What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

Aren't you over-reacting a bit?

If you have an issue with the central govt employing Hindi as a means of communication (other than English), you seem to have woken up a little late. Isn't it already the norm for most ministries and central government agencies to have websites which are available to netizens only in Hindi and English. You should have been up in arms, threatening regional discord, disparity and discrimination much earlier.

Other than perhaps symbolism, the latest move to encourage Hindi on social media is hardly going to have any impact on our freedom to continue to learn, read and speak the relevant regional language. Besides, I highly doubt that the modi administration, which has it hands full with the task of reviving the economy would want to toy with such issues. After the massive mandate, the risk-reward ratio in terms of political capital just does not warrant reminiscing the ugly developments of the 60s.

Relax my south indian brother.

And PS - we don't have very many high paying jobs up here that require hindi. English all the way, my brother.
No worries my "INDIAN BRO"....Not sur if you are from North, South, East or West.(.I dont care)..The whole agitation in TN is just being proactive rather than reactive....kudos to nipping the idea in the bud.

Late 1960s right ? Nothing like that is happening in the present right ? If it happens then you have every right to protest. Just don't insult other languages.

For high paying jobs in the North, you need to know good English , not Hindi :)
For BJP this could be disturbing the beehive.
Not at all....BJP has never had an absolute majority before....they are taking baby steps to understand the power that they have ...I hope they understand the term..."Power corrupts..Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Last edited:
What reality what facts ? Except for your verbal diarrhea and severe case of inferiority complex you haven't shown anything here. Again nobody asked you to learn Hindi compulsorily. Just a figment of your imagination arising from your insecurities.

Omg, please tell me your definition of inferiority complex.. you are having extreme case of comprehension disability

Congress was decimated because it tried to force hindi on us.. now BJP wants to lose its meagre 5% vote share too..

Instead of bringing development to hindi belt, Modi is showing his gratefulness for their vote by promoting their language. what a disappointment

Omg, please tell me your definition of inferiority complex.. you are having extreme case of comprehension disability

Anybody who exhibits the kind of insecurities that you do without any basis and resorts to insults and denigration rather than logical discussion in clearly suffering from inferiority complex.

they are based on english so we learnt it..

Hindi however, well u know hindi
if u are so attached and proud of ur tamil ..then why learn English...
thats a insult to a 3000 year old language . u people have no problem learning a.language which is a hybrid of many languages be it Greek, Latin, Hindi, Spanish,French and many other.
where is ur sense of culture and tradition ...

If you actually "walk" out of Tamil Nadu, you are likely to still be in areas where Hindi is not the main language. And if you are flying, I doubt most from Tamil Nadu would pick Hindi speaking areas as their destination. Those who actually might have to learn Hindi for their livelihood, mainly from the lower classes, probably won't have much chance of learning it at school since they are likely to be poorly educated.

Whether it will prove useful or not is a question for time to answer, (Japanese, German or Chinese may prove more useful, who is to know?) It is simply that whether imposition is acceptable or not should & can be decided only by non-Hindi speakers, the opinions of Hindi speakers on such matters is pointless just as the opinion of Tamil speakers would be if the question was about imposition of Tamil in the rest of the country

What's wrong is this; it was happening anyways with any government interference. Movies & TV have made Hindi penetration & its understanding possible, something that no diktat could ever have. Now, we risk going back in time where resistance to hindi will be greater when it was almost non-existent. It is a case of being very poorly served by those who went crazy on language just now.
dude i have been to south india and have done fairly well with my hindi... so, i guess most southee understand hindi...the main purpose of having a common tongue is to unite the whole nation ... its not imposing ..but just a tweaking... no body said from tomorrow no southern language is allowed ...but it only means u should learn Hindi too as it will be a very useful tool to communicate with other people..across nation...
if u want to learn Chinese or french or German ..no body is stopping u..feel free to learn...

if u are so attached and proud of ur tamil ..then why learn English...
thats a insult to a 3000 year old language . u people have no problem learning a.language which is a hybrid of many languages be it Greek, Latin, Hindi, Spanish,French and many other.
where is ur sense of culture and tradition ...

as i said 100s of time and still its not entering u..

english is useful economically , hindi aint..

we don wanna learn a "hybrid" unless its useful monetarily .. else we will learn only classical languages like tamil, sanskrit , telugu or persian for their antique and quality literary work

Anybody who exhibits the kind of insecurities that you do without any basis and resorts to insults and denigration rather than logical discussion in clearly suffering from inferiority complex.

facts will sound insults when u don't wanna accept it...

when hindi, and its speakers can think of being pan-indian language by force,
it needs to be shown its place by talking in the level it speaks..

By your own yardstick, why learn any other languages, if they are not profitable, monetarily?
For that matter, how would Tamil or any other Dravidian languages or learning even Indo-Aryan languages profit you?

Anyhow, some people quoting the Official Languages Act of 1963 haven't read it thoroughly. It provides for English, in addition to Hindi, to be used indefinitely for all official GoI purposes. There is also a clause wherein GoI can promote use of Hindi language

"The Constitution of India designates a bilingual approach for official language of the Government of India employing usage of Hindi written in the Devanagari script, as well as English"
Article 343. Official language of the Union-

(1) The official language of the Union shall be Hindi in Devnagari script. The form of numerals to be used for the official purposes of the Union shall be the international form of Indian numerals.
(2) Notwithstanding anything in clause (1), for a period of fifteen years from the commencement of this Constitution, the English language shall continue to be used for all the official purposes of the Union for which it was being used immediately before such commencement:

Provided that the President may, during the said period, by order authorise the use of the Hindi language in addition to the English language and of the Devnagari form of numerals in addition to the internationl form of Indian numerals for any of the official purposes of the Union.

(3) Notwithstanding anything in this article, Parliament may be law provide for the use, after the said period of fifteen years, of-

(a) the English language, or
(b) the Devnagari form of numerals,

for such purposes as may be specified in the law.
And this:
CHAPTER II - REGIONAL LANGUAGES

Article 345. Official language or languages of a State- subject to the provisions of articles 346 and 347, the legislature of a State may by law adopt any one or more of the languages in use in the State or Hindi as the Language or Languages to be used for all or any of the official purposes of that State:

Provided that, until the Legislature of the State otherwise provides by law, the English language shall continue to be used for those official purposes within the State for which it was being used immediately before the commencement of this Constitution.

Article 346. Official languages for Communication between one State and another or between a State and the Union- The language for the time being authorised for use in the Union for official purposes shall be the official language for communication between one State and another State and between a State and the Union :

Provided that if two or more States agree that the Hindi language should be the official language for communication between such States, that language may be used for such communication.

So what exactly is your problem?

dude i have been to south india and have done fairly well with my hindi... so, i guess most southee understand hindi...the main purpose of having a common tongue is to unite the whole nation ... its not imposing ..but just a tweaking... no body said from tomorrow no southern language is allowed ...but it only means u should learn Hindi too as it will be a very useful tool to communicate with other people..across nation...
if u want to learn Chinese or french or German ..no body is stopping u..feel free to learn...

Err....you understand what it is that you are implying? S.Indians have to learn Hindi so that others need not bother learning anything other than their own language? That should be the choice of S.Indians alone, shouldn't it? After all if you want to understand in a common language, you could just as easily all agree to learn English. The world will be a far more easier place too.

As for you suggesting that s.Indian languages will still be allowed, that is actually very funny. It is almost as if you are offering them a favour. Not likely to happen. In any case, S.Indians speaking Hindi was not the point on debate. That certainly won't happen by any diktat. This is a administrative decision that now seems to have been walked back after the backlash they received.

Err....you understand what it is that you are implying? S.Indians have to learn Hindi so that others need not bother learning anything other than their own language? That should be the choice of S.Indians alone, shouldn't it? After all if you want to understand in a common language, you could just as easily all agree to learn English. The world will be a far more easier place too.

As for you suggesting that s.Indian languages will still be allowed, that is actually very funny. It is almost as if you are offering them a favour. Not likely to happen. In any case, S.Indians speaking Hindi was not the point on debate. That certainly won't happen by any diktat. This is a administrative decision that now seems to have been walked back after the backlash they received.
dude u can live in all ur jingoism ... but the truth is u can't stop Hindi penetration in south...ur shouting and propaganda can weaken the process but cannot stop it... the reason being india has become a open market and there is a tremendous exchange of north and south Indian people...across the country...
why should anyone be barred from learning any language ... if tamil is ur mother tongue u can learn it and i respect it...but if we want a United and strong india, single language which everyone can understand need to be have in our mechanism...
u want to make English...how many people understand English today in india except in cities .. even in cities many people don't know this...hardy 10% of indian population is fluent in English....where as Hindi has a penetration of more that 60-70% of population of india....ppenetration doesn't mean its their mother tounge but people can understand it ....

we don wanna learn a "hybrid" unless its useful monetarily .. else we will learn only classical languages like tamil, sanskrit , telugu or persian for their antique and quality literary work
damn u are thick...
how will tamil telgu and persian going to help u monetarily....
but even from economic point of view Hindi is useful...ib many ways...
but dont worry i know u are nt willing to understand it ..di leave it here...

dude u can live in all ur jingoism ... but the truth is u can't stop Hindi penetration in south...ur shouting and propaganda can weaken the process but cannot stop it... the reason being india has become a open market and there is a tremendous exchange of north and south Indian people...across the country...
why should anyone be barred from learning any language ... if tamil is ur mother tongue u can learn it and i respect it...but if we want a United and strong india, single language which everyone can understand need to be have in our mechanism...
u want to make English...how many people understand English today in india except in cities .. even in cities many people don't know this...hardy 10% of indian population is fluent in English....where as Hindi has a penetration of more that 60-70% of population of india....ppenetration doesn't mean its their mother tounge but people can understand it ....

damn u are thick...
how will tamil telgu and persian going to help u monetarily....
but even from economic point of view Hindi is useful...ib many ways...
but dont worry i know u are nt willing to understand it ..di leave it here...

hindi vs regional language is a never ending debate, but english can get you job, while hindi cannot. i foresee more people learning english in future for this reason, an advantage not enjoyed by hindi.

hindi vs regional language is a never ending debate, but english can get you job, while hindi cannot. i foresee more people learning english in future for this reason, an advantage not enjoyed by hindi.

And we need to work hard to remove this distinction of the English. India is the only major economy where a foreign language gets so much more importance than the national language.

And we need to work hard to remove this distinction of the English. India is the only major economy where a foreign language gets so much more importance than the national language.

that is a different debate altogether. but mushrooming of so many english medium schools tells that the influence of english in india is going to increase not decrease. forget hindi, many people even cannot read thier own mother tongue

i dont know why tamil people are making this a issue...its not a debate to start with...govt. only said to have govt. affairs in hindi and that too at higher level...

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom