction set architecture LoongArch in historic breakthrough-CnTechPost

Last edited:
22:14, 17-Apr-2021
'Historic breakthrough': Chinese company unveils self-developed CPU architecture
CGTN

ac3b76ef6ba44fd8859a3a3879323f01.jpeg
File photo of a Loongson chip. /CFP

Loongson Technology, a leading Chinese chip company based in Beijing, unveiled on Thursday its fully self-developed CPU (central processing unit) architecture that uses an original instruction set, which has been hailed as a "historic breakthrough" by industry insiders.

The new infrastructure is named "LoongArch", short for "Loongson Architecture". It has passed the assessment of a leading third-party intellectual property evaluating agency, the company said.

An instruction set architecture (ISA) is the interface between computer hardware and software. It's the underlying architecture that supports the running of an operating system and a whole software ecosystem.

For example, the Windows operating system (OS) runs on U.S. company Intel Corporation's X86 architecture, and the Android mobile OS runs on ARM architecture developed by UK-based chip designer ARM Holdings.

The two best-known ISAs have been dominating on computers and smartphones worldwide since 2010, and both have very large industrial ecosystems including hardware like chips and software such as various applications.

Foreign CPU manufacturers have been using their ISAs as a tool to control the ecosystems and exclude competitors. Other companies have to pay royalties to get the licenses to develop CPUs compatible with them. If Chinese companies rely on those foreign ISAs, it's not possible for them to build an independent industrial ecosystem, according to the company.

"If we compare chip designing to writing articles, an ISA is like the language we use. Chinese people can write an article in English, but can never develop our national culture based on English," Hu Weiwu, chairman and chief scientist of Loongson, was quoted as saying by the Beijing Daily. He's also the chief engineer of the Institute of Computing Technology under the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).

The "LoongArch", which is an outcome of the company's 20 years of hard work and experience in CPU development and ecosystem building, has nearly 2,000 proprietary instructions, the company said.

It's also compatible with other mainstream ISAs, allowing the efficient operation of complicated programs written for other architectures.

So far, Loongson's CPU chip based on the new architecture, named "3A5000", has been taped out and is under internal test. Its processing performance is very close to that of mainstream products on the market, Hu said. A complete OS based on the "LoongArch" has also run stably on computers using the chip.

"Only with our proprietary ISA can we build a new pattern in the information technology industry and form our own industrial chain," Hu told the Science and Technology Daily.

Loongson Technology was jointly funded and set up in 2010 by the Beijing municipal government and the CAS, with the goal of industrializing the technological achievements of the CAS in chip research and development.

IEEE Spectrum @IEEESpectrum

Scientists at Beijing's Institute of Physics have made a nonvolatile memory that is 5000x faster than flash memory. It can also store multiple bits instead of just 0s and 1s.

Flash Memory's 2D Cousin is 5,000 Times Speedier
spectrum.ieee.org

11:13 PM · May 14, 2021

The "LoongArch", which is an outcome of the company's 20 years of hard work and experience in CPU development and ecosystem building, has nearly 2,000 proprietary instructions, the company said.

Two thousand instructions ! Why are so many necessary ?

So far, Loongson's CPU chip based on the new architecture, named "3A5000", has been taped out and is under internal test. Its processing performance is very close to that of mainstream products on the market, Hu said. A complete OS based on the "LoongArch" has also run stably on computers using the chip.

Where can I find more info on this OS ?

---

@fitpOsitive @ps3linux, so RISC-V and my own processor + OS project have a new rival. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom