What's new

Operation Rah-e-Rast (Swat)

* Taliban commander Ibne Aqil reported killed in Matta
* Nine soldiers also killed, seven in ambush on convoy in Mingora​

PESHAWAR: Jet fighters and helicopter gunships pounded Taliban hideouts and centres in various parts of Swat and Lower Dir on Thursday, killing 60 Taliban.

“We have carried out airstrikes today on known centres of militants killing around 60 [Taliban] in Swat and Lower Dir,” chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas told Daily Times by telephone from Islamabad.

Military sources said 12 Taliban were killed in Shamoozai area in Kabal tehsil of Swat and eight others in Malam Jaba. Fourteen Taliban were killed in Matta, Shahdheri and Kooza Cheena.

Taliban commander Ibne Aqil was also reported killed in counter-attack by the police when the Taliban attacked Matta police station, military sources said.

Nine soldiers: “In 24 hours, we lost nine soldiers and about 10 of them [were] injured,” General Abbas told AFP. Seven of the soldiers were killed when Taliban ambushed a convoy at the entrance to Mingora.

Two soldiers were killed in the valley north of Matta,” the military spokesman told the news agency.

In Lower Dir, district administration officials said the Taliban abducted 11 paramilitary troops after attacking the Malakand Levies Fort in Chakdara. They said three soldiers had been killed in the attack.

Authorities agreed in February to a Taliban demand for the introduction of sharia law in the former tourist valley but the Taliban refused to disarm, and spread out of Swat into neighbouring districts.

The advance raised alarm and led to accusations the government was capitulating to the Taliban.

Security forces launched an offensive on April 26 to expel the Taliban from two of Swat’s neighbouring districts, Lower Dir and Buner.

Security has deteriorated sharply in Swat as armed Taliban started patrol in the restive valley.

The International Committee of the Red Cross warned that a humanitarian crisis was escalating in the area, AFP reported. It said the government had made preparations for up to half a million displaced from Swat.

The Taliban have claimed to control “more than 90 percent” of Swat, it said. staff report/afp

LAHORE: The US House Appropriations Committee has approved $1.9 billion in total assistance for Pakistan, which includes aid for counter-insurgency and economic and security aid, for the next fiscal year beginning October 1, 2009, a private television channel said on Friday.

Another $700 million have been allocated for Pakistan in the 2010 budget of the Pentagon for training and equipment to improve Pakistan’s counterinsurgency capability, according to a report by The Washington Post, the channel added. daily times monitor

LAHORE: The US House Appropriations Committee has approved $1.9 billion in total assistance for Pakistan, which includes aid for counter-insurgency and economic and security aid, for the next fiscal year beginning October 1, 2009, a private television channel said on Friday.

Another $700 million have been allocated for Pakistan in the 2010 budget of the Pentagon for training and equipment to improve Pakistan’s counterinsurgency capability, according to a report by The Washington Post, the channel added. daily times monitor

Very Funny , Pakistan need minimum 10 Bill USD to control insurgency.

PA and GOP should take in confidence all pushtoon tribes in confidence to defeat jehadi mullahs planted in NWFP by US(Regan) and Zia regimes.

There are many other armed oraganisations in Pakistan should also be banned and rooted out immediately from our soil.

Operation clean up should continue uptill all terrorist religious and political organisation eliminated.

Nation need comprehensive operation cleanup.Kala sahib and wadera,chaoudary,malik khan all should be brought to justice.then peace can be restored in Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing permanent can happen until Pakistani awam rise and come to consensus
on positive side the this worst situation is that awam is waking up. its time intellectuals to come fwd and help to cleanup the mess created by Taliban-mullah- elite of Pakistan once for all
and remember Pakistan was a dream...which still want to be reality...lets make this land which we got after so much sacrifice a real Pakistan which our forefathers dreamed

By Ismail Khan
Saturday, 09 May, 2009

PESHAWAR: Army Chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani burnt the proverbial midnight oil, spending the early morning hours on Thursday with his senior military aides at the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi, to give final touches to the operational plan of Rah-i-Haq-II in the militancy-plagued Swat.

Barely a few hours later, he told his commanders at the 118th Corps Commanders’ Conference that ‘the present security situation requires that all elements of national power should work in close harmony to fight the menace of terrorism and extremism’.

The plan to ‘fight the menace of terrorism and extremism’ in Swat had begun in the right earnest. That day, when Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani went on the national television to announce a full-scale military operation against militants in Swat, the military had already swung into action to hit some of the targets selected earlier in the day.

Much water has flown under the bridge; the military wants us to believe. The action, this time, it says, will be decisive. But let there be no illusion, we are warned, this is going to be a long and hard battle.

The militants, said to be numbering 4,000, further reinforced by their comrades in arms from Bajaur led by Maulana Faqir Mohammed (a key lieutenant to the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan chief, Baitullah Mehsud) who had agreed to lay down arms and surrender to the government in a peace deal with tribal elders in March, have virtually taken over the entire Swat valley.

All major roads, including those leading into the regional headquarters of Mingora, have been heavily mined. Militants have descended from their mountain top positions and moved into urban areas, raising the spectre of an urban guerrilla warfare that may entail a virtual house-to-house combat and cause collateral damage.

There were few takers of the NWFP government peace agreement with Maulana Sufi Mohammad on February 16 because of scepticism about the ability of the hardline cleric to persuade militants to lay down arms and help restore the writ of the state.

Senior military officers and leaders of the ruling political party in the NWFP now say that they were never convinced about the ability of Sufi Mohammad to deliver, but the Nizam-i-Adl Regulation, 2009 was something that was necessary to address the aspiration of people in Malakand.

By all accounts, the militants seized the opportunity to take over the remaining few areas outside their control and make ingress into the neighbouring districts of Lower Dir and Buner. A further push would have brought them to the brink of Peshawar valley.

POLITICAL SUPPORT
Perhaps the only mileage, argue backers of the now dead peace agreement, is the ‘political disarming’ of the Taliban in Swat by denying them the slogan of fighting for sharia. And this has, without any doubt, brought with it the much-needed and crucial political and public support to deliver the knock-out punch on the militants in the valley.

But this has come at a terrible cost of losing large swathes of territory to the militants, a further expansion of the war-theatre and exodus of hundreds of thousands of people.

QUESTIONS COMES TO MIND
Did the government err in its judgment by betting on the wrong horse in the shape of Maulana Sufi Muhammad? The answer is an unequivocal ‘yes’.

Why did the government have to wait as the Taliban reinforced their ranks and continued with their activities leaving little doubt as to their designs to expand in all directions, not just the neighbouring districts but also threatening to cut off the strategic Karakoram Highway? A little further push and they would have been sitting on top of Pakistan’s biggest hydel-power generating stations.

Furthermore, why did the government have to wait, instead of taking immediate action when intelligence reports poured in, bringing into question the role of the now-former commissioner of Malakand in the militants’ spillover into Buner?

In the larger context, why did the government not make an accurate assessment of the Taliban’s expansionist designs and the possible fallout of the peace agreement in Swat on other districts? After all, this was not the first agreement and not the last one to collapse.

Perhaps the biggest conspiracy against Pakistan, as one commentator put it, is not how the world powers want to dismember the country but the incompetence of those at the helm. ‘We are reacting to the events and not responding to the threats,’ the commentator said.

Apparently, complacency gave way to urgency and seriousness when reports of a Taliban advance within 60 miles of the federal capital triggered alarm bells in the corridors of power.

But as the military machine lumbers into the militant- and mine-infested Swat with fresh force induction from Mingora and adjoining Shangla district, senior military officials say they now have better intelligence and better plans to root out militancy.

Aware of the public perception that the military had been playing ducks and drakes with opportunities to root out the Taliban, senior military officers say their mission is very clear; eliminate the militants and wrestle back control of the lost valley for the government.

On the face of it, the plan seemed pretty tight, including force deployment, choking off supplies lines, throwing a security ring to ensure there is no spillover. But the success of the military operation may hinge on factors beyond the military control.

First, the speed at which the military offensive is taken forward and the success it achieves. The longer the military operation continues, the higher will be the risk of fatigue in public and political support. Any setback in the initial stages may prove to be counter-productive both in terms of morale and public support.

Second, and more importantly, the ability or inability of the military to take out the core leadership would not only largely determine the shape and direction of the battle in Swat but also the credibility of the action and support of the people in Swat in this high-stake war.

Perhaps equally critical, says one analyst, to the success of the military operation will be the handling and rehabilitation of the internally displaced people from Malakand.

And last but not the least, the ability of the government to handle the possible fallout and reaction of the TTP leadership elsewhere, mainly of Baitullah Mehsud, in the form of suicide bombings and other terrorist attacks, and to hold, sustain and further consolidate public support, will play a critical role in shaping up events in Swat.

As the military enters its third round of action in Swat, the battle is crucial not for the military but also for the political leadership to establish not just the writ of the state but also their credibility in the eyes of an increasingly sceptical and cynical public to improve not just security but also governance.

What has changed since january 2009? Why the offensive now?
I think that military force is the way to deal with taleban but...This is the fifth offensive in the region (the three Rah-e-Haq and the initial deployment of FC troops), and the taleban are still fighting.

Why the peace accord with Sufi Mohammad? Somebody believed that Fazlullah's objetive was the Nizam-e-Adl regulation? Fazlullah obviously has used the peace deal to reorganize and expand his forces over Malakand, as in Dir or Buner. What has done the Government? has prepared at least refugee camps for the expected displaced?

I hope the Pakistani Army will defeat the Taleban in Malakand, but the previous operations in North and South Waziristan, Mohmand, Bajaur and Swat don't make me very optimistic.

P.D.: excuse me if my english is not very good, i'm trying to improve it. :coffee:

Taliban vows to 'eliminate' Pakistan's top leadership

ISLAMABAD: Angered by Pakistan government's decision to launch an all out war against them, the Taliban has vowed to "eliminate" country's top
leadership including President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and their close family members.

"We thought that being a member of a religious family, Gilani will support our demand of implementing Sharia in the Malakand division but instead he has announced an all-out war against us, which has angered our commanders as well as fighters," an unnamed Taliban commander told The News daily.

The militant commander, who spoke to the newspaper by phone, said after Gilani declared during an address to the nation on Thursday that the Taliban would be wiped out from the Swat Valley and adjoining areas, the militants had started planning to "eliminate the top leaders of the ruling alliance, including President, Prime Minister and their close family members and aides".

The commander said Gilani's hometown of Multan and tomb of former premier Benazir Bhutto might also be targeted by the militants.

"Besides, the personnel and installations of security forces, we have now also included civilian rulers in our hit list. We will definitely need some time to plan our actions but it is not impossible for us and we have all the means to implement our plan of attack anywhere in Pakistan," he claimed.

Taliban vows to 'eliminate' Pakistan's top leadership - Pakistan - World - The Times of India

I think that military force is the way to deal with taleban but...This is the fifth offensive in the region (the three Rah-e-Haq and the initial deployment of FC troops), and the taleban are still fighting.

Why the peace accord with Sufi Mohammad? Somebody believed that Fazlullah's objetive was the Nizam-e-Adl regulation? Fazlullah obviously has used the peace deal to reorganize and expand his forces over Malakand, as in Dir or Buner. What has done the Government? has prepared at least refugee camps for the expected displaced?

I hope the Pakistani Army will defeat the Taleban in Malakand, but the previous operations in North and South Waziristan, Mohmand, Bajaur and Swat don't make me very optimistic.

P.D.: excuse me if my english is not very good, i'm trying to improve it. :coffee:

we have had lots of discussion on this point ..... suggest go through that to understand something that even I have not understood till date

Post #48 talks about this little.

Very Funny , Pakistan need minimum 10 Bill USD to control insurgency.

mate i guess we should be thankful at this point in time... it has now become our war and lets appreciate those who step fwd and help us. lets not go into past and start blamin US, atleast for now.

Kill all the terrorist and bring Peace and Islam to SWAT. I 100% support this action, To find and kill all the terrorist, Possible. Pakistan zinda abad Pak Fooj Painda Bad

terrorist took false advantage of the peace agreement now it is the time to payback them
they are fulfilling the agenda of enemies of pakistan

they talk about Islam but they are not aware of its teaching
we should work to improve the image of ISLAM and PAKISTAN

Back
Top Bottom