What's new

[Opinion] Imran Khan has emerged as a capable leader and Pakistan is extremely lucky to have him

There is smart cheating here ….. the Trudeau scandal, trump in the US, balscouni in Italy, one of the french presidents and the Canadian senator Duffy scandal. It is said in the UK that our laws are made for the devil to rule yet the national interest is protected.

your comment shows how little you understand how the world runs. I suggest you read and learn more before getting into an argument with me, take that as advice from, your elder brother

k

With due respect sir. I think the debate is futile with someone of your mindset. You can very well merge into the ways of the world. Go with the "smart" flow! I bet Nawaz and Zardari also think they and their family is the "smartest" in Pakistan. I am sure they all feel very proud when they manage to get another few billions for ghost schools that they run on papers. They also feel smart when they secure double the funding for a flyover, underpass or a metro than they intent to actually pay for to their chosen contractors.

You can keep the smart advices and the ways of world that you have learnt to yourself elder brother. There are plenty of "elder" brothers in Pakistan who are just as smart as yourself. Very pleased with their own selves and with the few smart rupees/dollars they have made for their selves. They have ruined my country. If you were any able, your generation would have fixed it a little for us. I don't believe in any such "smart-ness".

I'd rather say that some decisions IK is taking, requires a vision. Only a person of acumen, strength and leadership skills can take such trajectory. Small people usually stick with the "smart" solution argument because they don't have the guts to go against the winds. They'd rather just be "smart" and go with the flow. Maybe your views are hindering your ability to grasp things. You can't appreciate the slow and painful correction because you are too impatient. You'd rather have a Panadol than treat the cancer!

the reality he is still the best we have got.. others are not even close.

How I wish that those who are talking big and projecting Imran Khan, despite the immense damage that he has caused to Pakistan, do come and actually live under the grand premiership of their beloved leader. The more I think, the more I am convinced that I too would have been singing Imran Khan's praises if I had been living abroad, for very very apparent reasons!

That some are still unable to comprehend that Imran Khan is worse than Nawaz Sharif and even Zardari, is just beyond regular comprehension now.

With due respect sir. I think the debate is futile with someone of your mindset. You can very well merge into the ways of the world. Go with the "smart" flow! I bet Nawaz and Zardari also think they and their family is the "smartest" in Pakistan. I am sure they all feel very proud when they manage to get another few billions for ghost schools that they run on papers. They also feel smart when they secure double the funding for a flyover, underpass or a metro than they intent to actually pay for to their chosen contractors.

You can keep the smart advices and the ways of world that you have learnt to yourself elder brother. There are plenty of "elder" brothers in Pakistan who are just as smart as yourself. Very pleased with their own selves and with the few smart rupees/dollars they have made for their selves. They have ruined my country. If you were any able, your generation would have fixed it a little for us. I don't believe in any such "smart-ness".

I'd rather say that some decisions IK is taking, requires a vision. Only a person of acumen, strength and leadership skills can take such trajectory. Small people usually stick with the "smart" solution argument because they don't have the guts to go against the winds. They'd rather just be "smart" and go with the flow. Maybe your views are hindering your ability to grasp things. You can't appreciate the slow and painful correction because you are too impatient. You'd rather have a Panadol than treat the cancer!
See I at no point claimed to be smart, I however have learnt with experience that easy fixes never work, there are long term structural changes that provide for an effective system.

Listen to dr Kaiser Bangali he will explain what is needed.

imran is a bit of a dictator without the power. Hie is flawed in believing that he know a lot. Unfortunately he does not. He has done some good things like Shulat khanum but does not have the vision to help the country. He did have opportunity just not the sense to seize the opportunity.

zardari and Benazir with all their weaknessss were helping the country with vocational training , where a good number of Technisian , Electricans and industrials mechanics would have helped paksitan , nawaz believed in increasing business and industrialization. Both were hurt by officer shai in our bureaucracy who wanted the delays in doing business to retain their power.

both governments were not focused on the economy as much as they should have been and decided to fight the military when they were not ready. They were not strategic. Friendship with india what a joke.

the thing imran could have was create a free police force and put his cronies in jail for what they are doing alas an opportunity lost . He could have also helped save paksitan by cutting red tape and allowing ease of business. See what eurdagan in turkey has achieved.

listen to ashir Azeem
As I said study and grow the country needs people like you who can think and don’t take. Anything from face value.

I do apologize for myself I took the easy way out and moved to a system where I could grow rapidly. All i can do now is provide my analysis as the price for growth is split loyalties to the place one lives

k

See I at no point claimed to be smart, I however have learnt with experience that easy fixes never work, there are long term structural changes that provide for an effective system.

Listen to dr Kaiser Bangali he will explain what is needed.

imran is a bit of a dictator without the power. Hie is flawed in believing that he know a lot. Unfortunately he does not. He has done some good things like Shulat khanum but does not have the vision to help the country. He did have opportunity just not the sense to seize the opportunity.

zardari and Benazir with all their weaknessss were helping the country with vocational training , where a good number of Technisian , Electricans and industrials mechanics would have helped paksitan , nawaz believed in increasing business and industrialization. Both were hurt by officer shai in our bureaucracy who wanted the delays in doing business to retain their power.

both governments were not focused on the economy as much as they should have been and decided to fight the military when they were not ready. They were not strategic. Friendship with india what a joke.

the thing imran could have was create a free police force and put his cronies in jail for what they are doing alas an opportunity lost . He could have also helped save paksitan by cutting red tape and allowing ease of business. See what eurdagan in turkey has achieved.

listen to ashir Azeem

As I said study and grow the country needs people like you who can think and don’t take. Anything from face value.

I do apologize for myself I took the easy way out and moved to a system where I could grow rapidly. All i can do now is provide my analysis as the price for growth is split loyalties to the place one lives

k

Little substance, a lot of frustration. And same old blame game, typical of our awam.

Who corrupted the police to the core? Who has had thousands and thousands of political appointments every year? Who had corrupted Judiciary and destroyed institutions to avoid being caught? The same PPP and PMLN. PIA destroyed, more than double staff in PIA per aircraft even when compared to emirates! Emirates! The highest ranking airline has 50% less staff per aircraft! Same goes for steel mill. Same goes for railways. Police and every other government department. Unlimited political appointments. Ghost workers. Ghost schools. When the publics were on receiving side of illegal benefits, they were all happy. All thought we are so smart. But now all of a sudden they are complaining! These impatient people have woken up from their hibernation just because finally they can feel the heat? When someone else's house was being burnt all of us thought, not my problem! Now that our own backyard is burning suddenly we are jumping and crying? Had to happen. Any person with political and economic understanding could see it coming.

Vocational training is a part of CPEC phase 2. Don't worry about that. Vocational training is neither visionary, nor revolutionary. It happened before. Its still happening.

Had haram aur haram khor awam hai. How can he fix the police overnight? He doesn't even have enough numbers in the parliament to change such laws. Do you remember PTI trying to amend laws related to govt servants. They can't be fired, just changed. PTI wanted ability to fire bureaucrats/civil servants that didn't perform. The law wasn't passed. Why? Because all political appointments would be removed from all over the government departments. Somebody's only reason for appointment is that he gets paid all year just to help in stealing of elections. That key pawn would be lost. That guy in ECP is the blood line for PPP, PMLN, for corrupt elements it would become difficult to survive otherwise. Thats the very reason a lot of people are in favour of Presidential system in Pakistan.

Ease of business ranking of Pakistan has grown several points and is better than India's now. Special economic zones have easy 1 window operations. IK was the first one who talked about it.

You should listen to channel PakistanNow and Muzamil Hasan, would help you understand what shit we were left in from a neutral interviewer:

There is a lot of good debate happening in Pakistan. Other than maray gae lutay gae! Mehngai, atta subsidy kar do. 10 rupay extra kama k AC walay store sy ataa nai lena! Pura din sastay atay k truck k pechay line men lag k sirf 10 rupay sasta aata zarur lena ha! No one is contributing anything to the country by winging. If you get time, do watch these videos. It would help you form a more neutral opinion of things. I try to watch both sides. Academic discussion, societal problems should not be limited to maray gaye lutay gae bit. We have to try a bit harder and look deeper into things. Listening to these hours long podcasts can be a step towards developing understanding. You can listen to these while driving/going for work. I will take out time and listen to your perspective/videos as well.

Last edited:
There is a lot of good debate happening in Pakistan. Other than maray gae lutay gae! Mehngai, atta subsidy kar do. 10 rupay extra kama k AC walay store sy ataa nai lena! Pura din sastay atay k truck k pechay line men lag k sirf 10 rupay sasta aata zarur lena ha! No one is contributing anything to the country by winging. If you get time, do watch these videos. It would help you form a more neutral opinion of things. I try to watch both sides. Academic discussion, societal problems should not be limited to maray gaye lutay gae bit. We have to try a bit harder and look deeper into things. Listening to these hours long podcasts can be a step towards developing understanding. You can listen to these while driving/going for work. I will take out time and listen to your perspective/videos as well.

It's easy to say this from our respective ivory towers on PDF, whether we live abroad or in DHA/Bahria back home. None of us has to suffer indignity in struggling to feed our kids, and imminent bankruptcy at the first sign of any health or other crisis.

If you had asked me what changes Imran Khan would bring when he came to power back in say 2014 when I supported and believed in the guy, I'd never imagine that we'd be saying that his economic performance will only marginally superior to previous governments, and that he will utterly and categorically failed to take on the elites who he's spent at least two decades railing against.

There's nothing visionary about an IMF bailout, or some piecemeal reforms because international creditors have a gun to your head. Is it necessary? Sure, but let's not oversell it. One of the issues I've wanted to write an essay about on PDF (despite the fact that my understanding of the issue is severely limited), is land reforms. We've been waiting on these to be completed since the inception of the state of Pakistan, we're still no closer today than we were in 1989. People complain about elite capture, but what are we as a nation, or this government for that matter actually doing about it? Answer: Absolute nothing.

It's easy to say this from our respective ivory towers on PDF, whether we live abroad or in DHA/Bahria back home. None of us has to suffer indignity in struggling to feed our kids, and imminent bankruptcy at the first sign of any health or other crisis.

If you had asked me what changes Imran Khan would bring when he came to power back in say 2014 when I supported and believed in the guy, I'd never imagine that we'd be saying that his economic performance will only marginally superior to previous governments, and that he will utterly and categorically failed to take on the elites who he's spent at least two decades railing against.

There's nothing visionary about an IMF bailout, or some piecemeal reforms because international creditors have a gun to your head. Is it necessary? Sure, but let's not oversell it. One of the issues I've wanted to write an essay about on PDF (despite the fact that my understanding of the issue is severely limited), is land reforms. We've been waiting on these to be completed since the inception of the state of Pakistan, we're still no closer today than we were in 1989. People complain about elite capture, but what are we as a nation, or this government for that matter actually doing about it? Answer: Absolute nothing.
Longtime
Hope you are doing well.

Root cause of every evil in developing countries is lack of affordable good quality education, and as well as a dearth of scientific temper. Nation builders have never been political leaders, it's the technologists, scientists, professors, entrepreneurs that really build the nation. Rest all is feel-good fluff.

These things require:

1. Stable economy
2. Stable political environment
3. Long tenure
4. Collective effort

Awam he 4 minute men cheen paan cheen paan shuru krdeti a? Corrupt politicians, mafias and bureaucracy ko kon sambhalay? None of it is present atm. If no one was hard on Nawaz's decades of tenure? Bhutto & cos decades of reign? Why our publics has got no chill? Because of media. No payments being made to media. No sub acha ha reports coming in.

Little substance, a lot of frustration. And same old blame game, typical of our awam.

Who corrupted the police to the core? Who has had thousands and thousands of political appointments every year? Who had corrupted Judiciary and destroyed institutions to avoid being caught? The same PPP and PMLN. PIA destroyed, more than double staff in PIA per aircraft even when compared to emirates! Emirates! The highest ranking airline has 50% less staff per aircraft! Same goes for steel mill. Same goes for railways. Police and every other government department. Unlimited political appointments. Ghost workers. Ghost schools. When the publics were on receiving side of illegal benefits, they were all happy. All thought we are so smart. But now all of a sudden they are complaining! These impatient people have woken up from their hibernation just because finally they can feel the heat? When someone else's house was being burnt all of us thought, not my problem! Now that our own backyard is burning suddenly we are jumping and crying? Had to happen. Any person with political and economic understanding could see it coming.

Vocational training is a part of CPEC phase 2. Don't worry about that. Vocational training is neither visionary, nor revolutionary. It happened before. Its still happening.

Had haram aur haram khor awam hai. How can he fix the police overnight? He doesn't even have enough numbers in the parliament to change such laws. Do you remember PTI trying to amend laws related to govt servants. They can't be fired, just changed. PTI wanted ability to fire bureaucrats/civil servants that didn't perform. The law wasn't passed. Why? Because all political appointments would be removed from all over the government departments. Somebody's only reason for appointment is that he gets paid all year just to help in stealing of elections. That key pawn would be lost. That guy in ECP is the blood line for PPP, PMLN, for corrupt elements it would become difficult to survive otherwise. Thats the very reason a lot of people are in favour of Presidential system in Pakistan.

Ease of business ranking of Pakistan has grown several points and is better than India's now. Special economic zones have easy 1 window operations. IK was the first one who talked about it.

You should listen to channel PakistanNow and Muzamil Hasan, would help you understand what shit we were left in from a neutral interviewer:

I promise I will watch these , as I am sure you will watch mine

k

Longtime
Hope you are doing well.

Root cause of every evil in developing countries is lack of affordable good quality education, and as well as a dearth of scientific temper. Nation builders have never been political leaders, it's the technologists, scientists, professors, entrepreneurs that really build the nation. Rest all is feel-good fluff.
Indeed, good to see you around and doing well.
I agree with your perception from a wider perspective, but in Pakistan, one of the root causes is political disenfranchisement. A peasant can't educate himself if he's living on the edge of povery, kept in check by an unaccountable elite that has captured the very essence of the state.

These things require:

1. Stable economy
2. Stable political environment
3. Long tenure
4. Collective effort

Awam he 4 minute men cheen paan cheen paan shuru krdeti a? Corrupt politicians, mafias and bureaucracy ko kon sambhalay? None of it is present atm. If no one was hard on Nawaz's decades of tenure? Bhutto & cos decades of reign? Why our publics has got no chill? Because of media. No payments being made to media. No sub acha ha reports coming in.

I only partially agree with your views and points here. Long tenures are not important for example. You can have a system whereby governments are re-elected every four years and have plenty of continuity of policy. What Pakistan lacks, and you've identified this but are perhaps instead looking for a solution in tenure, is a lack of political maturity, continuity, and maturity in institutions.

One of our most fundamental problems is that our system is extremely immature and not properly established, constitution gets thrown out of the window at will, judiciary is strong-armed by strong enough arms.

As for Nawaz, Bhutto, etc. Every time our establishment kicks them out, instead of removing them, they turn them into democratic martyrs and set the stage for their return. It happens every time, and gets worse with every iteration, the exact same thing is happening now.

In the 1950s we had politicians like GM Syed, AK Fazlul Haq, and Suhrawardy, this class of politicians was kicked out by power hungry civilian dictators and generals, thus people lost their representatives. Then we kept East Pakistan out of power and Bengalis disenfranchised, thus we lost half the country, while Bhutto clinged to power. Then when our establishment got tired of Bhutto who was a popular politician, they martyred him and in doing so they set up a generational dynasty of Bhuttos, starting with BB, then Zardari, and now Bilawal. Then our generals started calling all politicians scum and liars, replaced them with mullahs and industrialists (like Nawaz). Then they backed Nawaz and Mullahs against BB. And then eventually they got tired of both Nawaz and BB kicking them out of power. BB and NS were not allowed to return to Pakistan. But guess what resulted? They both came back, and now we have two political dynasties Sharif and Bhutto. Then came the IK saga, the establishment actively destabilised Nawaz and kicked him out. Did that end his career? No, he still leads his party, and now he is looking for a return, instead his daughter has now come forward as a possible party leader and successor.

You see, these games are on going. The elite need to step back or be forced back and allow the country to be governed by the normal course of democracy and politics. People will learn and they will eventually kick out these dynasties. Every time some benevolent general does it, they waste another decade... and in that decade we go back to square one, as I mentioned above, lack of continuity, immature political system and immature institutions.

This infernal cycle is ONE of the issues, the other big issue is elite capture. But again, I will write a thread on that some time starting with the subject of land reforms.

Last edited:
Indeed, good to see you around and doing well.
I agree with your perception from a wider perspective, but in Pakistan, one of the root causes is political disenfranchisement. A peasant can't educate himself if he's living on the edge of povery, kept in check by an unaccountable elite that has captured the very essence of the state.

I only partially agree with your views and points here. Long tenures are not important for example. You can have a system whereby governments are re-elected every four years and have plenty of continuity of policy. What Pakistan lacks, and you've identified this but are perhaps instead looking for a solution in tenure, is a lack of political maturity, continuity, and maturity in institutions.

One of our most fundamental problems is that our system is extremely immature and not properly established, constitution gets thrown out of the window at will, judiciary is strong-armed by strong enough arms.

As for Nawaz, Bhutto, etc. Every time our establishment kicks them out, instead of removing them, they turn them into democratic martyrs and set the stage for their return. It happens every time, and gets worse with every iteration, the exact same thing is happening now.

In the 1950s we had politicians like GM Syed, AK Fazlul Haq, and Suhrawardy, this class of politicians was kicked out by power hungry civilian dictators and generals, thus people lost their representatives. Then we kept East Pakistan out of power and Bengalis disenfranchised, thus we lost half the country, while Bhutto clinged to power. Then when our establishment got tired of Bhutto who was a popular politician, they martyred him and in doing so they set up a generational dynasty of Bhuttos, starting with BB, then Zardari, and now Bilawal. Then our generals started calling all politicians scum and liars, replaced them with mullahs and industrialists (like Nawaz). Then they backed Nawaz and Mullahs against BB. And then eventually they got tired of both Nawaz and BB kicking them out of power. BB and NS were not allowed to return to Pakistan. But guess what resulted? They both came back, and now we have two political dynasties Sharif and Bhutto. Then came the IK saga, the establishment actively destabilised Nawaz and kicked him out. Did that end his career? No, he still leads his party, and now he is looking for a return, instead his daughter has now come forward as a possible party leader and successor.

You see, these games are on going. The elite need to step back or be forced back and allow the country to be governed by the normal course of democracy and politics. People will learn and they will eventually kick out these dynasties. Every time some benevolent general does it, they waste another decade... and in that decade we go back to square one, as I mentioned above, lack of continuity, immature political system and immature institutions.

This infernal cycle is ONE of the issues, the other big issue is elite capture. But again, I will write a thread on that some time starting with the subject of land reforms.

This... highlighted portion is very important! You see, when some wonna be hero comes in. And tries to kick some corrupt behinds, it usually bounces back! Thats why I'm wary of Mr. @Khan vilatey's quick change and smart solution argument. There is nothing as a quick fix for a complex society and nothing as an overnight change. Thank goodness, IK knows that. The temptation to control government departments and keeping Nawaz imprisoned etc would have been great for him! But he did not step over the boundaries of an institution. You see... everyone talks about quick fixes and quick changes. Thank God IK is not doing this. He is patiently waiting for the due process. Election commission is not working properly, it is protecting interests of the corrupt opposition but we haven't seen harsh line from government. In case of NAB, we have seen poor prosecution. But patience have been kept, despite IK receiving all the criticism on himself. Change is a slow and continuous process. As its said, Allah bhi uss qoam ki halat nai badalta, jo apni halat khud na badlay. Those who tried to be one man show, made the institution weaker. People might have celebrated their intervention at that time. But when they left, they left a huge vacuum. And the vacuum was always filled by the incompetent and the corrupt.

I stand for positivity though. Pakistan needs positivity. And its masses must take responsibility. Abhi men puchun PDF py kitny log tax registered hen? Aur properly file krty en? And koi hidden cash sources nai en? Undeclared assets nai en? tou 99% filter hojaen gy. Wese India sy compare krna a. Tax filer ratio kabi compare karengy nai? Only 1% of Pakistanis are registered for tax in Pakistan! 22 crore men sy 22 lac log tax dete en sirf. Wo b chori krty hongy lazman. Entitlement chor k, people should work for the country. This somebody will come and fix it for me approach by the masses has to go. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom