What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

Probably true but doesn't mean much if people are going to resent imposition.

If that is true (and i happen to believe the last few years have expanded Hindi's reach enormously), why bother with silly diktats that are only going to be counter productive. Anti--Hindi feeling had almost died, now the very guys who want to promote Hindi are resurrecting it. Eventually they will have to buckle, there are too many states who even if they are not opposed to Hindi, will fight its imposition (& it is not only TN) which in any case cannot happen (the most that will happen is that the Union government will eventually have more people from Hindi speaking areas alone, hardly a good thing) but no one, anywhere in the south will pick Hindi instead of English, they may understand Hindi but given a choice they will pick only English. Heck they pick English over the local languages that they know, let alone Hindi which they have to learn. That position is now ratified by a supreme court order on the rights of parents to choose medium of instruction. Not even the central government can do anything about that.

As i said before, absolutely pointless.

The moves are directed more towards the International audience and the Brown Sahibs than the non-Hindi speakers in India. Alas only if our people could understand it. The major targets are the people belonging to the Lutyens' club, there is no better way of humiliating them them than making English irrelevant.

The move is directed towards killing the class-factor associated with English.

There will be no imposing of any language on anyone ..but creating a barrier by not allowing the children to learn national language is the problem ..i want to learn tamil to open myself to another world of literature ..but restricting young minds is not gonna do good for their bright future ..

I don't think most of the non-Hindi speakers learned Hindi like we learn English in schools. Hindi is a language which comes naturally to us because it belongs to us. What we need to ensure is that all Indians must learn at least two Indian official languages.

If you have to read & write Hindi, you would have to learn it in school. Otherwise you will have a basic language knowledge(especially if you reside outside Hindi speaking areas), not something relevant to this diktat being debated. And Hindi does not come any more naturally to non-Hindi speakers than Tamil would to Hindi speakers. Familiarity is what helps. (btw, for many people in major cities who have married outside their region,assuming one non Hindi speaking partner, English could well be the main language at home)

As for most Indians learning two Indian languages, let's see when that happens. Won't happen unless you consider English another Indian language. What other Indian languages do Hindi speakers learn?

Last edited:
For being Indian need not know Hindi

we not asking for English either

we asking that dont impose Hindi on us & start using Regional languages also in center

Not possible.Entire NI area and a good number of NE area know hindi very well.I dont propose the usage of malayalam in Centre.It is people choice.This all noise is indeed BS.
South India is almost nearer to developed status.Modi himself a Gujarati But he know Hindi very well like his mother tongue.
Next phase of development will happen in Hindi belt.And most of SI must know if you need a job in N I in that case.No one impose anything it will be always your choice.We have 28 states and languages.After Hindi Bengali is the next language.they dont have aby problemdue to this decision and we alsi dont have except Tamils.

The major targets are the people belonging to the Lutyens' club, there is no better way of humiliating them them than making English irrelevant.

The move is directed towards killing the class-factor associated with English.

Won't happen, the march of time cannot be reversed. English is already the chosen language, no diktat will ever reverse it. Do you believe that there is anyone in S.India who will give up all that English has to offer, to learn Hindi?

Class factor associated with English is a valid point but there is no way to go about it without doing serious damage & earning hatred of those who will resent any imposition.

Sometimes, best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Let make it compulsory for hindi speakers to learn any one of the regional languages and vice versa problem will be solved and it will bring some sense of integration ..what you people say ? Anyhow human is using only 3% of his mental ability according to research let them learn something good

Won't happen, the march of time cannot be reversed. English is already the chosen language, no diktat will ever reverse it. Do you believe that there is anyone in S.India who will give up all that English has to offer, to learn Hindi?

Class factor associated with English is a valid point but there is no way to go about it without doing serious damage & earning hatred of those who will resent any imposition.

Sometimes, best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I don't think people who rely on English for earning money know better English than Hindi, not even the South Indians can claim that. I have been in the IT industry for several years, and Hindi is still the most widely used language for social interaction in the workplaces in all MNCs. Fortunately or unfortunately the major language of interaction in India's reputed Educational institutions is Hindi because Hindi is the only language which cuts across the language divide in a multilingual student community, English is only restricted to the classrooms.

41% is Hindi Speakers not mother tongue

Implosion on languages should be removed

Nobody claimed that Hindi is a mother tongue of majority Indians , but it is understood and spoken by a majority of Indians, even if it is their 2nd or 3rd language. It is the most widely spoken and understood language in India especially compared to any other.

I don't understand this Tamil hatred for Hindi. And please don't say it is being forced upon you. Nobody is doing that.

Nobody claimed that Hindi is a mother tongue of majority Indians , but it is understood and spoken by a majority of Indians, even if it is their 2nd or 3rd language. It is the most widely spoken and understood language in India especially compared to any other.

I don't understand this Tamil hatred for Hindi. And please don't say it is being forced upon you. Nobody is doing that.
Problem is hindi wllas are all learning english,

for tamils 2 language id enough english for money and tamil because of well its tamil..

Hindi wallas
are learning english but telling us to learn their useless hindi just because of majority..

IF u want national lang choose quality not quantity.. so choose tamil over hindi

It will do good on long run even though its not easy..

U guys have no right to tell us learn hindi when u urself learn english

I don't think people who rely on English for earning money know better English than Hindi, not even the South Indians can claim that. I have been in the IT industry for several years, and Hindi is still the most widely used language for social interaction in the workplaces in all MNCs.

Disagree. You simply have no idea of how it is in S.india. Obviously your experience in IT was not in Bangalore or Chennai. In Bangalore, Hindi wouldn't be the widely used language, English would. Chennai is different(Tamil+English). That is true also of any & all MNC's in Bangalore/Chennai.

Fortunately or unfortunately the major language of interaction in India's reputed Educational institutions is Hindi because Hindi is the only language which cuts across the language divide in a multilingual student community, English is only restricted to the classrooms.

Depends on where the "reputed" institution is. Also the language of the speaker. I hardly think that you will be speaking Hindi in places like JIPMER, NIMHANS etc. Most people in the south would probably speak to each other in english if their language knowledge was limited only to their own or if the group comprised people of different languages. Hindi is unlikely to be a choice for S.Indians to speak between themselves.

Problem is hindi wllas are all learning english,

for tamils 2 language id enough english for money and tamil because of well its tamil..

Hindi wallas
are learning english but telling us to learn their useless hindi just because of majority..

IF u want national lang choose quality not quantity.. so choose tamil over hindi

It will do good on long run even though its not easy..

U guys have no right to tell us learn hindi when u urself learn english

Who the hell told you to learn Hindi ? Do you guys have comprehension issues down there in Tamil Nadu ? Thank god the Tamils I know in Delhi are far more intelligent than the members here.

And btw, what do you mean quality over quantity ? You are saying Tamil is better than Hindi ? How ? What kind of language racism is this ?

And please don't call anybody's language useless, you will hurt sentiments. People can say stuff which you may not like then. The Tamil members on this forum are a real shame to their state.

Who the hell told you to learn Hindi ? Do you guys have comprehension issues down there in Tamil Nadu ? Thank god the Tamils I know in Delhi are far more intelligent than the members here.

And btw, what do you mean quality over quantity ? You are saying Tamil is better than Hindi ? How ? What kind of language racism is this ?

And please don't call anybody's language useless, you will hurt sentiments. People can say stuff which you may not like then. The Tamil members on this forum are a real shame to their state.
what an idiocy both raina and sachin are cricketers will u say they are equal or sachin better??

Tamil is a classical language hindi is not .. think pls

Much confuse. There has been NOTHING from the Government about promoting Hindi as the national language or whatever.

A manufactured controversy, fucking hate the Indian media I swear.

its nothing but the drama of marginalised so called Dravidian parties specially DMK to get some limelight !!

what an idiocy both raina and sachin are cricketers will u say they are equal or sachin better??

Tamil is a classical language hindi is not .. think pls
This hogwash of classical language was done useless Dravidian parties. amazing that u are still sucking it !

its nothing but the drama of marginalised so called Dravidian parties specially DMK to get some limelight !!

This hogwash of classical language was done useless Dravidian parties. amazing that u are still sucking it !

Indiocy, since when sanskrit and odiya became dravidian

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom