What's new

One, Two, Three, Four, I declare a trade war.

Genesis

Reaction score
Country
China
China America trade rivalry has been going on for a while, recently there are talks of how "unfair" it is that China is prosecuting American companies. The truth is far from it.

China is prosecuting American companies, but are the charges unjust? No, Chinese prosecutors are lawyers, the same as American prosecutors, and let's face it, Americans are not known to take injustice laying down.

Examples of our media crackdown on Starbucks, KFC, and Apple are not only right, but a few countries are questioning why their country is not doing the same. Starbucks sells coffee at a price higher than in America, even though it's cost is lower. Apple have no same day release, it's policies are discriminatory to Chinese people, in the sense that Americans can return their iPhones, Chinese can't, and we are not even talking about the service stations, the extra cost, and more. KFC sent China poisonous food, ok, no one actually tried to defend that one. Except that China has poisonous food, and that somehow justifies American companies.

Defenders of these companies will point to Chinese don't have to buy them at that price or service. Both are valid points, until we look at the American media on Chinese products. Some Chinese products, indeed sucks, but why? Americans pushed their margin down so low that without cutting corners they be losing money. By the same logic Americans have no leg to stand on, if you don't like the quality, pay more. It's that simple.

Both side are getting vicious in the attacks on the other, but being American soft power extents to every corner of the globe, most believe Americans have the moral high ground. In fact they don't. They are actually worse. iPhones and Frappachinos are overpriced by the American CEOs, but Chinese product quality are more or less signed off by the same CEOs. They can claim they didn't know, but they must know that the price they negotiated is too low and the factory cannot make money doing this. This is also 2015, what did they think is going to happen.

There's also the argument we don't have to do it, that's an interesting proposition, until you worked in sales and actually know how difficult it is to sell something and unless something very wrong happens, you don't let go of a client, ever.

One, two, three, four, so it starts a trade war. We will always be on opposite sides, but any Americans think we are insane and nationalistic. Just go to any such articles on an American site and see the hate flow.

In the end, I will say, we are both right and both wrong. We are both right in that we are looking out for our own interests and telling what our people want to hear, but we are also wrong, because in this capitalist society, there can be no two tigers on one mountain, no two Mayweathers in one Ring, and no two Clintons in one white house, and if you do, brains are going on the wall. When it does, at least know, it's just business.

Last edited:
KFC should have greater quality control, I can't and wont dispute that because I don't want to eat tainted foods either, but KFC didn't send you trained food, it accepted it from a local - a Chinese supplier. This is the reason China needs greater quality controls, we don't have this problem because of our controls, China does because it's controls aren't fully established.

They need well established to be to prevent this type of occurrence though.

Husi Food is owned by an American company, but its a supplier based in Shanghai and it known as Shanghai Husi Food Co.

Info on Husi taken from China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan| Reuters

I still eat KFC, sometimes. The thing I have a problem with is quite a few people think it's just China attacking US companies for no reason and never the other way around. Obviously I'm not saying everybody.

While I agree some are silly and stupid, but the same can be said of American attack on Chinese companies.

Huawei not allowed into US for security reasons, ok I can accept that, but we do the same to Apple and all of a sudden Apple is too good to have NSA influence in it?

The point is we accept the high price of US goods, then by the same token, Americans need to understand, if your floor boards cost less than a meal in KFC, maybe it's your fault that your floor sucks.

I don't except the Chinese government to use apple, our government wont us Huawei, but Huawei isn't banned in the US, it's actually attempting an expansion into the US right now. It's not banned, it's just not competitive.

Exclusive: Huawei plans big push to sell its phones, wearable devices in U.S.

Two years after U.S. legislators branded it a national security threat, China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd is planning a campaign to win over U.S. consumers, rolling out new mobile phones and wearable devices backed by a marketing effort.

China's second-largest smartphone maker, already with more than $40 billion in annual revenue from a wide range of telecom gear and products, is preparing to introduce Americans to several of its smartphones and wearable devices this year, including its youth-oriented "Honor" phone, Huawei officials told Reuters.

The company's 2015 U.S. plans, which have not been previously reported, will encompass traditional advertising, online promotion and sports team sponsorships, said Huawei's U.S. spokesman Bill Plummer.

Huawei is changing its approach to marketing as it tries to shed its image as a purveyor of cheap technology products - a common perception issue for many Chinese companies. It's an important shift for a company that for years had been single-mindedly focused on engineering and relatively dismissive of consumer branding.

In December, it touted its new Honor 6 Plus phone on a billboard in New York's Times Square. Plummer said that was "a sign of things to come."

He declined to say how much Huawei will spend on its new marketing campaign or what sports team, or teams, it had in mind. It already sponsors London soccer club Arsenal, cricket teams in India and rugby clubs in Australia.

NEW SMARTWATCH

At the Mobile World Congress over the weekend in Barcelona, Huawei took the wraps off a smartwatch that will be sold in over 20 countries including the U.S.

Huawei now intends to appeal directly to consumers with several new phone models, both low end and high end. It hopes to secure deals with carriers, selling online through marketplaces, such as the one operated by Amazon.com, and on its own fledgling gethuawei.com U.S. direct-sales website.

It's unclear how open the carriers, who dominate U.S. sales, would be to carrying phones from Huawei, a brand that remains unknown to the majority of American smartphone users. Reviews of its high-end phones, which can cost hundreds of dollars without a plan, have been generally positive.

Still, the U.S. market is dominated by Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Samsung Electronics (005930.KS). None of the four biggest U.S. carriers - Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile - currently sell Huawei phones on their websites and all declined to say whether they have had talks with the Chinese company.

Huawei said in 2013 it would focus on other markets after its products were labeled a national security risk in a U.S. Congressional report, which said Beijing could use Huawei equipment for spying. Huawei denied the report, but Chief Executive Ren Zhengfei, who founded the company after leaving the Chinese military, told reporters at the time he felt stuck in a U.S.-China trade war.

A White House-ordered review found no evidence of spying.

Lawmakers' concerns revolve primarily around Huawei's networking equipment. And analysts say that a lack of brand recognition is a bigger hurdle for Huawei's smartphone ambitions than pressures from Washington.

Huawei currently has less than 1 percent of the U.S. market, according to research firm IDC. But it can perhaps draw inspiration from China's ZTE Corp (000063.SZ) (0763.HK), which has gained 6.4 percent of the U.S. market by selling cheaper smartphones and working with second-tier carriers like Boost Mobile, according to Ramon Llamas, a research manager at IDC.

Online sales, particularly as no-contract plans that require consumers to purchase a full-price phone gain in popularity, represent perhaps the best option for Huawei, said Gartner analyst C.K. Lu, adding that he sees it having a tough time signing carriers.

“The U.S. market is tough for anybody except Apple and Samsung,” said Lu.

Huawei's plan to broaden its U.S. offering is part of a campaign for "normalizing" perceptions of Huawei in America and elsewhere, said Plummer.

Though he declined to spell out what normalization entailed, most public discussion of the company has centered around the debate of whether its equipment allows China to spy on the United States, and until now Huawei has kept a low profile.

Other Chinese companies still prefer that route: another major Chinese handset maker, Xiaomi, has said it will take its first steps onto U.S. soil without smartphones, choosing instead to sell earphones and other accessories to test the market.

Exclusive: Huawei plans big push to sell its phones, wearable devices in U.S.| Reuters
government contracts, Apple also not banned in China.

I still eat KFC, sometimes. The thing I have a problem with is quite a few people think it's just China attacking US companies for no reason and never the other way around. Obviously I'm not saying everybody.

While I agree some are silly and stupid, but the same can be said of American attack on Chinese companies.

Huawei not allowed into US for security reasons, ok I can accept that, but we do the same to Apple and all of a sudden Apple is too good to have NSA influence in it?

The point is we accept the high price of US goods, then by the same token, Americans need to understand, if your floor boards cost less than a meal in KFC, maybe it's your fault that your floor sucks.

Huawei is not allow to bid on US infrastructure project for security reason, the US does not allow coreign company to bid on Local telecommunication infrastructure, they also refused Singtel for it.

Thats the same if AT&T start bidding for Chinese telecommunication infrastructure project, would you think Chinese government would have allowed?

Huawei on the other hand, have no problem selling mobile headset and mobile boardband modem in the US. Apple does not do telco infrastructure....they only sell laptop and phones....

government contracts, Apple also not banned in China.

As I said, Apple dont do telecommunication infrastructures...Why would China ban apple on government contract?

Is iphone or imac forbidded between CCP member?

As I said, Apple dont do telecommunication infrastructures...Why would China ban apple on government contract?

Is iphone or imac forbidded between CCP member?

They can't for official business, personally, they can buy anything. Apple affected but not really.

CISCO got rocked by this embargo, as they had a huge base in China before, and now they are out in the cold.

the truth is, Huawai is actually banned by U.S., Huawai is more than a cell phone producer.
Huawai = CISCO+SAMSUMG+...
let Huawai only sell cell phones in U.S. just like Google only manages its email service in China.
by the way, Apple is not banned in China, too. iPhone is very popular for most people.
China just does what U.S. gov. did to China companies, putting them outside the shopping list of govt.
I don't expect the Chinese government to use Apple, our government wont use Huawei, but Huawei isn't banned in the US, it's actually attempting an expansion into the US right now. It's not banned, it's just not competitive. It, like many Chinese brands in the US, has a trust issue that it's still struggling to overcome.

That, and we're a nationalistic people that like to "Buy American."

It's not banned, it just doesn't compete well.

If I want to buy a Hauwei phone I can, it will just be hard to support due to a lack of infrastructure.

Exclusive: Huawei plans big push to sell its phones, wearable devices in U.S.

Two years after U.S. legislators branded it a national security threat, China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd is planning a campaign to win over U.S. consumers, rolling out new mobile phones and wearable devices backed by a marketing effort.

China's second-largest smartphone maker, already with more than $40 billion in annual revenue from a wide range of telecom gear and products, is preparing to introduce Americans to several of its smartphones and wearable devices this year, including its youth-oriented "Honor" phone, Huawei officials told Reuters.

The company's 2015 U.S. plans, which have not been previously reported, will encompass traditional advertising, online promotion and sports team sponsorships, said Huawei's U.S. spokesman Bill Plummer.

Huawei is changing its approach to marketing as it tries to shed its image as a purveyor of cheap technology products - a common perception issue for many Chinese companies. It's an important shift for a company that for years had been single-mindedly focused on engineering and relatively dismissive of consumer branding.

In December, it touted its new Honor 6 Plus phone on a billboard in New York's Times Square. Plummer said that was "a sign of things to come."

He declined to say how much Huawei will spend on its new marketing campaign or what sports team, or teams, it had in mind. It already sponsors London soccer club Arsenal, cricket teams in India and rugby clubs in Australia.

NEW SMARTWATCH

At the Mobile World Congress over the weekend in Barcelona, Huawei took the wraps off a smartwatch that will be sold in over 20 countries including the U.S.

Huawei now intends to appeal directly to consumers with several new phone models, both low end and high end. It hopes to secure deals with carriers, selling online through marketplaces, such as the one operated by Amazon.com, and on its own fledgling gethuawei.com U.S. direct-sales website.

It's unclear how open the carriers, who dominate U.S. sales, would be to carrying phones from Huawei, a brand that remains unknown to the majority of American smartphone users. Reviews of its high-end phones, which can cost hundreds of dollars without a plan, have been generally positive.

Still, the U.S. market is dominated by Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Samsung Electronics (005930.KS). None of the four biggest U.S. carriers - Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile - currently sell Huawei phones on their websites and all declined to say whether they have had talks with the Chinese company.

Huawei said in 2013 it would focus on other markets after its products were labeled a national security risk in a U.S. Congressional report, which said Beijing could use Huawei equipment for spying. Huawei denied the report, but Chief Executive Ren Zhengfei, who founded the company after leaving the Chinese military, told reporters at the time he felt stuck in a U.S.-China trade war.

A White House-ordered review found no evidence of spying.

Lawmakers' concerns revolve primarily around Huawei's networking equipment. And analysts say that a lack of brand recognition is a bigger hurdle for Huawei's smartphone ambitions than pressures from Washington.

Huawei currently has less than 1 percent of the U.S. market, according to research firm IDC. But it can perhaps draw inspiration from China's ZTE Corp (000063.SZ) (0763.HK), which has gained 6.4 percent of the U.S. market by selling cheaper smartphones and working with second-tier carriers like Boost Mobile, according to Ramon Llamas, a research manager at IDC.

Online sales, particularly as no-contract plans that require consumers to purchase a full-price phone gain in popularity, represent perhaps the best option for Huawei, said Gartner analyst C.K. Lu, adding that he sees it having a tough time signing carriers.

“The U.S. market is tough for anybody except Apple and Samsung,” said Lu.

Huawei's plan to broaden its U.S. offering is part of a campaign for "normalizing" perceptions of Huawei in America and elsewhere, said Plummer.

Though he declined to spell out what normalization entailed, most public discussion of the company has centered around the debate of whether its equipment allows China to spy on the United States, and until now Huawei has kept a low profile.

Other Chinese companies still prefer that route: another major Chinese handset maker, Xiaomi, has said it will take its first steps onto U.S. soil without smartphones, choosing instead to sell earphones and other accessories to test the market.

Exclusive: Huawei plans big push to sell its phones, wearable devices in U.S.| Reuters

I remember you saying this in regards to Apple products. Here in the US Apple isn't a luxury brand, expensive, but ubiquitous enough not to constitute luxury. Heck, I have an iPad, an iPod and several other Apple devices and some non-Apple ones to like a Nexus 7. But in China, were taxes are higher, it does create a market of artificial luxury on goods that are not considered luxury elsewhere.

I wonder what is the typical price of a Starbucks coffee in US$ and Renminbi.

In PHP, a Cafe Latte is usually priced like these:

Small - PHP 110 (RMB 15.61, USD 2.49)
Medium - PHP 125 (RMB 17.74, USD 2.83)
Large - PHP 135 (RMB 19.16, USD 3.06)

Last edited:
Over-priced ! But so addicting...! :mad:

Grande caramel macchiato -- is $5.25 where i'm at.

Here in PHP, reading the Starbucks menu on an online guide, the Grande caramel macchiato costs about PHP 155 (or USD 3.51 / RMB 22)

Though the only thing I drink there is their Hot Chocolate. :o:

Here in PHP, reading the Starbucks menu on an online guide, the Grande caramel macchiato costs about PHP 155 (or USD 3.51 / RMB 22)

Though the only thing I drink there is their Hot Chocolate. :o:

haha. starbucks is good for people watching, as well. ;)

Back
Top Bottom